Author Topic: MBV - roll call for Richmond show, Thurs. 7/30  (Read 57165 times)

walkonby

Re: MBV - roll call for Richmond show, Thurs. 7/30
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 10:49:10 pm »
i would of love to have gone, just to see if i could snag one of those ultra rare julian's america rsvps.  sorry, but mbv (to me) is nothing more than moaning at loud frequencies through a fan to ultra pulse light strobe.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:37 am »
Have been avoiding this thead since I can't go due to various crap in my life and it being too flipping far away from north of Baltimore.  :'( :'( :'(  (You regulars know I'm crying over that.) But damnit Walkie, I had to respond to your comment. I flipping love your description. Yes, I fully understand what you are saying and why it doesn't appeal to all. That's cool. As it is, that's the kind of sound that sometimes completely enraptures me with complete ecstasy. I would absolutely love to experience the blissful sonic massage of MBV. For what it's worth, I sometimes describe my radio station as sounding like 'a herd of psychedelic cows shoegrazing'.

Can't help but wonder if Seth's bitch about the Live Nation exclusivity contracts has something to do with MBV not playing in either DC or Baltimore. Well, any band skipping this neck of the woods. 

Seriously, this one's killing me!

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 01:32:30 am »
I think MBV are a band that can play wherever they want and probably made that clear with LN from the getgo. At least I'd like to think that.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 01:54:56 am »
I think MBV are a band that can play wherever they want and probably made that clear with LN from the getgo. At least I'd like to think that.

Never underestimate the evil that is Live Nation!

azaghal1981

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 02:03:43 am »
Maybe they just wanted to play somewhere more low-key?

Bands who do tours of mostly LN venues still play 930 all the time.
احمد

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 09:42:12 am »
Someone asked on The National's facebook page how Richmond got a MBV show when other major east coast cities haven't seen them in 18 years and they responded that "several bands including Dinosaur Jr" told Kevin that The National was the best venue in the country and that's why they picked there. I'm sure that's mostly promotional hyperbole, but apparently J Mascis' recommendation (they had just played there in April) had something to do with The National getting that show.

wml7

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
hmm not sure it's the best but it's pretty good.  Sound wise 930 is much better then the national.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:19 am »
i would of love to have gone, just to see if i could snag one of those ultra rare julian's america rsvps.  sorry, but mbv (to me) is nothing more than moaning at loud frequencies through a fan to ultra pulse light strobe.
That's really funny that you think you'd get one.

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 11:57:37 am »
That's really funny that you think you'd get one.

killsaly

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:32 pm »
Jaguar, you cant make it? You will be missed...

Darth Ed

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 01:38:45 pm »
I'll be there. Really looking forward to it. Have to say I'm bummed Jaguar won't be there, since she's really the one who turned me on to shoegaze and MBV.

This will be my first show at the National and my first trip to Richmond. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 01:44:23 pm »
my first trip to Richmond.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

leave as soon as possible.
<sig>

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 02:50:43 pm »
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
As far as what? Where to eat? Hotel recommendations?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 03:28:05 pm »
hmm not sure it's the best but it's pretty good.  Sound wise 930 is much better then the national.

As with most venues that all depends on where you are in the house when listening to the show.  The sound at 930 kicks ass especially with the new system.  The National has sounded better over the last few months than it did when it first opened.  I have no idea if they got new sound people or if the people in place simply learned the equipment better, etc. 
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 03:33:53 pm »
This will be my first show at the National and my first trip to Richmond. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

The city itself sucks.  Take the bad parts about DC and magnify them 10x then take the good parts about DC and eliminate them, now you have the city of Richmond.  The slip (a few blocks south east of the venue) is the bar scene, but it can be a tad hoity toidy.  The only decent place for food close by, Gibson's Grill,  is partnered with the venue.  It is on the same block as the venue at the corner of 7th and Broad.  They have an early entry deal going for most show.  As far as parking goes, driving west on Broad Street, take a right on 7th and get in your left lane.  There is a deck that the club uses as its 'official' parking.  I believe it is $10 to park. 
FUKIT