Author Topic: British Sea Power  (Read 20353 times)

Bags

Re: British Sea Power
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
I skipped the opener, as I do so often (I'm not proud, not proud...).  Heard they were not good and WAY loud.  Well, BSP was WAY loud as well.  I do not know how you folks stand up front right next to the speakers...  I was halfway back, standing up on that little riser beside the bar that's always closed, so had really good sight lines.

Fantastic; I'd heard it was a great show, but it was more than I expected (it's hard to dazzle me on a Monday, as well).  The music was so full, yet so tight at the same time.  According to Kurosawa, this was not their most energetic show -- it *is* near the end of the tour.  All I can say is wow, a full-on BSP night must be silly sick.  A lot of fun -- great to meet lily and bungle, though I didn't get to chat much...next time.

Bags

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
  thanks bags and kosmo for the cds. most kind of you.
Thank YOU, though it did come kind of late....

:D

jkeisenh

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
   I do not know how you folks stand up front right next to the speakers...  
Ear plugs!  Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to preserve your hearing.  Music doesn't have to be that loud to be appreciated.

Bags

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2004, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by chimblysweep:

I do not know how you folks stand up front right next to the speakers...  
Ear plugs!  Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to preserve your hearing.  Music doesn't have to be that loud to be appreciated. [/b]
I've tried earplugs a couple times and they drive me CRAZY.  Are there better ones than those you buy at the club?  I gotta start though, I am so going to be deaf or have tinninitis (sp?)  -- I've got a slight ringing going on right now...

jkeisenh

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
  I've tried earplugs a couple times and they drive me CRAZY.  Are there better ones than those you buy at the club?  
Try looking at CVS.  I got some that come in their own carrying case-- they're white people skin colored and they're just little foam thingeys.  They work swell and since they have a tiny little carry case I can keep them in my bag...  If you're really concerned, CVS also carries the airline worker style bright orange ones.  But hey, you don't want to block out all noise, do you??

SomethingMild

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.asp

I use this style of earplugs at every show. Excellent frequency response. They don't distort the sound much at all. Way better than that foam crap they sell at the club. Well worth the $12.

Bags

« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by SomethingMild:
  http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.asp

I use this style of earplugs at every show. Excellent frequency response. They don't distort the sound much at all. Way better than that foam crap they sell at the club. Well worth the $12.
That's awesome.  I will get some -- the foam plugs you get at BC or 9:30 take so much bass & drums away, so then I end up putting them in so shallowly...I've bought the same kind from CVS for a camping trip, and -- yuck.

I hope, hope I can learn to love the ER-20s...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2004, 12:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Skeeter, I thought I spotted you -- in the back to the right of the soundboard.  I was going to say "hey" but it seemed pointless to attempt to converse while Kaito was playing and when they finished you had apparently moved.
That was probably me.  I had enough of them after 3 songs and went downstairs.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2004, 12:10:00 pm »
The earplugs at the clubs do suck, but they're better than nothing.  I think I got one of the last pair in that little machine last night.  BSP was LOUD, even with the plugs.

I need to get my hearing checked.  My ears have been ringing an awful lot lately.

Medusa

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2004, 01:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimblysweep:
  but the owl, man.  The owl.
I got to meet the owl after the show!  One of the drummers kindly brought him over after I mentioned how much I liked him (the owl or the drummer - you decide [j/k]).  ;)   The *one* night I didn't bring my camera!

Overall the gig was great!  It was the first time I'd seen them and actually, I like their sound better live than recorded.  I thought "Fear Of Drowning" in particular was excellent.

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »
:eek:
T.Rex

poorlulu

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »
it was a really good night...........another excellent performance from bsp......

i wish he'd taken his shoes off earlier though i like the mad, hopping whirly dances that are apparently hindered by footwear..............

i thoroughly hated the non inspired, cliche grrrrl pop that was the support band though........

lily1

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2004, 02:33:00 pm »
most ear plugs are very very uncomfortable. i always feel like i have pressure in my ears and its somewhat painful. i've tried at least 4 different brands. eckerd has a decent selection of them.

i've found that the coated foam ones are the most comfortable rathar than the straight foams ones that are not tapered.  

I've tried earplugs a couple times and they drive me CRAZY.  Are there better ones than those you buy at the club?  I gotta start though, I am so going to be deaf or have tinninitis (sp?)  -- I've got a slight ringing going on right now...

markie

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2004, 02:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
   :eek:  
I remebered to leave it at home.

Today I am listening to the whole delgados backcatologue on repeat shuffle.

Bags

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2004, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
  Today I am listening to the whole delgados backcatologue on repeat shuffle.
I'm a very lucky, grateful girl, so I am as well (though not on shuffle....)
   :)