Author Topic: Nissan Pavilion - thoughts?  (Read 26630 times)

Vas Deferens

Nissan Pavilion - thoughts?
« on: April 21, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »
Thinking of seeing NIN there.....what does everyone think of this venue?  :)
(_|_)

ggw

Re: Nissan Pavilion - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »
Nissan makes DAR look good.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »
I really want to go to this show but because it's at Nissan, I won't even consider going!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 04:52:00 pm »
can you be specific as to why you're avoiding this venue??
(_|_)

Guiny

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 04:52:00 pm »
Never been to Nissan, can tell ya though, NIN rocked at the MCI Center not too long ago.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 04:53:00 pm »
I drive a Saturn.

Originally posted by Joe M.:
  can you be specific as to why you're avoiding this venue??

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »
it takes 3 hours to get there and 6 hours to get back.
OU812

Jaguar

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Never been to Nissan, can tell ya though, NIN rocked at the MCI Center not too long ago.
Honestly, I haven't been either but I stopped going to the Cap Center many years before they tore that place down and I equate them to similiar experiences. Have heard and read a whole lot of things about the place that fit exactly everything that I hate about large arenas. You are just way too far away, sound often echos or gets lost, the crowds are too much for me, and the parking is insane. Plus, you usually pay much more for a ticket without the intimacy of smaller venues. The 9:30 Club is about the largest that I prefer to go. But that's just me.

I might consider MCI, which I've never been to either, for a rare occassion but haven't the slightest desire to ever venture into the Nissan experience. It would take all of the original Beatles; early days style; performing for me to take the plunge.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 05:13:00 pm »
Didn't you already see that the first time around?

Originally posted by Jaguar:

[qb] . It would take all of the original Beatles; early days style; performing for me to take the plunge. [/b]

Lamb007

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 05:13:00 pm »
WORST. VENUE. EVER.

It's oversized, over priced, impossible to get to, and impossible to get out of. It once took me 3 hours to get home from a sold out show there. And I lived in Manassas at the time.

The quality of concessions is below average even for a big corporate amphitheatre.

You cannot escape the corporate sponsorships as you are bombarded from every angle (much like at FedEx Field.)

The entire environment is stale and decidedly un-rock and roll.

Now, having said all that...the sound is quite good for an outdoor venue and the projection screens are good enough that even lawn seats aren't bad.

The actual concert experience is fine but the amount of frustration you'll experience before and after might affect the fondness of your memories.

If you really love the band, the quality of venue shouldn't deter you. But if you are on the fence, this is a really lousy place to see a show. If you go, take the afternoon off and leave an hour earlier than you were planning.

Jaguar

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakajima, Fired by Mascis:
  Didn't you already see that the first time around?

Originally posted by Jaguar:

[qb] . It would take all of the original Beatles; early days style; performing for me to take the plunge. [/b]
[/b]
Nope. This may shock you but I was too young.

pm79

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »
Six hours to drive to from College Park. Only one hour back, but that was after sleeping in the car for three hours after the show. Not worth it. Unless you happen to live in Bristow, VA, I guess. But even then it might even take hours to get there... Otherwise, it was OK.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »
Getting to and from Nissan is the main issue.

The NIN show is on a weekday.  You can assume it will take approximately three hours to get there from DC.  That's no hyperbole.  Getting home might be a little better, but it will still take you an hour or so to get out of the lot after the show.  Since the parking attendants are hourly employees, I think Nissan lets them off as soon as the show starts.  So it's a big clusterfuck when the show lets out.

The acoustics inside are like a big tent, but no more horrible than any other big venue.  If you are in the front section of the pavilion, it's okay.  The lawn is worthless in my opinion.

If you really want to see this show and you can leave work/school early and don't mind hanging out in the parking lot for an hour after the show and you have good pavilion seats, then go for it.

alex

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »
Yeah as mentioned, its such a hassle to get there and back.  Especially this year with gas prices the way they are, I'm even less excited about the place...even with a few shows I wouldn't mind checking out.

Once you're there, it's not so bad...typical, if not generic amphitheater setup.  Good sound, good projection, way overpriced beer.

mrpee

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 06:20:00 pm »
Don't forget the sobriety roadblocks that the Prince William County boys in blue routinely set up after big shows. Like shooting fish in a barrell and those fuckin' bullets hurt!