Author Topic: Nissan Pavilion - thoughts?  (Read 26631 times)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
Re: Nissan Pavilion - thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2006, 09:34:00 am »
every time you buy a ticket to a venue, you tell that band that it's OK if they play there

they have no way of knowing otherwise

so as much as I hear complaints about venues, they're usually followed by "well...of course...I couldn't miss THAT show"

and that's what bands count on when they play venues they know are bad...that everyone will go anyway

and why shouldn't they?

myuman

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2006, 04:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  every time you buy a ticket to a venue, you tell that band that it's OK if they play there

so as much as I hear complaints about venues, they're usually followed by "well...of course...I couldn't miss THAT show"

and that's what bands count on when they play venues they know are bad...that everyone will go anyway

and why shouldn't they?
Agreed, however the marginal shows are where the impact is felt. And with the parity in music (no big band), they are all marginal.  I for one get to nissan once a year or so.  But (I say this in complete honesty), it would be 3 or 4 if it wasn't for the venue.  I can't be the only one.

bearman🐻

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2006, 05:10:00 pm »
All the more reason to support Merriweather and see shows there.

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2006, 05:16:00 pm »
Which show will I see you at? Fall Out Boy, Gretchen Wilson, O.A.R. or Rob Thomas?

Originally posted by bearman:
  All the more reason to support Merriweather and see shows there.

sonickteam2

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:

and why shouldn't they?
this is like the post of the YEAR!! (and not just cause its from seth)

I constantly miss shows i want to go to because i dont like things about it.  the venue is a big one, i wont go to Nissan and i avoid almost at all costs seated venues, unless its a show i wouldnt mind sitting down for (i think the last seated non-Radiohead show i went to was in 2001).

people say i boycott a lot of things, but Seth is right, if you buy a ticket for a show at Nissan or DAR , you are agreeing with the fact that shows are happening there.

Radiohead breaks all these rules for me. I would see them in a raw sewage plant.

Merriweather, when i attend i get lawn or Pit tickets only.

(speaking of which, saturday night at Merriweather it rained so hard i thought i was at Bull Run!!!)

Bags

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2006, 05:35:00 pm »
I won't go to Nissan to see anyone.  Anyone.  May as well go to Phillie.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2006, 03:05:00 am »
Originally posted by Mike Rohsopht:
   (speaking of which, saturday night at Merriweather it rained so hard i thought i was at Bull Run!!!)
take the amount of rain on saturday night, multiply by three to five times, and compact the storm into about a two hour time frame. then you'll be a bit closer to what it felt like at bull run.

sonickteam2

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2006, 08:46:00 am »
Originally posted by thatguy:

take the amount of rain on saturday night, multiply by three to five times, and compact the storm into about a two hour time frame. then you'll be a bit closer to what it felt like at bull run. [/b]
i was at Bull Run....but we were sitting in the car, so i suppose it didnt seem as bad!

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
  i was at Bull Run....but we were sitting in the car, so i suppose it didnt seem as bad!
it probably wasn't as bad as i said it was, but it sure felt like it, and it was definitely way worse than saturday night.

eltee

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
It's sad - a woman in my office sends out a meeting maker for the Nissan shows so everyone can add it to their calendar in order to avoid the area or plan ahead.

Nothing new to say...Traffic is the #1 reason I won't go there. Also, Nissan doesn't have the lawn (imo) that MPP does.
 Took me about an hour to get in, almost three to get out. (This was late, mid-ninities, haven't returned.)
 The workers chatted, laughed and stood around watching us try to get out. I was right next to the road, I finally drove over the concrete parking pediment, through the grass onto the curb. Wish I had done it earlier. (Yep, in my little car.)
 Another half hour at the stop sign then finally home.

MPP used to be a pain to get to (3 hours in; 1 hour out) but that was years ago. Last time I was there, it was no more than 5-10 to get out and a breeze to the highway. One problem still remains for me is distance & traffic going to the venue, but that's my problem unfortunately.  ;)  

I agree with Seth. Traveling pains and personal preferences is why I don't go to DAR, Birchmere, or Nissan (even GMU can be a pain). Also, to give someone, anyone, the signal that I won't go there.  I don't think anyone is noticing my absence though.   ;)

sonickteam2

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Teezer:
  I don't think anyone is noticing my absence though.    ;)  
oh, sweetie, i am sure they are!

dw73

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »
i live in baltimore and am going to the NIN show. however, i'm leaving baltimore at 1pm to avoid everything. and as soon as head like a hole starts i'm out. with that being said i don't think nin will be a problem because tickets seem not to be selling so well.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2006, 09:29:00 am »
I checked out the Nissan for the first time last night (Bruce Springsteen). I had no trouble getting in and getting out, but I did leave in the middle of the last song of the encore (I researched the set list the previous night).

The venue looks great. The sound is 100 times better than the sound at DAR. The walk from the venue to the parking lot is under 5 minutes.

My vote for the worst venue EVER is Shoreline Ampitheater in Northern California. Sound is horrendous; there are no big screens for the lawn people, and the walk to the parking lot is almost half a mile(!)

Bruce was amazing, btw.
(_|_)

Bartelby

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2006, 11:45:00 am »
Amen to that, Seth.  Sadly, some of my favorites are playing Nissan and DAR...I won't go.  Glad this past weekend was okay, but holy cwap - one weeknight show and the full Rt. 66 rush-hour/car wreck/overturned tanker experience and you will give up concerts - other than those at the 930 - forever...and that's just GETTING there. El Tee can talk to the parking lot nightmares!!!!!(Hint:  take a potty chair, Antiseptic handy wipes, your mace, a sleep mask, some Valium and at least enuf food for two meals.  ;)  )

Relaxer

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2006, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I won't go to Nissan to see anyone.  Anyone.  May as well go to Phillie.
Same with me. I won't go to any of the outdoor places, simply because of the commute from Cap Hill. But especially Nissan. I did it once, I spent more than 4 hours total in the car and got home three hours before I had to get up. I wouldn't go if my own band was playing there.
oword