Author Topic: The 2010 Albums Thread  (Read 72981 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: The 2010 Albums Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2010, 07:37:01 pm »
Around. Just choose to take a break.

Yes, saw the Phish fracas. Luckily, I have no desire to attend so never got hooked or hung up in that net. I do my swimming elsewhere.

Missed you William the Great. You always make me smile like this:  ;D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2010, 09:16:53 am »
Speaking of Sharon Jones, her new one leaked a few days back.

As did Alcest.

How can it have leaked if people who legally pre-ordered it, have it in their hands?

Just sayin'...
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2010, 07:20:50 am »
So...
"Trans-Continental Hustle is a big step for the band: their first record for their new label and their first time working with über-producer Rick Ruben.
Ruben is well-known for his career-making (and career-reviving) turns behind the boards, but here I?m not sure he?s done the band a service. Gogol Bordello
is first and foremost a live band, so their music works best when it sounds like it?s being played in a live setting. Steve Albini and Jim Sclavunos had
the right idea; the rawer, more bare-bones quality of their albums made a better conduit for this band?s unique energy."

How could anybody not see this coming?

(rest of the review is here.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2010, 07:30:01 am »
Missed this earlier. Guess it didn't "leak" technically, then.
How is it? Still yet to hear it.

Speaking of Sharon Jones, her new one leaked a few days back.

As did Alcest.

How can it have leaked if people who legally pre-ordered it, have it in their hands?

Just sayin'...
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2010, 11:42:58 am »
Re: The new Alcest.

Except for the last track, I hate it. Very sad as I absolutely love the previous release.

Thought that I wrote my thoughts on this in here somewhere but maybe it was in an email to someone or maybe some other site.

Unfortunately, Neige chose to use that horrid monster form of singing, if that's what you want to call it. Totally ruins the entire album which would otherwise have been very good.

Edit:
Go back a page in this thread. It's there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:44:43 am by Jaguar »

rocknocerous

« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2010, 11:51:08 am »
Hey guys,
   I really like your thread. There is a ton of information here and a lot of bands that I will have to check into. I'd like to add the band that I play in to the Mix. We are not some huge act, we play The State Theatre in Falls church, (hoping to do 930) soon. We just put out a new song and are releasing a single May 7th. "Stars Align" is the debut track and it's produced by Scot Spelbring. I'd love to get some feedback from seasoned music listeners. Let me know.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:44 am »
So...
"Trans-Continental Hustle is a big step for the band: their first record for their new label and their first time working with über-producer Rick Ruben.
Ruben is well-known for his career-making (and career-reviving) turns behind the boards, but here I?m not sure he?s done the band a service. Gogol Bordello
is first and foremost a live band, so their music works best when it sounds like it?s being played in a live setting. Steve Albini and Jim Sclavunos had
the right idea; the rawer, more bare-bones quality of their albums made a better conduit for this band?s unique energy."

How could anybody not see this coming?

(rest of the review is here.

Ah! Totally forget I just put this on my iPod, gotta listen to it when I get a chance.
‼‼?‼‼

Jaguar

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »
Hey guys,
   I really like your thread. There is a ton of information here and a lot of bands that I will have to check into. I'd like to add the band that I play in to the Mix. We are not some huge act, we play The State Theatre in Falls church, (hoping to do 930) soon. We just put out a new song and are releasing a single May 7th. "Stars Align" is the debut track and it's produced by Scot Spelbring. I'd love to get some feedback from seasoned music listeners. Let me know.

It would greatly help if you posted a link or something.

Welcome to the forum. When a few start newbie bashing, just ignore them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »
New SJDK album is fantastic! Great variety of styles and I think all artists should be forced to record on 8 track analog equipment
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »
New SJDK album is fantastic! Great variety of styles and I think all artists should be forced to record on 8 track analog equipment

:o  :D ;) ;D 8)
😐 🎶

rocknocerous

« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2010, 01:13:15 pm »
Haha,
  Thanks for the kind words. Well, shoot, Facebook link work? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sematic/49638971047 Thanks for the words. I know I'm not as much of a music expert as some. I go on pitchfork and some indie sites but I'm into a lot of rock. I've grown up around here, been to a bunch of shows, and I guess I'm looking to get more into the DC scene. Our type of music is a little less indie and doesn't fit in at say, Black Cat or something like that, but I'm hoping one day to branch out to 930 from State Theatre. It's definitely tough being a musician around here, but I'm hoping in time that I can make something that folks from our area truly appreciate.

killsaly

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2010, 04:11:41 pm »
I just released a mixtape of covers, remixes, and video game music updates.  It features artists like Foals, SPC ECO, mc chris, MC Frontalot, Optimus Rhyme, Seal, Placebo, Bonde Do Rolê, and myself along with video game music remixes of SNES and NES tunes (Final Fantasy games, Little Nemo, Tetris Attacks and others), done (mostly) drum and bass style. Also a couple of beats I made for rappers that never were used. I usually wouldnt promote my nerdy solo electronic work here, but i thought a few of you might dig some of the tracks.  My webpage has links for individual tracks and the album as a ZIP file, along with track and sample notes.
http://www.campaigntrail72.com/
This is the last release of this sort that i will be doing as i am focusing on my electronic shoegaze band now that my keyboardist is not gone for work so often.

azaghal1981

« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2010, 05:08:42 pm »
Excited to hear this:
'Does It Look Like I'm Here?' is the third official album by Emeralds (after "Solar Bridge" on Hanson, and the self-titled LP on their own Wagon and Gneiss
Things imprints, as well as countless small edition tapes and CDRs on a host of labels) and once again it presents another radical new direction for this
Cleveland trio.
It sees the group moving from playing single oscillator analog synthesizers to really complex analog and analog/digital hybrid as well a great deal of
guitar synthesizers, not to mention fine tuning their skills as brilliant tunesmiths. Simply put, the results are outstanding.
Comprising of a number of tracks from their recent  ultra limited 7" vinyl series on Wagon, as well new compositions exclusive to this release. This fine
selection of tunes surpass anything they have achieved in their 5 year career. Perfect melodies intertwined with ripping sequences and a guitar sound that
floats perfectly throughout. Although most tracks cover new ground in that they follow a shortened 'pop format', more long form cuts such as the towering
'Genetic' and the title track will give fans of their earlier work something to grab onto, or totally let themselves go depending on the state of mind.

Having spent all their lives in the relative isolation of Cleveland means their music has developed into a vital, stunning unique hybrid that may have
not been able to blossom in more active urban centres.
'Does It Look Like I?m Here?' heralds a turning point for all those involved and is perfect vivid soundtrack to emerge out of the recent harsh grey winter.
Fresh, shiny and totally essential 
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »
The Dolly Rocker Movement
"Our Days Mind The Tyme"

On Bad Afro Records

Available for Download on Feb. 22, 2010

Fun Garage Pop Psychedelia from Australia.

Getting ready to prepare several songs to upload to the station.

The official US release of The Dolly Rocker Movement CD is on it's way. Listening parties in L.A. on June 2nd.

To show you how little I pay attention to mainstream Indie, I had no idea who the 2 new members are. I just knew of them mostly from an English label that I have some affiliation with and one from Denmark who mailed me the CD to air on Air Atlantic Underground Radio.

"Come get your groove on with Australia's Dolly Rocker Movement as they celebrate their official U.S. record release of their latest album, "Our Days Mind the Tyme" and the debut of their new U.S. band members, including Daniel Darling and Jimmy Sweet formerly of Hot Hot Heat. Records will be available at the event. You don't want to miss it!"

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
<sig>