Author Topic: *ROLL CALL* WED 10/14 They Crooked Vultures @ 9:30 Club  (Read 31244 times)

azaghal1981

Re: *ROLL CALL* WED 10/14 They Crooked Vultures @ 9:30 Club
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 11:14:52 am »
Wow. Philly, Boston and Detroit are all on Dime now.

Come on DC!

Yeah they played the same setlist at every show and I can d/l one of them and pretend but it still won't be the same. :)
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 01:20:29 pm »
Pretty good show.  The place was jam packed.  I didn't bring my camera because I thought the no camera policy would be strictly enforced.  So when TCV came on everyone and their mothers had a camera.  Taking pics and videos left and right.  I just now noticed the policy was changed later that night.  Great, just great.  Overall it was a great show and they sounded great.  Didn't notice anyone with a cat t shirt  ;D

i was upset, wml7 :'( . . . i couldn't find my funny cat shirt so had to settle for a trey anastatio shirt.  then it took me 3 hours to get from my house to the club, due to the worst 66 traffic i've seen in a while.  got there at 8:30, fought my way to the lower right bar for the show.  great sight line, awesome sound, hard hitting "generic" rock show.  kid in front of me taking the world record of fucking pictures with his fucking iphone the entire fucking show.  jesus, how many fucking pictures from a fucking hour and a half show do you need??  according to his screen, by 10:15 he had taken almost 200.  and right when the boys took the stage, some a-hole (literally) decided to let a god awful fart that covered a twenty person radius, causing people to hold noses and look around in disgust at any guy next to them.  anybody catch the girl being dragged out from the front half way through show . . . and josh's lovely comment, "you people having a good time, because i can't tell.  i love being in this band."  thought it was hysterical to look up at the balcony to see a sea of frowny faces attatched to people in stone still frozen shadows of people who should be having a great time.

i love dc, for the fact that after the show, i went down 9th, turned on g and stopped at the pizza by the slice place between 13th and 14th, sat in my car listening to quiet after show music in my car eating the best pizza at that time of night.  great night.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:22:38 pm by walkonby »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 01:25:56 pm »
I'll echo pretty much everything said in here.  Great show.  These guys know what they're doing. 

Seeing Dave drum is one of the highlights of my concert-going life.  The dude is intense.

I can't really say which songs stood out, as I only recognized the three they released teaser clips of.  But the whole show was great.  I'm so glad they don't go along with the bullshit encore thing most bands do.

Got a handshake from Dave after the show.  Good guy.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 01:26:27 pm »
i love dc, for the fact that after the show, i went down 9th, turned on g and stopped at the pizza by the slice place between 13th and 14th, sat in my car listening to quiet after show music in my car eating the best pizza at that time of night.  great night.
I prefer the Jumbo Slice at 13th and U and the Real Original Jumbo Slice in Adams Morgan (not the Original Jumbo Slice a block away... the really dumpy Arab-ran one).

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 01:27:21 pm »
I'm so glad they don't go along with the bullshit encore thing most bands do.
Yeah, fuck bands playing more songs!

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 01:35:54 pm »
It isn't playing more songs when you plan the encore as a regular, guaranteed part of the setlist.  In that case, it's the same as TCV planning their whole set, and not including an encore.

Why leave the stage and make the fans cheer for five minutes, when you could just play another song in that time?

nkotb

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 01:37:38 pm »
Ding ding ding.  How many actual real encores do you think you've seen in your life (i.e. not planned ones).  One or two, tops?

Why leave the stage and make the fans cheer for five minutes, when you could just play another song in that time?

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 01:49:51 pm »
Ding ding ding.  How many actual real encores do you think you've seen in your life (i.e. not planned ones).  One or two, tops?

Super Furry Animals played a semi-legit encore in New York a few weeks ago.

Other than that, none.  When the encore break is specifically written in the setlist, it's lost all meaning.  As much as I love Wilco shows, their standard two encore deal is a bit frustrating, especially when the offstage time inches closer to the venue curfew.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 01:51:10 pm »

uh, to give band members a 5 minute break?  so they can:
- rest their throats/fingers/arms
- consume drinks/drugs/etc
- change shirts
- talk/plan the encore
- take a step back and gauge the crowd
- etc

encores have become the modern-day intermission - just shorter, people don't have time to file out of the room and then back in. in the end, i'll bet they allow the band to play longer and us to get more music than if they played straight through (90 minutes straight through, vs. 120 minutes with two 5 minute breaks... i'll take option B).

yup, that sounds about right.  best one i ever experienced was peter gabriel, montreal forum, summer of 1992 or 1993 - he did two encores, and after 10 minutes the crowd was still going bonkers, ao he came back out a third time and did a dreamy solo version of "biko" on the keyboard with the proviso "fine, one more, but this is to calm you lot down so you finally go home!".  it was beyond awesome.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:53:00 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 01:53:44 pm »
This is as nancy-sounding as wearing ear plugs.

Changing shirts? Resting?  I thought we were talking about rock bands here?

- change shirts
- talk/plan the encore
- etc

James Ford

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 02:16:45 pm »

- change shirts
- talk/plan the encore
- etc

haha took the words right out of my fingers

azaghal1981

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »
It isn't playing more songs when you plan the encore as a regular, guaranteed part of the setlist.  In that case, it's the same as TCV planning their whole set, and not including an encore.

Precisely why encores are completely retarded.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 02:33:02 pm »

and your take on this sounds really self-centered and greedy.  what, give the band a break?  they've only been screaming, sweating and jumping around for 60 minutes!  I DEMAND MORE ENTERTAINMENT NOW.  NO, I CAN'T WAIT 5 MINUTES.

i've seen lots of band members come out in fresh shirts for the encore.

and i suspect that i'm in the minority here, but not wearing earplugs when you're going to be on a loud stage night after night is about as responsible, in my books, as not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle.  you're free to do it, maaaaaan, but you're risking your well-being to look cool... and stupid.  but whatever, go for it.  musicians don't need to hear well, right?  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:50:49 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 02:57:17 pm »

and i suspect that i'm in the minority here, but not wearing earplugs when you're going to be on a loud stage night after night is about as responsible, in my books, as not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle.  you're free to do it, maaaaaan, but you're risking your well-being to look cool... and stupid.  but whatever, go for it.  musicians don't need to hear well, right?  
This.
احمد

RustyOrgan

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 03:00:39 pm »
There was no need for anyone to have worn earplugs last night.