Author Topic: *ROLL CALL* WED 10/14 They Crooked Vultures @ 9:30 Club  (Read 31227 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: *ROLL CALL* WED 10/14 They Crooked Vultures @ 9:30 Club
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2009, 11:41:45 am »
The Detroit recording is the best I've heard so far.  Boston is kinda muddy....haven't heard Philly yet.

Anything better than Detroit available?

hemisphire

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »
I think the Stubb's show (dime) is the best I've heard, but I'm basing that on not hearing any other US ones, only ones from Europe.

Cali

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2009, 05:42:01 pm »
i enjoyed the music, but not their voices

Yeah, they were pretty decent.  I made the comment (and this is no judgment one way or another on their music), but they're one teen drama soundtrack away from being known.  Half of those songs would've been right at home on the OC.  Not sure I cared enough to listen more, but they were definitely enjoyable.

I thought the opener was pretty awesome.

But I'm a sucker for quirky beatlesy psych-pop.

mekmad

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2009, 05:45:56 pm »
This was on the NPR blog:

We're recording the show. The band will mix it and, if they like what they did, we'll have it online soon. Stay tuned.

Scroll halfway down..
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/

azaghal1981

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2009, 05:47:38 pm »
Someone posted a comment on Dime on the Philly show page saying that he/she taped the DC show minus 1.5 songs.
احمد

lagas

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2009, 10:29:45 am »
man up!

zorra

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2009, 03:32:51 pm »
i just watched this the other night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vRf-oI1088

nice.  except the "creepy" song about kids that paul sings in the start of the special, it was a hoot.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:57 pm »
Im all for the Manics rule of no encores. Hell theyve been doing this for awhile now and it works and its not some 10 song set they play. Its about 17 songs (if I recall) - and even gives Nicky a break while James plays acoustically. The band (which is not so young anymore) still has the energy and by the time theyre done - thats it. They gave it their all and that is what is needed.

And sorry - unless youre the Pet Shop Boys or Erasure and have elaborate sets and costumes - there is no need to take a 5 min break to change your shirt. And this does not refer to bands like REM and The Cure or any other band that has a vast supply of albums and will play for 3 hours. Sure, of course they need a rest.

Ive also seen the Dandys do their lovely 3 hour sets - I think the only breaks they took - were really when Zia left to go pee.

But I see so many bands playing 10 songs (sometimes less) and then walk off for 3 mins to come back. Thats just so not needed. Im sorry - youve got 2 f'ing albums and you need an encore. How about you play and we decide if we wanna see more. It was funny to see Airborne Toxic Event walk off to never come back and play their encore they had listed. The crowd was awful.
HeyLa

Cali

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2009, 11:15:17 pm »
It was funny to see Airborne Toxic Event walk off to never come back and play their encore they had listed. The crowd was awful.

was this the NY shows or the DC show? i cant remember last weeks set.

i agree, i dont like the fake encores either - just play all the songs. if the band needs a break, just say so and take one like the dandys do or let one person play something acoustically while the others have a break.

i've noticed most crowds at shows here leave as soon as the last song is played. many really begin to filter out about 1.5 hours into the show. i dont leave until the lights come on and the techs start removing equipment, unless i dont care for the band

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2009, 11:16:54 am »
Cali - That was a NYC Airborne show - but it wasnt either of their 'scheduled' shows at Webster Hall. It was some show being promoted by Rolling Stone magazine the night before their first show at Webster Hall. It was some guestlist-only party, which was really a bunch of 20-somethings who must have consumed mass quantities of free beer, because every other sentence out of their mouth was 'I am so drunk. Lets make out'. And then theyd all push and shove to the front just so they could talk and make-out with each other during the show.

I was beyond horrified and the lead singer of ATE didnt look too happy either. RS really messed up - the place was half full and since the doors opened like 3 hours + before ATE came on - most people were _really_ drunk.

Electric Touch opened and apparently that was a train wreck as well.

I missed most of the early excitement as I was watching the Kings get their ass handed to them by the Rangers. Truly horrific night!

The ATE covers were quite good, but they did play a lot of them.

Im with you on not leaving till the lights are up and Im literally being told I have to leave. I was pleading with security at Roseland as one of the techs was trying to get me a setlist from the Pysch Furs. Alas, no setlist for any of us.
It was funny to see Airborne Toxic Event walk off to never come back and play their encore they had listed. The crowd was awful.

was this the NY shows or the DC show? i cant remember last weeks set.

i agree, i dont like the fake encores either - just play all the songs. if the band needs a break, just say so and take one like the dandys do or let one person play something acoustically while the others have a break.

i've noticed most crowds at shows here leave as soon as the last song is played. many really begin to filter out about 1.5 hours into the show. i dont leave until the lights come on and the techs start removing equipment, unless i dont care for the band
HeyLa

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2009, 12:55:48 pm »
Sorry for checking in so late.  Had a great time.  Good to meet you cali.  Shawn (shaun?) and Emily congrats again.  See all y'all at another show soon.
FUKIT

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »
Seems like every show they've played so far has a recording out, except DC.  Was club security that strict?

wml7

« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:19 pm »
Seems like every show they've played so far has a recording out, except DC.  Was club security that strict?

nope security was very lax that evening that's why I was upset I didn't bring my camera.  oh well  ;D

wml7

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:55 pm »
Sorry for checking in so late.  Had a great time.  Good to meet you cali.  Shawn (shaun?) and Emily congrats again.  See all y'all at another show soon.

thanks again for the ticket  ;D