Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3223231 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10215 on: February 05, 2021, 05:42:47 pm »
I have heard of Timber but have not had. I had a Short Throw beer last night. The fact that both are gypsy brewed at and distributed by 12 Percent makes it sound sketch.

Jailbreak is still the worst brewery I've visited in Maryland.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10216 on: February 05, 2021, 06:44:56 pm »
The fact that both are gypsy brewed at and distributed by 12 Percent makes it sound sketch.

really???  yeah, that sounds completely sketch... i could see one of them sneaky on there, but both?

what happened?  i visited once, thought they were pretty decent.  they had a tropical IPA that worked for me.  can't remember what else i had, but we spent 2 hours there.  dunno if i'd ever go back, they were only slightly above average, but nothing i'd complain about.  this was summer of 2016 IIRC.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10217 on: February 05, 2021, 08:01:58 pm »

You’ve been to Brookeville Beer Farm? 7 Locks? The latter might be my least favorite in MD. Have friends who love it tho.

Space Freely

« Reply #10218 on: February 05, 2021, 08:07:13 pm »

You’ve been to Brookeville Beer Farm? 7 Locks? The latter might be my least favorite in MD. Have friends who love it tho.

I was going to say i defer to you and Yada for Maryland brewery commentary. I've been to Jailbreak and Brookeville once each. Both forgettable, though my sample size is obviously tiny. So grain of salt. Never heard of 7 Locks, but i'll make sure to avoid.

Yada

« Reply #10219 on: February 06, 2021, 06:00:01 pm »

I was going to say i defer to you and Yada for Maryland brewery commentary. I've been to Jailbreak and Brookeville once each. Both forgettable, though my sample size is obviously tiny. So grain of salt. Never heard of 7 Locks, but i'll make sure to avoid.

I've admittedly never visited a brewery in MD in search of good beer... It's always been purely social or to simply enjoy the outdoors while herding children.... Maybe I take that back, I went to Diamondback early in the haze craze which was above average beer, below average taproom and Sapwood, we probably don't need to go down that rabbit hole again.

7 Locks - Awful beer and have never set foot in their taproom
Brookeville Beer Farm - Awful beer, average setting, way too close to the highway for herding children.
Waredaca - Awful to mediocre beer, top tier setting for herding children
Lone Oak Brewery - Mediocre to average beer, top tier setting for herding children

The end.

Edit: *awaits wrath of walky regarding children at breweries*

Edit x 2: none of the breweries I mentioned would survive without families supporting them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 06:49:17 pm by Yada »

Space Freely

« Reply #10220 on: February 06, 2021, 08:21:43 pm »
Speaking of Maryland breweries, made a visit to Downtown Crown today and had my first Black Flag beer. Very nice Mexican stout. That's a style I really love, and at $19/four pack, the price was right to bring more home.

https://untappd.com/b/black-flag-brewing-company-cocoa-loco/4141771

Edit: I agree with Yada's reviews of Maryland breweries. My kid is too old to herd now, it's more about finding who serves the best root beer. I seem to remember Elder Pine doing to trick. They're my current favorite Maryland brewery to visit for the beer, atmosphere, and root beer.

I'd love to check out Cushwa at some point, if i'm ever over that way. Burley Oak too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:26:36 pm by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #10221 on: February 06, 2021, 08:31:14 pm »
Speaking of Maryland breweries, made a visit to Downtown Crown today and had my first Black Flag beer. Very nice Mexican stout. That's a style I really love, and at $19/four pack, the price was right to bring more home.

Edit: I agree with Yada's reviews of Maryland breweries. My kid is too old to herd now, it's more about finding who serves the best root beer. I seem to remember Elder Pine doing to trick. They're my current favorite Maryland brewery to visit for the beer, atmosphere, and root beer.

I'd love to check out Cushwa at some point, if i'm ever over that way. Burley Oak too.

I was really referring to "local" MD breweries.

I've been to both... Cushwa during the 2017 haze craze and Burley Oak one rainy beach trip day.

There's no reason to visit cushwa unless you're driving up 70 and Burley Oak is cool but I get some pretty deep Trumper/proud boy vibes from their crew (pure speculation).

Space Freely

« Reply #10222 on: February 06, 2021, 08:47:27 pm »

I've been to both... Cushwa during the 2017 haze craze and Burley Oak one rainy beach trip day.

There's no reason to visit cushwa unless you're driving up 70 and Burley Oak is cool but I get some pretty deep Trumper/proud boy vibes from their crew (pure speculation).

Yeah, Cushwa is like a 15 min detour on a long drive to visit family and Burley Oak is a stop on the way to the beach. So haven't done either.

« Reply #10223 on: February 06, 2021, 09:18:35 pm »
too old to herd now
make an estimate, how many different breweries has your kid been to? 50?
slack

Yada

« Reply #10224 on: February 06, 2021, 09:25:32 pm »

Yeah, Cushwa is like a 15 min detour on a long drive to visit family and Burley Oak is a stop on the way to the beach. So haven't done either.

Yeah, my family lives in western, pa so it's along the route. I stopped there pre thanksgiving one year and had pours and a bought a couple crowlers.

Space Freely

« Reply #10225 on: February 06, 2021, 11:16:55 pm »
too old to herd now
make an estimate, how many different breweries has your kid been to? 50?

I've been to exactly 240, she's been to approximately 187.

Space Freely

« Reply #10226 on: February 06, 2021, 11:22:23 pm »

Yeah, my family lives in western, pa so it's along the route. I stopped there pre thanksgiving one year and had pours and a bought a couple crowlers.

Would add 25 mins to the drive to my family in the Finger Lakes. Probably too much extra to bother. Fourscore is only 9 mins out of the way, I may shoot for that one instead.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10227 on: February 07, 2021, 10:52:12 am »

Tip of the hat to you. I cannot imagine getting anywhere close to that number, myself.

« Reply #10228 on: February 07, 2021, 11:50:13 am »

Ok 2021 probably won't be the best year to do this, but 2022 you and challenged are going to have to go head to head
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10229 on: February 08, 2021, 05:24:00 pm »