Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3171317 times)

atomicfront

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2295 on: April 03, 2013, 12:27:10 pm »
C'mon. The guy's built like a linebacker, has a hot young wife, and has better music taste that you and I combined. I'm betting his lager's pretty damn good too.

You wouldn't pay $6 or $7 for 12 oz for one of the best beers in the world, with an ABV of 11.2.

Yet you'd probably wouldn't think twice about paying $15 for 25.4 ounces of a totally mediocre bottle of wine. Or double that at a restaurant.

KBS is only sold in 12 oz bottles... so, regular/small bottles (not bombers).

Ouch! Too rich for my budget.

Well at 930 club even bad beer is more than that. 

If you want to drink the best beer in the world make it yourself.  Store bought stuff no matter what the cost is usually inferior.  That is probably true of most things.

I bet your lager tastes worse than Yuengling.

My wife isn't young, she is 35.  I am just very old, like you. 

Why would you think store bought beer would be better than stuff you make yourself.  My wife makes our butter and ice cream and both taste better than store bought stuff.  I am going to start making my own cheese soon as well.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2296 on: April 03, 2013, 12:40:28 pm »
I do not have the space nor the desire to make my own beer, or even wine for that matter. Besides, I don't drink that much to justify doing so. Buying a little here and there is fine with me. Just the price you pay for having someone else do it for you. I just can't go all that high in price. Again, trade-offs.

Yuengling: I can drink it occassionaly but I don't really like the stuff.

Sweets, just tell me if they sell the damn stuff in Delaware. No need for elitist beer crap games.  ::)  I'd only buy one bottle anyway just to see if I even liked the stuff! Not being all that much of a beer person, I am picky about my beers and often it has more to do with whether or not I can stomach the stuff since many of them don't agree with me.

Yada

« Reply #2297 on: April 03, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
I do not have the space nor the desire to make my own beer, or even wine for that matter. Besides, I don't drink that much to justify doing so. Buying a little here and there is fine with me. Just the price you pay for having someone else do it for you. I just can't go all that high in price. Again, trade-offs.

Yuengling: I can drink it occassionaly but I don't really like the stuff.

Sweets, just tell me if they sell the damn stuff in Delaware. No need for elitist beer crap games.  ::)  I'd only buy one bottle anyway just to see if I even liked the stuff! Not being all that much of a beer person, I am picky about my beers and often it has more to do with whether or not I can stomach the stuff since many of them don't agree with me.

http://bit.ly/Z8AWmv

James Ford

« Reply #2298 on: April 03, 2013, 12:49:04 pm »
35 is soooo young. That's when a woman hits her peak looks-wise, imo. Assuming she has taken care of herself.

Sweetcell makes a darn good IPA, but i think he'd be the first to tell you it doesn't measure up to Heady Topper or OTWOA.

C'mon. The guy's built like a linebacker, has a hot young wife, and has better music taste that you and I combined. I'm betting his lager's pretty damn good too.

You wouldn't pay $6 or $7 for 12 oz for one of the best beers in the world, with an ABV of 11.2.

Yet you'd probably wouldn't think twice about paying $15 for 25.4 ounces of a totally mediocre bottle of wine. Or double that at a restaurant.

KBS is only sold in 12 oz bottles... so, regular/small bottles (not bombers).

Ouch! Too rich for my budget.

Well at 930 club even bad beer is more than that. 

If you want to drink the best beer in the world make it yourself.  Store bought stuff no matter what the cost is usually inferior.  That is probably true of most things.

I bet your lager tastes worse than Yuengling.

My wife isn't young, she is 35.  I am just very old, like you. 

Why would you think store bought beer would be better than stuff you make yourself.  My wife makes our butter and ice cream and both taste better than store bought stuff.  I am going to start making my own cheese soon as well.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2299 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:39 pm »
Sweets, just tell me if they sell the damn stuff in Delaware. No need for elitist beer crap games.  ::)  I'd only buy one bottle anyway just to see if I even liked the stuff!

i'm not being an elitist, i'm trying to set your expectations, namely that chances are very low you're going to get any.  you're expressing a mild interest in trying the beer, while other beer nerds are stalking stores ready to buy the place out as soon as shipments arrive.  here in DC all the KBS sold out within hours. 

Sweetcell makes a darn good IPA, but i think he'd be the first to tell you it doesn't measure up to Heady Topper or OTWOA.

hey, we're working in ;D

i can honestly say that the majority of the best beers i've tasted over the past year have been homebrews.  then again, i've tasted a lot of homebrews.

heady topper, KBS, pliny, etc - these beers with a cult following have over-the-top flavor.  great thing about brewing your own is with some practice you can dial in that much flavor too.  making an exact clone of a commercial craft beer is really tough but you can get damn close or better yet make your own version/creation.
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #2300 on: April 03, 2013, 01:07:11 pm »
Thanks, Yada.

Nope.

Phew! One less bottle that Sweetcell has to worry about hoarding for himself.  ::)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2301 on: April 03, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »
i didn't get any.  sold out too quickly.

but whatever jag, you keep telling yourself that you can wander on down to the local beer retailer and get yourself some KBS at your leisure....

sorry for trying to inform you.
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #2302 on: April 03, 2013, 01:20:21 pm »
... to see if they have it or to even bother asking while I'm there buying wine or something else.

It was your typical condensending reply that irked me. Didn't even bother to note whether or not the state itself carried any. That's all I asked. I've been around in this thread enough to know that some of these beers are like trying to find sold out tickets to coveted shows. Let me decide if it's worth my time and effort to ask if I'm in the vicinity and care to bother.

atomicfront

« Reply #2303 on: April 03, 2013, 01:24:52 pm »
Sweets, just tell me if they sell the damn stuff in Delaware. No need for elitist beer crap games.  ::)  I'd only buy one bottle anyway just to see if I even liked the stuff!

i'm not being an elitist, i'm trying to set your expectations, namely that chances are very low you're going to get any.  you're expressing a mild interest in trying the beer, while other beer nerds are stalking stores ready to buy the place out as soon as shipments arrive.  here in DC all the KBS sold out within hours. 

hey, we're working in ;D

i can honestly say that the majority of the best beers i've tasted over the past year have been homebrews.  then again, i've tasted a lot of homebrews.

heady topper, KBS, pliny, etc - these beers with a cult following have over-the-top flavor.  great thing about brewing your own is with some practice you can dial in that much flavor too.  making an exact clone of a commercial craft beer is really tough but you can get damn close or better yet make your own version/creation.

I am sure different types of beers are harder to make an outstanding one than others.  Stouts and IPA's are probably harder.  I didn't like the IPA I made.   And I think I taste more bad commerical Stouts and IPA's than other types of beers. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2304 on: April 03, 2013, 01:29:53 pm »
It was your typical condensending reply that irked me.

any condescension is purely perceived.  i stated a fact in a neutral tone, if you wish to see negativity then there isn't much i can do!
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2305 on: April 03, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »

I don't think that applies to most things, but I know it applies to hummus.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2011/12/28/a_hummus_recipe_that_s_way_better_than_store_bought_.html

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2306 on: April 03, 2013, 04:32:05 pm »
hutch versus me . . . ok, good at times

ratbastard versus everybody . . . always great, for i enjoy the passion

atomicfront versus everybody . . . hes so unusual and original at times, bland and boring at others

sweetcell versus jag . . . the best.  the bickering topped by no other on here.  thank you.

by the way, i got kbs for the first time ever.  the place is "determing" how much one person can get, but it will either be two or four.  the other list i was on got shut down.  i did find some other beers in my purchase, like i found out that lag sucks is more than likely year round now, and that dogfish 120 is keg only for awhile.  got some more new stuff, but forgot now.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:34:22 pm by walkonby »

atomicfront

« Reply #2307 on: April 03, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »

atomicfront versus everybody . . . hes so unusual and original at times, bland and boring at others

sweetcell versus jag . . . the best.  the bickering topped by no other on here.  thank you.

by the way, i got kbs for the first time ever.  the place is "determing" how much one person can get, but it will either be two or four.  the other list i was on got shut down.  i did find some other beers in my purchase, like i found out that lag sucks is more than likely year round now, and that dogfish 120 is keg only for awhile.  got some more new stuff, but forgot now.

I guess I can seem like a grumpy old man at times.  It is strange that I have such a younger wife and that most chicks that are attracted to me are 20 years younger than me when I am so bitter to the world.  It is a mystery.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2308 on: April 03, 2013, 04:54:35 pm »
Anyways, back to KBS.....anyone seen it since yesterday?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2309 on: April 03, 2013, 05:07:15 pm »

I guess I can seem like a grumpy old man at times.  It is strange that I have such a younger wife and that most chicks that are attracted to me are 20 years younger than me when I am so bitter to the world.  It is a mystery.

oh come on, you have got to know the answer to that one, big guy.  older guys like younger girls/guys because it makes them feel that theyve still got it and younger girls/guys like older guys because they are fucking hot,    and . . . because everybody is obsessed with bigger:  bigger guys, bigger trucks, bigger meals, bigger beers, bigger boobs, bigger shows, bigger paychecks, bigger dicks, bigger brains, bigger houses, bigger words, bigger phones. im tired now and i will quit.