Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3215795 times)

brennser

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2640 on: May 30, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »
VT roadtrip was fun last week. HF birthday celebration was a little challenging with 30mph winds, 30 degree temperatures and camping in the snow  :o

James Ford

« Reply #2641 on: May 30, 2013, 04:09:38 pm »
I believe it's time for another 9:30 bottle share party.
 ;)

VT roadtrip was fun last week. HF birthday celebration was a little challenging with 30mph winds, 30 degree temperatures and camping in the snow  :o

brennser

« Reply #2642 on: May 31, 2013, 08:58:50 am »
Don't worry theres plenty to go around  ;D the sooner the better though, those hops are like dying flowers......

;)

Yada

« Reply #2643 on: May 31, 2013, 09:52:26 am »
Does Left Hand Brewing Company distribute anywhere in DC? If so, where can I pick up some Milk Stout Nitro?

brennser

« Reply #2644 on: May 31, 2013, 10:11:27 am »
Not DC but have seen it at Arrowwine

Does Left Hand Brewing Company distribute anywhere in DC? If so, where can I pick up some Milk Stout Nitro?

Yada

« Reply #2645 on: May 31, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
Not DC but have seen it at Arrowwine

Thank you sir! Had it for the first time a few months ago out of cask and have been craving it!

James Ford

« Reply #2646 on: May 31, 2013, 11:02:55 am »
My mom brought me 11 Heady Toppers in her luggage last week (free baggage check on Southwest, wish she had brought more!). One of the cans leaked all all over her the inside of the bag. Thought about licking the bag, but didn't.

Yada

« Reply #2647 on: May 31, 2013, 11:11:11 am »
My mom brought me 11 Heady Toppers in her luggage last week (free baggage check on Southwest, wish she had brought more!). One of the cans leaked all all over her the inside of the bag. Thought about licking the bag, but didn't.

Heh... already have plans for my summer trip up there. I'm basically checking a whole suitcase full of beer for the flight home.

James Ford

« Reply #2648 on: May 31, 2013, 11:17:38 am »
Got you beat! Driving to a work conference in Montreal in August and heading home via Vermont.

How much Dieu de Ciel, Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead and Lawsons do you think I can fit in a RAV4 with three people in it? Gonne have to put the dog on the roof, like Mitt did.

Heh... already have plans for my summer trip up there. I'm basically checking a whole suitcase full of beer for the flight home.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2649 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:46 am »
 ;)

bring it on!
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #2650 on: May 31, 2013, 01:00:17 pm »
We had a Honda Fit and it was low riding by the end of the weekend - RAV 4 should be able to take a bit more weight

we picked up 2 cases of Heady each

Lawsons was hard to find - there were beer geeks stalking the places (there are only 2 or 3) that had it so we had to settle for 2 bottles of Chinookered each

Frankly Hill Farmstead is a shitshow - the beer is good and I guess they are so popular they don't really have to give a shit but I would time your arrival at the brewery very very carefully, i.e. close to when it opens on a weekday because if there are more than 30 people ahead of you in line plan on waiting 2-3 hours for growlers/bottles - why I hear you say? Well i'm really not sure but everyone is buying the 5 growler limit plus bottles plus stemware, it takes (and I am not exagerrating here) literally 5 minutes to fill a growler - they have their taps on the lowest pressure setting. WHen all was said and done i ended up with a full growler of Abner, and 750s of Ephraim, What Is Enlightenment and Grassroots Legitimacy IPA plus 3 bottles of Arthur and 2 bottles of Grassroots Brother Soigne which were the only bottles available.

Then my buddy got the same amount of beer - when all was said and done we had four completely full coolers of beer heading back to DC

In retrospect maybe i should have gotten more Hill Farmstead but there you have it

Got you beat! Driving to a work conference in Montreal in August and heading home via Vermont.

How much Dieu de Ciel, Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead and Lawsons do you think I can fit in a RAV4 with three people in it? Gonne have to put the dog on the roof, like Mitt did.

James Ford

« Reply #2651 on: May 31, 2013, 01:29:08 pm »
Thanks, all good to know. I've read somewhat similiar reports elsewhere!

We should be hitting the area on a Thursday morning, so a noon stop at HF when the open, then stop at Alchemist, then Prohibition Pig for a late lunch, then Ben and Jerry's, then Warren Store for Lawsons (they get deliveries on Thurs, wonder how soon after I need to be there?), then drive to Burlington, have dinner and stay at hotel. Then Friday to Winooski Beverage for Lawson's (they get their delivery Friday) if we didn't get any or didn't have a chance to go to Warren Store.

Might also go to Magic Hat when in Burlington for the hell of it, but it's not a priority. Been there many years ago already.

My brother was up there in beginning of May, but they only made it to the Alchemist, Ben and Jerry's, and WArren Store (no Lawson's that day).

We had a Honda Fit and it was low riding by the end of the weekend - RAV 4 should be able to take a bit more weight

we picked up 2 cases of Heady each

Lawsons was hard to find - there were beer geeks stalking the places (there are only 2 or 3) that had it so we had to settle for 2 bottles of Chinookered each

Frankly Hill Farmstead is a shitshow - the beer is good and I guess they are so popular they don't really have to give a shit but I would time your arrival at the brewery very very carefully, i.e. close to when it opens on a weekday because if there are more than 30 people ahead of you in line plan on waiting 2-3 hours for growlers/bottles - why I hear you say? Well i'm really not sure but everyone is buying the 5 growler limit plus bottles plus stemware, it takes (and I am not exagerrating here) literally 5 minutes to fill a growler - they have their taps on the lowest pressure setting. WHen all was said and done i ended up with a full growler of Abner, and 750s of Ephraim, What Is Enlightenment and Grassroots Legitimacy IPA plus 3 bottles of Arthur and 2 bottles of Grassroots Brother Soigne which were the only bottles available.

Then my buddy got the same amount of beer - when all was said and done we had four completely full coolers of beer heading back to DC

In retrospect maybe i should have gotten more Hill Farmstead but there you have it

James Ford

« Reply #2652 on: May 31, 2013, 01:46:17 pm »
Has anybody had anything by Pretty Things?

My friend was recently up in Boston and brought me back a couple of bottles by them. He also tried some stuff by Jack's Abbey.

brennser

« Reply #2653 on: May 31, 2013, 03:05:08 pm »
Has anybody had anything by Pretty Things?

My friend was recently up in Boston and brought me back a couple of bottles by them. He also tried some stuff by Jack's Abbey.
I have and its not great, at least the ones I've tried.

Jacks Abbey is very good although I've only had Hoponius Union

brennser

« Reply #2654 on: May 31, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »
Other Vermont trip tips

Waterbury is great and we loved ProPig - interestingly not a lot of love for ProPig in the area - several people slammed it to us but we thought both food and service (and beer obviously) was excellent.

Blackback and The Resevoir also excellent beer spots - we liked the vibe at Blackback

In Burlington we ate at The Farnhouse Tap and Grill - its pretty highly rated but I thought it was just ok - plus the HF Edward I had there did not taste as good as several other at various places over the weekend.

We finished up the night at American Flatbread who have their own brewing outfit called Zero Gravity - had an excellent IPA on cask called TLA

Everyone in Burlington raves about Penny Cluse for breakfast - again I thought it was merely "ok"