Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3220719 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2655 on: May 31, 2013, 05:46:47 pm »
i havent posted my beer purchases in a while.  ive been kinda lazy on it actually, meaning ive been buying the same beers and not expanding.  seeing new labels, new names, new what is that and should i even bother to try it.  have i lost the zest to drink fine beer by laying around only caring about three or so breweries.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2656 on: May 31, 2013, 06:53:50 pm »
i had a poker night on wednesday at a friend's place who had a RIDICULOUS scotch collection.  he must have had at least 40 bottles, all fine stuff, all in a dedicated glass display case (we called it "the temple"). 

he also had a nice collection of belgian beers in the fridge.  over the course of the evening i had a chimay blue, delirium tremens, a duvel and a young's double chocolat stout which was damn fine too.  nothing earth shattering but certainly made for a nice evening of cards and classic belgian beers.  i had a few sips of scotch but every time my glass was empty i opted for a beer.  i suppose it was something of a waste because i'll likely never have access to such a collection again (at least not until i go back there, or back to brennser's) but my preferences are pretty clear.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2657 on: June 01, 2013, 02:51:43 pm »
Surprise! At MD stores!
Raging Bitch in 12 packs!
5/31
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2658 on: June 01, 2013, 03:07:20 pm »
Because they make better beer in Vermont than they do in Germany.

Quote from: Yada link=topic=11001.msg362359#
msg362359 date=1370029356
No direct flights out of BWI to Burlington.  :'(
[/quote

Why would anyone want to fly to Burlington, Vermont?  I actually was there after hiking to the state highpoints in New Hampshire and Vermont. 

are you on drugs?

in the interest of showing some forum discipline, i'm moving this out of "Dropping like Flies"...

VT > DE for beers is fact, certainly for the vast majority of craft beer lovers.  beer in germany has been taken over by the big guys.  sure, spaten is much better than bud/miller/coors - but it's no where near the quality of the craft beer coming out of VT.  the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead and Lawsons blow out anything from Germany.

i have a buddy who just came back from a 2 year secondment in Bavaria, and he told me he could get better german beer here in the states than he could over there.  other than Bamburg he said germany was disappointing for beer.  dopplebock is available only once a year - because that's the way it's always been done.  eff that.  if i want a dopplebock, gimme a goddamn dopplebock.  i should not have to check my calendar.  even Oktoberfest was only so-so - great party but mediocre drinking.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2659 on: June 01, 2013, 08:13:54 pm »
If you really think there its more good beer coming out of Vermont than Germany your
 opinions on beer are meaningless to me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:17:11 pm by atomicfront »

James Ford

« Reply #2660 on: June 01, 2013, 08:41:21 pm »
There may be more GOOD beer coming out of Germany, but there's more GREAT beer coming out of Vermont.

Actually, it's not coming out of Vermont, because the three best best brewers there don't ship beyond a 50 mile radius. And they don't need to, because people are driving or flying in and bringing it home with them.

But you wouldn't know anything about that.

If you really think there its more good beer coming out of Vermont than Germany your

TEM

« Reply #2661 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:50 pm »
Actually, it's not coming out of Vermont, because the three best best brewers there don't ship beyond a 50 mile radius. And they don't need to, because people are driving or flying in and bringing it home with them.

Gag.  You sound like the kind of person who drinks beer alone at a bar with a notebook.  Can you post your latest 500-word review from Beeradvocate.com?

James Ford

« Reply #2662 on: June 01, 2013, 10:14:06 pm »
You sound like someone who's never had the pleasure of drinking a Hill Farmstead beer.

Gag.  You sound like the kind of person who drinks beer alone at a bar with a notebook.  Can you post your latest 500-word review from Beeradvocate.com?

atomicfront

« Reply #2663 on: June 03, 2013, 09:11:19 am »
There may be more GOOD beer coming out of Germany, but there's more GREAT beer coming out of Vermont.

Yeah I am sure that the ten people who fly or drive int Vermont for their beer is the reason they don't sell outside a 50 miles area.  And I am sure no one flies to Munich to drink Hofbrau so that is the reason they have to ship their beer all over the world. Your posts on beer are getting more idiotic and more idiotic. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:13:41 am by atomicfront »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2664 on: June 03, 2013, 10:49:52 am »

we have a clear divergence of tastes here, so we're not going to agree.  you seem to like lagers, only - that goes a long way in explaining why you like german beer.  for me, most lagers are too flavorless.  take a pils and compare it to a stout, a belgian dubbel or an IPA - the pils is downright boring.  you're free to like less flavorful beer, but you're in the minority.  the growth in craft beer is coming from hoppy pale ales, imperial stouts, belgian witbiers, etc.

Yeah I am sure that the ten people who fly or drive int Vermont for their beer is the reason they don't sell outside a 50 miles area.  And I am sure no one flies to Munich to drink Hofbrau so that is the reason they have to ship their beer all over the world. Your posts on beer are getting more idiotic and more idiotic. 

and your posts are getting more and more ignorant.  you really should consider shutting up about things you don't know.  check out this tweet from The Alchemist Brewery: they sold every drop they canned on the same day it was canned., AKA none of it made it beyond the brewery because people were lining up to buy it on site.  i realize you're not familiar with the ins and outs of craft beer, so trust me when i tell you that this fact is beyond impressive.  why ship across the country when locals and tourists will come to you?  just ask the disappointed folks in boston.

and thank you for putting up Hofbrau as your example of standard bearer for german beer.  talk about frikken pedestrian.  it's an OK munich helles at best.  to put it up against vermont craft beer - pfffff...
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2665 on: June 03, 2013, 11:18:12 am »

we have a clear divergence of tastes here, so we're not going to agree.  you seem to like lagers, only - that goes a long way in explaining why you like german beer.  for me, most lagers are too flavorless.  take a pils and compare it to a stout, a belgian dubbel or an IPA - the pils is downright boring.  you're free to like less flavorful beer, but you're in the minority.  the growth in craft beer is coming from hoppy pale ales, imperial stouts, belgian witbiers, etc.

and your posts are getting more and more ignorant.  you really should consider shutting up about things you don't know.  check out this tweet from The Alchemist Brewery: they sold every drop they canned on the same day it was canned., AKA none of it made it beyond the brewery because people were lining up to buy it on site.  i realize you're not familiar with the ins and outs of craft beer, so trust me when i tell you that this fact is beyond impressive.  why ship across the country when locals and tourists will come to you?  just ask the disappointed folks in boston.

and thank you for putting up Hofbrau as your example of standard bearer for german beer.  talk about frikken pedestrian.  it's an OK munich helles at best.  to put it up against vermont craft beer - pfffff...

You are an idiot.  I am sure they don't sell in a year what a typical munich brewery sells in a day.  Your posts are what are idiotic. I have been to Vermont.  There aren't many people there.   Yeah they sell out what they make because they make next to nothing.  Obviously.  Canned beer?  Really?  You buy canned beer? Obviously it will taste like crap. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2666 on: June 03, 2013, 11:21:06 am »

Also I don't like Lagers exclusively.  I drank Birdhouse at Brewers art on Saturday.  Not a lager sorry.  To say you don't like lagers is idiotic once again because you can make a ton of different tasting lager beers.  To say you don't like lagers you might as well say you don't like beer.  Continue to drink your wine coolers.  Drive up to Vermont to get them.  I am sorry but anyone would tell you are an idiot if you think more people are going to Vermont for good beer than Germany.  Even the people in Vermont making the beer that you are dumb enough to wait in line to pay them.

James Ford

« Reply #2667 on: June 03, 2013, 11:22:22 am »
Top 10 US beer vacation destinations.

http://www.vacationrentals.com/media/top-10-beer-vacations.htm

The fact that San Diego is not included on such a list is criminal. The fact that Vermont is is unsurprising.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2668 on: June 03, 2013, 11:28:16 am »
that list is stupid. the inclusion of Missoula is weird. i've been there, and been to both places (big sky and kettle house), and there's nothing to write home about.

atomicfront

« Reply #2669 on: June 03, 2013, 11:35:35 am »
Top 10 US beer vacation destinations.

http://www.vacationrentals.com/media/top-10-beer-vacations.htm

The fact that San Diego is not included on such a list is criminal. The fact that Vermont is is unsurprising.

I bet most people go to Vermont go for skiing.  I bet more people go to the Ben and Jerry Factory Tour than tour any brewery you mentioned in VT.  The only brewery in VT that people actually buy  beer from is Magic Hat.  And you didn't even mention them.  Of course not as they actually sell beer.

I am not going to Germany as a beer vacation.  That actually seems pretty lame.  I will be drinking beer while I am there.  I will also be drinking beer in Austria.  I will have a good time drinking anything that comes my way.  As almost any beer that is made with just Hops, Malt, Yeast and water is going to be good.  Pretty hard to mess that up.  Beer is messed up by either adding corn syrup solids and rice and then adding water to it after it has finished brewing like Bud Light or Coors Light.  Or adding a bunch of fruit and sugar to it like Dogfish Head aprihop.