Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3223118 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5955 on: October 30, 2015, 01:49:02 pm »
I'm running into a major storage issue with this 5 gallon equipment
the square feet are against me!

i hear ya, if i wasn't out in the 'burbs i wouldn't have a quarter of the equipment i currently have.  do you have any outdoor space?  a shed in the backyard?  mash tuns and kettles don't need to be kept indoors.

I do have a shed and figure the Kettle and mash tun could go out there
but the glass carboy has to be indoors...so working on the grand compromise with the misses on that one

opinions of brew in a bag technique?

works great.  it's how i got my start in all-grain (AG).  get a good bag, you want a really fine mesh.  none of the grain, flour, etc should escape the bag, only liquid should get out.  you'll also want a quick-read digital thermometer (this this one) - you'll need to check the temp of your mash regularly, mix to distribute heat, and occasionally turn on the burner to add heat (or figure out if you can leave the burner on at a low temp continuously).  traditionally BIAB is done with the full volume of water, but you'll get better extract if your only use some for the mash and then sparge/rinse with the remaining water (make sure the sparge water is heated to 160-170*F). one small drawback of BIAB is that you can't recirculate (vorlauf) so the wort tends to be a little cloudier.  i don't know if this effects anything more than appearance.

this is the Thermometer I have...very accurate
BIAB is really appealing not having to deal with the sparge as that is quite cumbersome and I'm only doing 1 gallon batches.

I've got a nice big fine mesh screen that will fit all the grains and then I can heat up a few gallons of 170 water to run through twice...but it's just a lot of work and moving stuff around and typically there is some wort or grain on every surface of the stove/floor that has to be dealt with
Easily could save about 30-45 mins and less clean up
but there is something satisfying to slowly stirring a big old pot of grain opposed to just bobbing a bag up and down

I could avoid the Mash tun if I did the BIAB
I really like doing full grain vs Extract
The Extract just seems like cheating. 
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #5956 on: October 30, 2015, 04:31:24 pm »
a few random thoughts addressing the past three pages of posts:
-BIAB is great, but you definitely lack some control on efficiency. your setup sounds like BIAB would be a better option.
-plastics and hot water... as an engineer who deals with the carcinogenic effect of all different chemicals, a plastic mash tun is about the least of your worries.
-conan rules, but i'll take the simplicity of 1318 over conan every day.
-fresh squeezed IPA is fantastic.
-sweetcell is an excellent homebrewer. there's thousands more across the country just like him making super ambitious, crazy shit that can (and often does) blow away commercial offerings.
-and for the haters on homebrewing... you guys must be a blast at parties.

vansmack

« Reply #5957 on: October 30, 2015, 04:34:54 pm »

Have you ever stood around homebrewers talking about their craft at a party?

The only thing worse is people talking about their Burning Man experience. 
27>34

« Reply #5958 on: October 30, 2015, 04:36:28 pm »

this!
slack

« Reply #5959 on: October 30, 2015, 04:38:03 pm »

and this!
there is no right answer...but aspiring to craft something great is a far better venture than swiping your credit card
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5960 on: October 30, 2015, 04:57:37 pm »
Unless you're a damn good home brewer ala sweetcell, why would you want to get stuck with over 600oz of mediocre beer?

not all of my beer is great.  i only serve to others the good stuff, so people have an inflated view of my brewing skills ;D

the fact that SideX wants to move up to 5 gallons tells me that he beer is more than mediocre.

5 gallons of beer is about 50 12-oz bottles.  give a few away to friends and family, throw a party and boom, you're out before you know it.

some people like making things with their hands and others just like to pay other people to do things

most great successes are preceded with a long list of failures, but when you get it right...it's worth the effort

+1 gazillion.  some people just like making their own things, including food and drink.  it's easier to buy bread than to make it, but plenty of folks bake their own bread.  plus, it's just boss to be able to say "i brew my own beer"; or to hand someone a beer, have them say "hey this is good, what is this", and be able to answer "mine."

Homebrewing is so 30 years ago.  ;D When the only alternative was mass-market swill, homebrewing would have made perfect sense to me. Given the amount of amazing  beer out there available at perfectly reasonable prices in 2015, I can't imagine why I'd want to suffer through my own likely mediocre creations.

fine, but what if it wasn't mediocre?  homebrewing isn't that hard.  anyone can make good beer with just a little practice and the right equipment.  and there are all sorts of other reasons to brew: ability to make any beer you want (ever had a citra dry-hopped rye stout?  can't buy one...).  the process is a lot of fun, my brew days are mini vacations.  ability to control ingredients.  preparing for the zombie apocalypse.  etc.

Plus, the idea of drinking 600 ounces of any one beer just seems preposterous to me. I prefer variety.

for those of us that drink more than 3 oz per sitting, the task is a little less daunting... ;D
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #5961 on: October 30, 2015, 05:01:35 pm »
Unless you're a damn good home brewer ala sweetcell, why would you want to get stuck with over 600oz of mediocre beer?

not all of my beer is great.  i only serve to others the good stuff, so people have an inflated view of my brewing skills ;D

the fact that SideX wants to move up to 5 gallons tells me that he beer is more than mediocre.

5 gallons of beer is about 50 12-oz bottles.  give a few away to friends and family, throw a party and boom, you're out before you know it.

some people like making things with their hands and others just like to pay other people to do things

most great successes are preceded with a long list of failures, but when you get it right...it's worth the effort

+1 gazillion.  some people just like making their own things, including food and drink.  it's easier to buy bread than to make it, but plenty of folks bake their own bread.  plus, it's just boss to be able to say "i brew my own beer"; or to hand someone a beer, have them say "hey this is good, what is this", and be able to answer "mine."

Homebrewing is so 30 years ago.  ;D When the only alternative was mass-market swill, homebrewing would have made perfect sense to me. Given the amount of amazing  beer out there available at perfectly reasonable prices in 2015, I can't imagine why I'd want to suffer through my own likely mediocre creations.

fine, but what if it wasn't mediocre?  homebrewing isn't that hard.  anyone can make good beer with just a little practice and the right equipment.  and there are all sorts of other reasons to brew: ability to make any beer you want (ever had a citra dry-hopped rye stout?  can't buy one...).  the process is a lot of fun, my brew days are mini vacations.  ability to control ingredients.  preparing for the zombie apocalypse.  etc.

Plus, the idea of drinking 600 ounces of any one beer just seems preposterous to me. I prefer variety.

for those of us that drink more than 3 oz per sitting, the task is a little less daunting... ;D

^^all excellent points^^

I'm just assuming sidehutch is making crappy beer. My apologies!

stevewizzle

« Reply #5962 on: October 30, 2015, 05:38:20 pm »

i hear you. but you live in the bay area, where the amount of smug assholes per square mile is high, so don't try and extrapolate this experience to the rest of the sane world.

vansmack

« Reply #5963 on: October 30, 2015, 05:55:27 pm »
i hear you. but you live in the bay area, where the amount of smug assholes per square mile is high, so don't try and extrapolate this experience to the rest of the sane world.

You're talking to the Smuggest of the Assholes, so my tolerance is pretty high.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5964 on: October 30, 2015, 07:18:06 pm »

You're talking to the Smuggest of the Assholes, so my tolerance is pretty high.
Um, hello, son!?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5965 on: October 30, 2015, 07:31:43 pm »
I wasn't knocking homebrewing per se. It's a great hobby, and I greatly admire those who do it well. I was just offering a couple of the many reasons why it isn't for me, at least at this juncture.  ;)

« Reply #5966 on: October 30, 2015, 09:47:40 pm »
I'm just assuming sidehutch is making crappy beer. My apologies!
you know what they say when you exhume

I'm on my 11th batch in 2015
I'd say I'm batting about .700 of decent to really good batches
only one was horrible (course I still drank it)
at least 4 I thought (and a few others agreed) were fantastic
(although certainly offensive to the cultured pallets of spada and yadeely)
Taste hasn't been my biggest obstacle...body/bubbles has been my albatross

I've had and made weak batches...guess they call that an occupational hazard (or recreational hazard)
I've also ruined a turkey once, but have honed my skills and make a mean bird with crispy skin now

One thing that is great (and intimidating) is the immense variety of styles and techniques, but the 'open source' nature of recipes is just nuts.  To boot the ease of access to the exact ingredients is also unbelievable.  I have to only imagine in the past brewers were very secretive of their techniques and recipes, but not today

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:49:50 pm by SideBiach |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5967 on: October 31, 2015, 11:36:05 am »
Very nice road trip design here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/31/the-ultimate-beer-drinking-road-trip-according-to-data-scientists/

It looks like they could and should easily add Firestone Walker and Ommegang on the direct path. The Virginia homer in me says they should also hit Hardywood, Lickinghole, and Ocelot. And sub Holy Mountain in place of Elysian while in Seattle. And as good as their beer is, there's no actual tasting room to visit for Pipeworks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:37:53 am by Space Freely »

gavroche

« Reply #5968 on: October 31, 2015, 02:36:58 pm »

This made my day!  I've never experienced the homebrewers thing, but the Burning Man conversation is the worst ever.

walk,on,by

« Reply #5969 on: October 31, 2015, 04:58:54 pm »
Sorry, belly . . . But, I just found harvest ale and backwoods bastard.  And all the growlers of both I can carry in about 2 weeks.