Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3223049 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5970 on: November 02, 2015, 11:11:51 am »
had my first bad Clown Shoes beer this weekend, what a let-down from an otherwise amazing brewery.

also pulled out a Woot Stout which was bought back in july.  not sure if i like it better fresh of aged, but it's amazing either way.

What kind of cheese would you guys pair with a Wild Ale/Flanders Red?

i'd want something equally funky.  either a stinky french soft cheese, or maybe a blue.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5971 on: November 02, 2015, 11:19:03 am »
Thanks, I tend to agree. I had gorgonzola, cheddar, and double crème brie in the fridge.

Ended up pairing the first two with Crooked Stave Surette, and the last one with FW Velvet Merkin 2014. Just the tip of the iceberg of a great beer weekend.

« Reply #5972 on: November 02, 2015, 11:23:44 am »
had an LOL moment when I clicked over to the BA site and is said in a pop up

Hello, is it beer you're looking for?
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5973 on: November 02, 2015, 11:26:11 am »

I was looking for Lionel Ritchie, to be fair. . .
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5974 on: November 02, 2015, 12:55:33 pm »

I was looking for Lionel Ritchie, to be fair. . .

<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5975 on: November 02, 2015, 12:58:24 pm »
I have always wanted to commission a bust of him like in the music video but without any hair. Then, at parties, I would apply his afro out of bean dip and use it as a functional, decorative centerpiece. It'd be a conversation starter.
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #5976 on: November 02, 2015, 02:37:56 pm »

the notifications on that site are terrible. it's a little better with an account, but not by much.

« Reply #5977 on: November 12, 2015, 02:05:56 pm »
anyone know where you can pick up these Bourbon County delights?
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5978 on: November 12, 2015, 02:16:11 pm »
tasted Alework's Speedway Stout yesterday.  creamy, just a tad sweet, not too much coffee.... damn that's a fine beer. 

anyone know where you can pick up these Bourbon County delights?

they'll be around everywhere.  walmart, costco, sam's club...
<sig>

« Reply #5979 on: November 12, 2015, 02:18:56 pm »

did you forget to use your sarcasm font?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5980 on: November 12, 2015, 02:31:34 pm »
With AB-Inbev's decision to drop the four pack format and go with pricier (per ounce) 16.9 oz single bottles this year, I'm much less stoked about the BCBS release this year. May not ever bother. Wish I had stockpiled more of the 12 oz bottles.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5981 on: November 12, 2015, 02:47:29 pm »
With AB-Inbev's decision to drop the four pack format and go with pricier (per ounce) 16.9 oz single bottles this year, I'm much less stoked about the BCBS release this year. May not ever bother. Wish I had stockpiled more of the 12 oz bottles.

format aside (and yeah, i also think the change of format is bullshit), don't buy that shit, period. AB-Inbev is buying up every damn barrel of bourbon possible to increase production and corner the bourbon barrel aging market. the result is less options for consumers and higher prices for existing products. nothing about that beer is worth your time and effort and money.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5982 on: November 12, 2015, 02:49:27 pm »

did you forget to use your sarcasm font?

i doubt it. AB-Inbev rewards their stores that sell the most AB-Inbev products by hooking them up with a couple of cases of BCBS and some of the variants. out in seattle, the place to find BCBS is your major chain stores.

« Reply #5983 on: November 13, 2015, 09:56:30 pm »
so have you heard of the OneDerBrew?

Could get the 3 gallon one and a mini fridge

I kinda hate bottling
but would be restricted to one batch at a time and no gift beers
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #5984 on: November 14, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »
you sound like you're pondering your brew setup and what will work.

i've got an electric stovetop and no outdoor space at my current apartment. i brew exclusively 3 gallon batches with a mini-mash and mostly extract-driven recipes. i don't do any temperature control, i don't do yeast starters, i use excessive hops and fruit, i dry-hop in the keg, i don't own a half decent thermometer, and i could care less how efficient my brewery system is. sweetcell is probably throwing up as he reads this, but he also probably understands where i'm coming from. you gotta work with what you're given.

i don't think that system would solve your issues about hating bottling. picobrew is awesome, and the folks are really nice people too. maybe that's a system that you can make work for you.

kegging has it's own challenges. i've got two 3-gal kegs and two 5-gal kegs. i use them as serving kegs but also temporarily convert them to fermenters or secondary vessels. i've flirted with pressurized fermentation, but i'll save that for another post when i understand what the fuck i'm doing. kegs are easy to handle, easy to clean, and make carbonation a breeze. that said, you got to keep up with your keg maintenance (o-rings replaced frequently, dip tubes cleaned, fittings tightened), you gotta keep a full CO2 tank, and running a kegerator definitely impacts your energy bill. how many beers do you want on tap? i've got only one tap.  just a few things that you should consider before deciding that kegging is right for you. for me? i'll never go back.