Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3220379 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6135 on: December 16, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »
good to know...
the Gose sound interesting and I'm really loving the barrel aged porters lately

Did you try this G/I/A/A (God Is An American)Imperial IPA aged in Sauvignon Blanc Barrels
folks at BA seem to like it

Plus the possibility I make it out to Purcellville for some drinking is about .001%
so that it's in Arlington on tap is pretty enticing

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:44:45 pm by Sidehatch 🍺 |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🍺 »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6136 on: December 16, 2015, 02:10:16 pm »
"They should try to make some excellent versions of basic beer styles before they try the fancy weird stuff"

this is excellent advice for any brewery.  putting shitty beer into a barrel, adding brett, etc. will almost never transform it into something great.  it might salvage it, but generally it will be a waste of a barrel, brett, etc.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6137 on: December 16, 2015, 03:53:16 pm »
good to know...
the Gose sound interesting and I'm really loving the barrel aged porters lately

Did you try this G/I/A/A (God Is An American)Imperial IPA aged in Sauvignon Blanc Barrels
folks at BA seem to like it

Plus the possibility I make it out to Purcellville for some drinking is about .001%
so that it's in Arlington on tap is pretty enticing

In all fairness, I will say that my wife had a higher opinion of their beers than I did. Though she did agree with the mastering the basics thought.

Her complaint was that there service was unfriendly and unresponsive. As someone who spent a number of years as a server, this is a big thing for her. For me, not so much. For you, I don't know. But you'd probably get better,friendlier service in Arlington, plus like you said, the drive.

I'd say it's a place worthy of a one-time stop if you happen to be out that way, but don't make a special trip to go there.

Yada

« Reply #6138 on: December 16, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »
The question is, who's been to Beltway Brewery and picked up any of the Grimm releases? They have some not-so-space-friendly-ounce-to-cost ratios from what I've seen, but I'm considering hiking out there some weekend when some fresh DIPAs are on the lines.

« Reply #6139 on: December 16, 2015, 04:31:15 pm »
Beltway Brewery

think it's a little lame to call yourself beltway brewery when you are in fact not inside the beltway, but 15 miles outside of it

but didn't realize they had a tasting room and is only .5 mile from mile 22 on the W&OD bike trail
slack

« Reply #6140 on: December 16, 2015, 10:20:27 pm »
Adroit Theory Tap Takeover at sehkraft brewing
So I went for about 20 mins and tried
BLVCK Celebration Imperial Porter aged in Oak Barrels
G/I/A/A Imperial IPA aged in Sauvignon Blanc Barrels
Bite the Hand that Feeds Imperial Gose ( Adroit Theory & Sehkraft Collaboration)

The GIAA was best, but had an odd flavor in it that some what detracted from making it great
BLVCK had issues with body for me, good taste, but the bubbles were off
the Gose, was interesting, but not as good as Anderson Valley or Westbrook as a drinkable

Also, I really didn't love the inside of Sehkraft, the outside seating with the firepits was great
I honestly think the bands would be annoying.  Some interesting acts are playing, nothing that I'd likely pay for.
They did have quite a large selection of beers on tap and in bottle
Almost wish I'd stayed away from the Adroit
Those growers were really cool...but $65 a pop! the weigh a ton too
you do get a fill up of their beer with it too, but they won't have any Sehkraft on tap until mid Jan
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6141 on: December 17, 2015, 11:42:29 am »
G/I/A/A Imperial IPA aged in Sauvignon Blanc Barrels

The GIAA was best, but had an odd flavor in it that some what detracted from making it great

if they made it as a proper IIPA, then it probably didn't age well.  the hops would have dropped out and there should be little malt to hold it up.  throw in some tannins from the barrel and i can see that not working so well...
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #6142 on: December 18, 2015, 02:05:54 pm »
I?m hosting a little share for friends back home that like beer but don?t know a damn thing other than they like beer and are more adventurous than your average beer drinker.

I?m trying to have a well-rounded tasting while exposing them to some new beers they?ve definitely never tried. There will probably be six to eight people and most of these guys drink A LOT. Most of the bottles I?m considering are large format, but there are a handful of 12oz?s too. Will probably only bring one/two De Garde bottles and one vertical of the stouts. Thoughts on the list below? Missing anything, too much, too little? Am I die?

High Life
Dorothy
Arthur
Everett
Brother Soigné
Beaucoup Berry Bu
Dry Hop Premiere
Cherry Gose
Petit Desay
Westbrook Gose
The Wind (Lost Nation)
BCBS ? 12?-15?
KBS ? 12? ? 15?
Parabola ? 13? ? 15?
Sacuba ? 13? ? 15?
couple cans each of - Abrasive/Heady/Sip of Sunshine

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6143 on: December 18, 2015, 02:40:58 pm »
IMO you're not too deep, too soon.  verts of BCBS, KBS, parabola and sucaba?  i think that's way overkill.  certainly having both BCBS and parabola... just do one or the other.

i wouldn't expect much uptake on the sours.  those are rarely very popular the first time trying them.

and if these folks drink a lot, i would do a first half of the tasting with some of the above, then the second half with some decent but less rare beers.
<sig>

« Reply #6144 on: December 18, 2015, 02:50:38 pm »
Missing anything
yeah, my invatation!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6145 on: December 18, 2015, 02:50:42 pm »
IMO you're not too deep, too soon.  verts of BCBS, KBS, parabola and sucaba?  i think that's way overkill.  certainly having both BCBS and parabola... just do one or the other.

i wouldn't expect much uptake on the sours.  those are rarely very popular the first time trying them.

and if these folks drink a lot, i would do a first half of the tasting with some of the above, then the second half with some decent but less rare beers.

Are you saying he IS to deep, too soon, or is not?

Yada

« Reply #6146 on: December 18, 2015, 03:57:34 pm »

You missed this part...

"one vertical of the stouts"

Yada

« Reply #6147 on: December 18, 2015, 03:58:01 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6148 on: December 18, 2015, 04:08:39 pm »

IS too deep... i changed the sentence from a negative structure to affirmative, but left behind an extra "not".  should have been "IMO you're too deep, too soon."

(... you saw the whole of the moon...)
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6149 on: December 18, 2015, 04:12:59 pm »

IS too deep... i changed the sentence from a negative structure to affirmative, but left behind an extra "not".  should have been "IMO you're too deep, too soon."

(... you saw the whole of the moon...)

Ok. Then I agree with your intended original statement/reply 100% then.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:14:40 pm by Space Freely »