Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3171337 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #810 on: November 15, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »
had a founders breakfast stout on tap at Iron Horse last night, pretty great, but probably not the best choice after a bunch of budweisers.

That brew is strong as all hell too... A few of those and you're feelin' niiiiiiice.

James Ford

« Reply #811 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:16 pm »
And we have them beat in sheer numbers (though I'm not going to argue against the quality of California/Oregon beers in general. California=best overall beer producing state, imo.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap6d1DIcENXqdHgwd3ZNeTJBellDWFpuQTRKR0FiekE&hl=en#gid=0

221 breweries sell in MD
213 in VA
197 in DC
190 in CA

The middle three are all pretty mediocre.  ;)

I think I figured out why I don't pay as much attention to this thread as the rest of you.  It's just not hard to get beers out here...

I hosted for the Oregon-Stanford game and all the Oregon folks brought microbrews.  I was left with:

Lagunitas Little Sumpin
21st Amendment Back in Black IPA
Widmer Lemongrass Wheat Ale
Widmer Falconer IPA
Ninkasi something or other....

And that's not even listing what was finished - that's just what was left in my fridge.

I also live a block from this place: Toronado, though they never have the High Life, but plenty of bad moustaches and plaid.

what james said.  the beers that get people in a tizzy here - founders, bells, troegs, trappist ales, etc - would still be rare/noteworthy in your little corner of the world.

James Ford

« Reply #812 on: November 15, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »
Wimp.  ;) It's only 8.3% abv. Pretty low for an imperial stout.

had a founders breakfast stout on tap at Iron Horse last night, pretty great, but probably not the best choice after a bunch of budweisers.

That brew is strong as all hell too... A few of those and you're feelin' niiiiiiice.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:06:00 pm by James Ford »

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #813 on: November 15, 2011, 05:13:26 pm »

well, the founders (along with a few more black and tans) somehow inspired me to later sing a morrissey song at karaoke night at the irish channel, so I agree on the strength.
(o|o)

brennser

« Reply #814 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:02 pm »
FBS is grreeeeeat! I am really looking forward to the Meridien Pint brunch where they tap FBS, CBS, two years of KBS, Blushing Monk and Backwoods Bastard

I am also digging the Great Lakes Blackout Stout - I stocked up on a case of that and a case of FBS to get me thru the winter  ;D

James Ford

« Reply #815 on: November 16, 2011, 10:19:54 am »
Anybody know if Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout makes it to the DC area in bottles? I was hoping to pick up some when I'm in Chicago the day after Thanksgiving, but I'm starting to wonder if the release date will be after that day.

Bagley

« Reply #816 on: November 16, 2011, 11:17:10 am »
Anyone try the 2011 Sierra Nevada Celebration ale yet?  If so, where did you find it?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #817 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:04 am »
Ommegang: Fracking may force us to leave

COOPERSTOWN -- Brewery Ommegang is warning that it would have to consider relocating if the town of Middlefield's ban on gas drilling is struck down and horizontal gas drilling begins.

The ominous warning is contained in a new legal brief filed in support of Middlefield's recent zoning law.

"If its water were to be contaminated, the Brewery could be forced to move its business elsewhere," the court papers state. "Its Master Brewer and Quality Control chemist agree that even if Brewery Ommegang wished to do so, it could not remove many of the toxic chemicals commonly used in hydrofracking, should they be released into the Brewery's water supply."

continued: http://thedailystar.com/localnews/x1267472742/Ommegang-Fracking-may-force-us-to-leave
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #818 on: November 16, 2011, 11:24:17 am »
I have. As usual, it's good. But not as good as Torpedo (imo).

$7.99/sixer at Total Wine ($6.99 if you get their coupons)
$9.99/sixer at Whole Foods

Anyone try the 2011 Sierra Nevada Celebration ale yet?  If so, where did you find it?

James Ford

« Reply #819 on: November 16, 2011, 11:26:11 am »
Hope they move somewhere closer to a highway. Great tour and tasting room, but getting there's a bitch!

Seriously, would be a shame, as their location is a nice one.

For more on fracking, see the Oscar nominated film "Gasland".

Ommegang: Fracking may force us to leave

COOPERSTOWN -- Brewery Ommegang is warning that it would have to consider relocating if the town of Middlefield's ban on gas drilling is struck down and horizontal gas drilling begins.

The ominous warning is contained in a new legal brief filed in support of Middlefield's recent zoning law.

"If its water were to be contaminated, the Brewery could be forced to move its business elsewhere," the court papers state. "Its Master Brewer and Quality Control chemist agree that even if Brewery Ommegang wished to do so, it could not remove many of the toxic chemicals commonly used in hydrofracking, should they be released into the Brewery's water supply."

continued: http://thedailystar.com/localnews/x1267472742/Ommegang-Fracking-may-force-us-to-leave

brennser

« Reply #820 on: November 16, 2011, 11:39:22 am »
So is Hennepin brewed in NY or in Belgium? - I'd swear the labels say brewed in Belgium

James Ford

« Reply #821 on: November 16, 2011, 11:48:59 am »
My answer would be Cooperstown, though they are owned by Duvel.

According to wiki :

Don Feinberg sold Ommegang in 2003 to Belgian brewer Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat, brewers of the world-renowned Duvel Golden Ale. As a result, Ommegang Ales are made both in Belgium and in Cooperstown, New York. Duvel Moortgat brewed limited amounts of beer for Brewery Ommegang in 2006 to help meet demand, but has not brewed any since then.

So is Hennepin brewed in NY or in Belgium? - I'd swear the labels say brewed in Belgium

imbecile

« Reply #822 on: November 16, 2011, 12:21:40 pm »

The Harris Teeter a few blocks from me (NoMa, if you call the neighborhood that) has a gargantuan display of it ($7.99).  As for Christmas seasonals, it's up there for me.. probably just because they're one of the few who do an IPA and it's done pretty well.

imbecile

« Reply #823 on: November 16, 2011, 12:27:40 pm »
Anybody know if Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout makes it to the DC area in bottles? I was hoping to pick up some when I'm in Chicago the day after Thanksgiving, but I'm starting to wonder if the release date will be after that day.

I ran across it last year on complete accident.  At some little beer/convenience store (name completely escapes me) across the street from DeVinos (18th and U NW).  I was in there a month or so ago and saw a good selection of their beers, but don't recall that one being there.

Google streetview shows the name as "Virginia Market" - no telling how old that image is though.

Yada

« Reply #824 on: November 16, 2011, 12:54:55 pm »

I ran across it last year on complete accident.  At some little beer/convenience store (name completely escapes me) across the street from DeVinos (18th and U NW).  I was in there a month or so ago and saw a good selection of their beers, but don't recall that one being there.

Google streetview shows the name as "Virginia Market" - no telling how old that image is though.

You are correct... it is the Virginia Market. Used to frequent that place daily when I lived in that hood. Early 2010 they basically turned it into a high end beer store... good stuff.