Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3221740 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8190 on: May 03, 2017, 09:57:06 am »
herman, it's very admirable of you to come back and face your demons as well as owning up to your old idenity... unlike some legends who return and try to act like they're some random new boardie that just stumbled upon the forum.
To be fair, if Walkie was trying to conceal his identity, how long do you think that'd work? He's pretty distinct. I feel we'd know within 10 posts.
LVMH

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8191 on: May 03, 2017, 09:57:21 am »
https://www.brewbound.com/news/anheuser-busch-purchase-wicked-weed-brewing

Looks like we all have to hate wicked weed now.

Considering that the current taps at the Red Porch err Bud Light Loft are all InBev, maybe this means we?ll see some Garçon De Ferme on tap at Nats Park soon #wishfulthinking

« Reply #8192 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:00 am »
I had some Bell's Mars which apparently is the one thing in that planet series that Bell's decided to re-release (or so I'm told) and that is Goooooooooood.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8193 on: May 03, 2017, 10:22:28 am »

i am not sure . . . is that a "ugh, fuck" story line, or a "nice, i can finally get all their stuff now" storyline.  i tend, to favor the former.

this definitely gets an "ugh, fuck" from me.

even if (and it's a big if) the quality of WW's beer remains the same, AB has just acquired another marquis "craft" brand.  they now have more ammo for muscling out all other craft beer brands.  they can strongly incentivize and/or force retailers to carry only AB products - "you don't need those other small craft breweries, we have WW!  and GI, and Elysian, and...  plus, we'll give you a discount on Bud Light if you take that other independent beer off your shelves..."  the little guy can't compete with that.

craft beer is paying the price for its popularity.  it was gaining market share, the giants were losing, this is how they're fighting back... it was inevitable.

dollars-to-doughnuts that in 13 months, the Dickinson brothers will be moving on to "another project."  it's scripted at this point: upon sale to Big Beer, the founders of the purchased brewery claim that this deal is the best thing ever, it will open new doors for their company, and OF COURSE they will stay on because they believe in this sale and the future of the brewery.  and just a little over a year after the sale, they skip away because sticking around for 12 months was all they were contractually bound to. 
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #8194 on: May 03, 2017, 10:26:00 am »
herman, it's very admirable of you to come back and face your demons as well as owning up to your old idenity... unlike some legends who return and try to act like they're some random new boardie that just stumbled upon the forum.
To be fair, if Walkie was trying to conceal his identity, how long do you think that'd work? He's pretty distinct. I feel we'd know within 10 posts.

Oh I agree... just like I knew killsally was back after approximately one post.

Yada

« Reply #8195 on: May 03, 2017, 10:34:00 am »

i am not sure . . . is that a "ugh, fuck" story line, or a "nice, i can finally get all their stuff now" storyline.  i tend, to favor the former.

this definitely gets an "ugh, fuck" from me.

even if (and it's a big if) the quality of WW's beer remains the same, AB has just acquired another marquis "craft" brand.  they now have more ammo for muscling out all other craft beer brands.  they can strongly incentivize and/or force retailers to carry only AB products - "you don't need those other small craft breweries, we have WW!  and GI, and Elysian, and...  plus, we'll give you a discount on Bud Light if you take that other independent beer off your shelves..."  the little guy can't compete with that.

craft beer is paying the price for its popularity.  it was gaining market share, the giants were losing, this is how they're fighting back... it was inevitable.

dollars-to-doughnuts that in 13 months, the Dickinson brothers will be moving on to "another project."  it's scripted at this point: upon sale to Big Beer, the founders of the purchased brewery claim that this deal is the best thing ever, it will open new doors for their company, and OF COURSE they will stay on because they believe in this sale and the future of the brewery.  and just a little over a year after the sale, they skip away because sticking around for 12 months was all they were contractually bound to. 

I think I've made this post somewhere in this here thread at some point, but the easiest solution is to just not buy beer at local stores. Other than High Life/Rolling Rock, I can't really recall the last time I purchased beer at a market. I try to buy direct from the source if at all possible.

« Reply #8196 on: May 03, 2017, 10:36:22 am »

Oh I agree... just like I knew killsally was back after approximately one post.
Yeah, agreed. It'd require a Julian-esque level of intelligence, wit, commitment, and pure boarding skill to carry off a duplicitious, concealed account for a long period of time. The average boardie -- hell, the average Hall of Fame boardie -- just simply doesn't have the goods.
LVMH

« Reply #8197 on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:09 am »
I try to buy direct from the source if at all possible.
while I try when I can, that is seriously a difficult thing to do for the average beer nerd
While some seriously good options exist in the DMV area, doing a 90 min round trip to get 3 crowlers is not really an option for a Working/Family man

But with that said, I'm glad there are shops like Dominion Wine and Beer and the Arlington Brew shop with drive-able access to get some fresh tasty suds (both also get great rotating stuff on their growler lines too)
slack

« Reply #8198 on: May 03, 2017, 11:19:26 am »
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:21:03 am by just old SideHatch .🛠|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|🚀 »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8199 on: May 03, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »

I only got to wear my t-shirt once. $20 for one wear. That's as bad a value as their overrated sours.

Space Freely

« Reply #8200 on: May 03, 2017, 01:46:02 pm »

Now there's a nice poster highlighting the mediocrity of the local beer scene.

Yada

« Reply #8201 on: May 03, 2017, 01:53:19 pm »

I only got to wear my t-shirt once. $20 for one wear. That's as bad a value as their overrated sours.

LOL... the hate already begins.

P.S. Their sours are the only beers they have worth drinking.

Edit: Space's review of Wicked Weed just a few weeks back.

Funkatorium (Asheville, NC) All Wicked Weed sours, all the time. Informative tour, a little awkward as we were the only three people on the tour. I think I tried maybe 14 different tasters over the course of two visits. All very good, many very excellent. Great bottle shop (only Wicked Weed beers)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:56:56 pm by Yada »

Space Freely

« Reply #8202 on: May 03, 2017, 01:59:33 pm »

Funkatorium (Asheville, NC) All Wicked Weed sours, all the time. Informative tour, a little awkward as we were the only three people on the tour. I think I tried maybe 14 different tasters over the course of two visits. All very good, many very excellent. Great bottle shop (only Wicked Weed beers)

Yeah, well that all just changed, bucko.

Yada

« Reply #8203 on: May 03, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »

Yeah, well that all just changed, bucko.

So because they were just aquired, the beer has gone from very good/excellent to overrated? I will say at least inbev finally bought an actual good brewery.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8204 on: May 03, 2017, 02:07:21 pm »
I will say at least inbev finally bought an actual good brewery.

what about Elysium?

and Goose Island is all over the place -they have uninteresting stuff for the mainstream(honkers, their IPA, etc) but they also have some excellent offerings: BCBS, their sours, their belgians...
<sig>