Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3205655 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9735 on: February 28, 2020, 06:08:50 pm »
Malbec is significantly bolder than both Pinot and Merlot. Not between the two at all.
LVMH

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:34:50 pm by Side-hatchetations ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llı »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9737 on: March 07, 2020, 12:40:15 am »
currently in the tampa bay area for a quick visit.  found time to sneak off to cigar city for a quick round before last call.  tried the 2019 hunahpu, a vanilla & nut imp stout, and a chocolate imp stout.  all were really good.  the fresh jai alai was delightful.  got a bottle of gin barrel aged blond ale to go, and it further cemented my opinion that i don't really like gin barrel aged anything.

next night i dragged folks to a small local beer fest by the gulf.  only really interesting thing i tasted there was a beer spiked with cannabis terpenes.  this beer smelled more like cannabis than actual cannabis... aroma was insane.  beer was damn solid, but i enjoyed smelling it more than drinking it.  i've been reading about terpenes but haven't come across them until today.  apparently spiking beer with terpines is a thing in florida, even though it's caused issues with the feds previously.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9738 on: March 07, 2020, 10:58:42 am »
When in Tampa, go to Angry Chair!

hutch

« Reply #9739 on: March 07, 2020, 11:11:28 am »
What was the first beer sold when prohibition ended?

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #9740 on: March 07, 2020, 12:20:00 pm »
Do any of y'all beer drinkers like mead?

« Reply #9741 on: March 07, 2020, 12:22:33 pm »
I don’t
slack

Yada

« Reply #9742 on: March 07, 2020, 12:23:30 pm »

And cycle.

Sweets seems to operate in beer year 2011.

Yada

« Reply #9743 on: March 07, 2020, 12:23:54 pm »

Superstition is the only one I've kind of liked...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9744 on: March 07, 2020, 12:34:34 pm »
I don’t hate it but I’m not like buying more for later if I go to a meadery.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #9745 on: March 07, 2020, 02:24:32 pm »

That's about right for me too. Same with cider.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9746 on: March 07, 2020, 03:07:45 pm »

And cycle.

Sweets seems to operate in beer year 2011.

i was in town for less than 48 hours.  that i got any beer activity in at all was a minor miracle.  didn't have time to look this shit up, plus this scratched a nostalgic itch i've had for years (probably since 2011 ;D).  everything i had was delicious, and i'm not in it for the untappd checkins or the scene points... so i stand by my choices.  but thanks for the recs, i'll be sure to check those out next time i'm in tampa with a little more time and freedom!
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9747 on: March 07, 2020, 03:09:06 pm »
What was the first beer sold when prohibition ended?

Utica Club, per the googles.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9748 on: March 07, 2020, 03:25:14 pm »

i love mead, can't be too sweet tho.  mead is an amazing delivery vehicle for secondary flavors.  i once had a margarita mead (lime and salt, aged in a tequila barrel) that was one of the best things i have ever tasted.

an issue with mead is the cost: honey is a damn expensive primary ingredient.  a 500 ml bottle is often $20 or more, at that price it's an after-dinner digestif that you sip by the ounce.  hard to get into it in those quantities and/or at those prices (paging Space...). 

i'm sure y'all saw this coming from a mile away, but the way around this is making your own.  the above-mentioned margarita mead was served at a homebrewer's conference.  admittedly there is an investment to be made since practice is required, but for the price of 3 or 4 bottles you can make a 5 gallon batch.

or, you know, stick to beer ;D

That's about right for me too. Same with cider.

yeah, i'm not excited about cider either.  i once had a high-gravity barrel-aged cider that was liquid gold, otherwise it's something i drink on occasion with my euro-friends.
<sig>

« Reply #9749 on: March 12, 2020, 11:34:26 am »
Thought this might interest Space...but I assume he's going to be in self quarntien

Join us Friday, March 13 for an exclusive Charles Towne Fermentory pop-up can release!

Can sales and special draft tappings begin at 4 pm!  Charles Towne Founder & Headbrewer Adam Goodwin will join us for a tasting beginning at 5:30 pm.

Charles Towne is bringing the heat with several beers that not only have never been in Virginia before, but have also never left the brewery before!  Come out, grab some 4-packs and draft, taste some delicious beer and hang out with Adam.

Four different beers will be available in package (pricing TBD):

- Telstar VI Double IPA with El Dorado & Zappa
- Mars Express Pale Ale with Motueka dry hop
- Seconds from Midnight sour with blueberries, passionfruit, boysenberries and plums
- Yacht Party American Lager

Draft features including Nigori Biru a Koji saison brewed with koji rice, kaffir lime leaves, pink peppercorns, and coriander plus some fresh Sungazer IPA.
slack