Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182323 times)

walkonby

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2010, 02:05:34 pm »
By the way, I love taking my five figure self out of six figure DC and into other five figure towns like Baltimore and Cleveland.

$6.50 for a 12 oz draft of St. Benardus #12 at Bier Markt Cleveland and three craft brews for $5 at Mahaffeys in B-more. Nice.

st. benardus on draught would make me give into the darkside.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2010, 08:55:46 am »
Are IPAs the Rolling Rock of the '10s?    I love the stuff, but it seems like it's become the default drink for everyone (or at least everyone with good taste).

Anyone been to Meridian Pint yet?   Incredible selection.
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2010, 11:15:44 am »
went to the CommonWealth in columbia heights last night (shocking how much the 14th & irving area has changed).

started off with the Southampton Double White Ale, on tap.  if you like witbier (belgian white beer), you'll love this beer's complex dense flavors.  i'm a fan of witbier, this one gets an A.  very drinkable on a hot summer day but the 6.7% alcohol sneaks up on you.

at one point i tried a pint of Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA for a change of pace.  quite tasty as well.  i'm not sure what thistle tastes like but i'm assuming it's contributing to this beer's slightly unusual bitterness.  i quite liked it but it couldn't compete with the double white so i went back.

also had scotch eggs for the first time... woa.
<sig>

slappy

« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2010, 08:59:30 pm »
This place (which puts to shame any bar in DC) has Pliny the Elder on tap for $6.50.

www.brouwerscafe.com/draught.pdf

I'll drink one for you when I'm there in a couple of weeks. I don't think you can get Pliny in these parts, can you?

I recently made the acquaintence of Green Flash IPA and Hop Rod Rye IPA, both of which were excellent.

Wow, you can drink a beer you can't get here in a bar that is better than any bar here. You're awesome.
One day I want to be awesome and go to Baltimore and Cleveland and drink awesome beer for a couple bucks cheaper.
Cunt.

James Ford

« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »
Sounds like you've had a few too many for a Sunday night. Welcome to the beer thread.

This place (which puts to shame any bar in DC) has Pliny the Elder on tap for $6.50.

www.brouwerscafe.com/draught.pdf

I'll drink one for you when I'm there in a couple of weeks. I don't think you can get Pliny in these parts, can you?

I recently made the acquaintence of Green Flash IPA and Hop Rod Rye IPA, both of which were excellent.

Wow, you can drink a beer you can't get here in a bar that is better than any bar here. You're awesome.
One day I want to be awesome and go to Baltimore and Cleveland and drink awesome beer for a couple bucks cheaper.
Cunt.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2010, 02:37:36 pm »
no mention of Beer Week (http://dcbeerweek.net/)?  anyone catch any of the events?

if i wasn't so busy and/or lazy, i'd contemplate going to the Big Hunt tonight: http://thebighunt.net/events.html - 2 specials kegs from Bell's on offer.
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2010, 03:04:36 pm »
Been too slammed at work to go to any of the events (it was also a lot easier when I worked 5 minutes from the Hunt, but then again I was also 20lbs heavier as a result of going there every day) but am planning on hitting the Hunt tonight.

The other keg from Bells is HOPSLAM!!!

wml7

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »
All you lucky dc bastards with your beers and bars  ;D

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2010, 03:11:48 pm »
no mention of Beer Week (http://dcbeerweek.net/)?  anyone catch any of the events?

Bitches and Bastards, in particular?  Wish I'd been able to make that. 

K8teebug

« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2010, 08:25:46 am »
My friend heard that Fat Tire will be coming our way next month.  here's hoping it isn't a rumor.

James Ford

« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2010, 10:07:33 am »
Not to be a slave to the critics, but it doesn't even rate among the top 50 amber ales.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/128

I would pay for a hundred Nugget Nectars before you could get me to drink a free Fat Tire. And you should do the same!

My friend heard that Fat Tire will be coming our way next month.  here's hoping it isn't a rumor.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:14:57 am by James Ford »

James Ford

« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2010, 10:14:38 am »
For the second year in a row, I somehow planned my vacation the same week as DC Beer Week.

In spite of that, I did manage to make the most of my time away.

En route the my destination, I visited the Ommegang Brewery and the Cooperstown Brewery. I had already tried everything Ommegang was sampling, but it was nice to try them six at a time.

Coming home, we stopped off at Troegg's and sampled a bunch of stuff.

We went to the Olde Saratoga Brewery in Saratoga Springs, NY, where they serve you six ounce glasses of as much FREE beer as you want. Yes, you heard that right. Some nights they even have free food. They make beer for Mendocino and Kingfisher. Not the best beer in the world, but above average. We focused on the Mendocino Imperial Barleywine, Imperial IPA, and Imperial Stout.

And to top it off, we went twice to the Dieu De Ciel brewpub in Montreal. Had many different beers, but the best was the Peche Mortel (currently #15 on the Beeer Advocate top 100). Brought home some Dieu De Ciel and some Unibroue.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2010, 10:36:25 am »
I would pay for a hundred Nugget Nectars before you could get me to drink a free Fat Tire. And you should do the same!

Fat Tire is much better out of the tap that out of the bottle.  I just had it out of a bottle for the first time & while it was ok, it's hardly the Holy Grail people make it out to be.

Not sure by the comment whether you dislike Nugget Nectar but I think that stuff is superb.  I'm rationing what little I have left of that (along with my Flying Mouflan).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Quarry House in SS has Ten-Fidy on tap and it's apparently barrel femented or something liek that?  Comes out darker and heavier than it does out of the can.  VERY good but at $14 a glass it isn't a beer you can drin k all evening.

James Ford

« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2010, 10:44:51 am »
Nugget Nectar is definitely among my top 5 beers.

I've been rationing as well. Only have three left then I'll have to wait until January. May have to get a six pack of Red Rocket Ale to tide me over until Nugget Nectar is released again.

Fat Tire is much better out of the tap that out of the bottle.  I just had it out of a bottle for the first time & while it was ok, it's hardly the Holy Grail people make it out to be.

Not sure by the comment whether you dislike Nugget Nectar but I think that stuff is superb.  I'm rationing what little I have left of that (along with my Flying Mouflan).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Quarry House in SS has Ten-Fidy on tap and it's apparently barrel femented or something liek that?  Comes out darker and heavier than it does out of the can.  VERY good but at $14 a glass it isn't a beer you can drin k all evening.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:45 am »
since we're sharing beer-on-vacation stories: i drank plenty of beer during my recent trip to ukraine (t'was effen HOT, needed to keep hydrated).  ukrainian beers are for the most part unremarkable, your typical assortment or easy-drinking pilsners and lagers.

one brew, however, really stood out: Obolon's Bile.  it's pronounced "bee-leh" and it means white.  it's a delicious cross between a german hefeweizen and a belgian whitbier (more info here).  i couldn't get enough of the stuff.  reviews on beer advocate confirm that i'm not the only person who thinks the stuff is really tasty.  supposedly you can buy it in bottles in north america.  i wouldn't bother with any other Obolon beer unless you're looking for something inexpensive to chug, but their Bile (bee-leh!) is worth seeking out.

<sig>