Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182068 times)

wml7

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2010, 03:58:12 pm »
My wife got some conch fritters to go from there.

Other than a few to go meals for the beach, we did our own cooking. We had a cottage with full kitchen and great porch view of Cruz Bay for $700/week, within walking distance of Cruz Bay, didn't even rent a Jeep. Awesome and surprisingly affordable vacation.

did you go to Woodys Seafood??  Great bar and food whenever I'm down at St John  ;D

yes, the conch fritters from there are awesome.  Cinnamon Bay is where we usually stay as it has cottages but we did the camping stuff.  Dirt cheap for a whole week too, I need to go back  ;D

wml7

« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2010, 04:02:49 pm »
anybody try this?

i have a four pack i have been sitting on for three years.  for what i paid for it, i'm "waiting" to drink it.

three years??  doesn't beer go bad after like 6 months?  ;D

James Ford

« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2010, 04:04:26 pm »
The cheap stuff does, but the good stuff with higher ABV's doesn't.

anybody try this?

i have a four pack i have been sitting on for three years.  for what i paid for it, i'm "waiting" to drink it.

three years??  doesn't beer go bad after like 6 months?  ;D

James Ford

« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2010, 04:06:52 pm »
I jogged from Cruz Bay to Cinnamon Bay and back a couple of days(and to Hawksnest and back on the other days).

That was a bitch of a run.

Other than a few to go meals for the beach, we did our own cooking. We had a cottage with full kitchen and great porch view of Cruz Bay for $700/week, within walking distance of Cruz Bay, didn't even rent a Jeep. Awesome and surprisingly affordable vacation.

did you go to Woodys Seafood??  Great bar and food whenever I'm down at St John  ;D

yes, the conch fritters from there are awesome.  Cinnamon Bay is where we usually stay as it has cottages but we did the camping stuff.  Dirt cheap for a whole week too, I need to go back  ;D

slappy

« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2010, 07:10:21 pm »
USVI's are pleasantly underrated.
The entire Caribbean needs a good craft brewery that goes beyond the lager in somewhat decent quality.
A witbier would be a logical step. Hoegaarden uses spices from Grenada and Curaçao orange peels.

I jogged from Cruz Bay to Cinnamon Bay and back a couple of days(and to Hawksnest and back on the other days).

That was a bitch of a run.

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2011, 12:24:52 pm »
I will be hitting this festival up tomorrow for the third year in a row: http://www.bigbeersfestival.com/ There is nothing like drinking strong ales at an elevation of 8150ft.

K8teebug

« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2011, 02:01:47 pm »
Didn't they stop making Thomas Hardy?  I loved that beer.

K8teebug

« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »
Yeah, it's been retired.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1533/16858

ENJOY IT!  It is wonderful!

walkonby

« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2011, 02:07:25 pm »
Yeah, it's been retired.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1533/16858

ENJOY IT!  It is wonderful!

wow . . . then i got the last year it was brewed.  i guess i should drink it then.  been sitting on it long enough.  to the new year.  can't wait.

James Ford

« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2011, 02:18:36 pm »
Ok, fellow beer geeks. How many of the top 20 beers on this list have you tried?

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/top

I have nine

Founders KBS
Founders Breakfast Stout
Bells Hopslam
St. Beranardus 12
Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Dieu De Ciel Peche Mortel
Stone Russian Imerial Stout
Ballast Pint Sculpin
Deschutes the Abyss

If anyone wants to send me anything else from the top 20 list, i'll take it!

K8teebug

« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2011, 02:37:25 pm »
ha ha.  2!  I was just reading about Kate the Great and it makes me want to drive to NH in March.  Plus, it's named Kate!  (but, I will be running alot and will sadly not have time for crazy trips for beer drinking).

Trappistes Rochefort 10
Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Have any of you ventured up to Columbia to the Perfect Pour?  Highly recommended.  I call it beer disneyland.

James Ford

« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2011, 02:47:24 pm »
The Whole Foods in Fairfax has been my go to beer place of late. World class beer at $4 for a 12 oz glass at one station, and $3.66 for 16 ozs at the other two. Depending on what beer you have, you're sometimes drinking a glass of  beer straight from the tap for considerably cheaper than what you'd pay for it in a bomber.

I've read they now have beer on tap at the Tysons and Alexandria Whole Foods as well.

nkotb

« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2011, 02:59:24 pm »
Anyone know anything about Port City (http://www.portcitybrewing.com/)?

The sign has been up forever, and it seems it's finally opening sometime soon.  Right at this point, I'm less interested in the taste and more interested that I can walk to their tasting room :)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2011, 03:12:45 pm »
The Whole Foods in Fairfax has been my go to beer place of late. World class beer at $4 for a 12 oz glass at one station, and $3.66 for 16 ozs at the other two.

stupid MD liquor laws... grumble grumble.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »
I hear ya, sweetcell.

You should seriously go to Perfect Pour.

Victoria Gastropub is also going to start selling growlers soon.