Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181864 times)

Darth Ed

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #510 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:25 pm »
I stopped by Franklin's on Sunday to try their new seasonals, primarily their 2011 Saison, which is quite good. The brewer seems to think it's better than their 2010 vintage, but I'm not sure. I also enjoyed their Belgian Porter, Dank U, which was quite strong (6.8%). They should be releasing a Dunkleweizen soon.

Whenever I attend a concert at the 9:30 Club or Black Cat, I try to stop by Duffy's for a Ommegang Witte (on tap). I'm in love with this beer. Nice, suprisingly complex flavors for a white, while still being refreshing. I like it a million times more than Hoegaarden.

James Ford

« Reply #511 on: August 09, 2011, 08:25:08 am »
I'll always defer to you for Belgian recommendations...

Founder's Centennial was one of my early loves in terms of craft beers, and I still love it. It's definitely more drinkable than Devil Dancer or Double Trouble (the other two Founders ipa's.) I would agree with your friend that it's a great choice to convert a non-ipa person.

However, if you're somebody who's just never going to like hoppy beers, you might opt for something that's less typical of an ipa. A more malt (rather than hop) forward ipa, like Laughing Dog's Sneaky Pete. Or something with a spicey twist, like Bear Republic's Hop Rod Ryevalry. Or a Belgian IPA, like Flying Dog Raging Bitch. Or a black ipa (more roasty), like Victory Yakima Glory.

We've done a number of Washington backpack trips. One of my favorite places in the world. No doubt Oregon will be as well. We'll try to get in as much hiking, camping, beer/wine/food culture (Portland, Bend, Seattle), and Bumbershoot Festival as a four year old and her mom can take...

If you like exceedingly hoppy ipa's, it's one you need to try. (I seem to recall you not being in that category).

It doesn't come cheap. I bought a single 12 oz when in NYC for $5.25 (at a beer store). It may already be gone from area shelves.

To be honest, it's a bit much for me. And I normally like my ipa's extra hoppy (The only other ipa that was too much for me was Dogfish 120). My wife loved it though. Said it tasted like "liquid weed." Whatever that means.

founders's devil dancer . . . worth the look?  only seen it, never enjoyed.

thank you for your input on the beer.  i get my founders mixed up, and the beer i realized i need opinion on was founders centennial ipa, if you have had it.  i was informed that this beer was the beer to alter my taste towards liking ipas.    your positions on beer are outranking mine . . . i know this and i accept this.   ;)   have a great time on your trip.  i explored washington state once, but not for bars or beer, but for the incredibeness of the area.  enjoy those beautiful trees. 

slappy

« Reply #512 on: August 09, 2011, 12:33:20 pm »
If you take a trip out to Hood River (highly recommended) the Full Sail tasting room view will elevate the taste of the beer. It overlooks the Columbia at the windsurfing/kiteboarding mecca. Double Mountain brewery in Hood River has some really good brews without the view.

Most of the McMenamin's pubs/hotels are great for beer and kid friendly. I stayed at the Kennedy School Hotel in Portland a couple years ago and had fun. http://www.mcmenamins.com/

Laurelwood, Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB), New Old Lompoc are worth visiting in Portland. I'd save Deschutes for the original Bend location.

If you're in Portland on a Saturday, the market is another great place for both kids and beer. The homebrewer's clubs usually have lots of beers to taste. I've had some of the best beers at there.

Non-beer related, if you're in Portland for a few days, a day trip to Cannon Beach is an experience. Easy hiking with breathtaking views, tide pools, etc.

I'll be in Oregon for six days and Seattle for four at the end of the month.

My head is already exploding with the beer (and wine) opportunities, and i've barely started to research.

Any recommendations on Portland/Bend/Seattle  bars/brewpubs/tasting rooms I need to hit? Beers I need to try? Of course I'm already aware of Deschutes, Hair of the Dog, Ninkasi (and Rogue and Full Sail, though I won't bother with them since i can get them here and they're not so great anyway) Wine I need to try?

K8teebug

« Reply #513 on: August 09, 2011, 01:39:50 pm »
I've stayed at the Kennedy School too.  Tons of fun!  and tater tots!

James Ford

« Reply #514 on: August 09, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »
Thanks much Slappy.

Any of those places have more than average pub fare to go with the beer? Brouwer's Cafe in Settle comes to mind as a place with great food and kick ass beer selection.

Yes, Hood River is on the list of places to stop, if only for an hour or two...

Venerable Bede

« Reply #515 on: August 09, 2011, 05:56:05 pm »
I'll be in Oregon for six days and Seattle for four at the end of the month.

My head is already exploding with the beer (and wine) opportunities, and i've barely started to research.

Any recommendations on Portland/Bend/Seattle  bars/brewpubs/tasting rooms I need to hit? Beers I need to try? Of course I'm already aware of Deschutes, Hair of the Dog, Ninkasi (and Rogue and Full Sail, though I won't bother with them since i can get them here and they're not so great anyway) Wine I need to try?

you've got the breweries i would list off the top of my head...

for wineries, i like anne amie, willakenzie and lemelson....lange is also nice.  i've always heard that penner-ash is good, but they're always closed when we go up in january so i haven't been. 

for washington wine, it seems that there's only a handful of tasting rooms in or around seattle (columbia and chateau ste. michelle are across the street from each other in woodinville)- the wineries are in yakima or walla walla.....
OU812

James Ford

« Reply #516 on: August 09, 2011, 07:40:00 pm »
DC Beer Week next week.....

http://dcbeer.com/dcbeerweek/

Among the highlights (but I'llk be opting for a cheaper option)

Founders Beer Dinner with Co-Founder Dave Engbers at Birch & Barley ? 7pm
Birch & Barley- 1337 14th Street NW, www.churchkeydc.com
Founders Brewing Company co-founder Dave Engbers will host a food and beer experience, casting light on his fantastic ales. Beer Director Greg Engert will speak to the pairings of these great brews with a menu crafted by BBCK Executive Chef Kyle Bailey and Pastry Chef Tiffany MacIsaac. This is a 5 course tasting menu that will be paired with 9 different Founders hand-crafted ales. Details of the menu are on the way and will be posted here when available. The dinner will be $75 exclusive of tax and gratuity. Call Birch & Barley today to make your reservation. 202-567-2576

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #517 on: August 09, 2011, 07:55:02 pm »
two words

fucking sweet

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #518 on: August 10, 2011, 06:22:05 pm »
Enjoying one of these right now:

I'm certainly no Rhett when it comes to reviewing beers but I'm satisfied and would be happy to drink a few more at some point in the future. Tastes clean, yet nice and dark with a nice sweet aftertaste.

slappy

« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »

Any of those places have more than average pub fare to go with the beer? Brouwer's Cafe in Settle comes to mind as a place with great food and kick ass beer selection.

Belmont Station has a monster beer selection and decent food from what I remember, I know they had some vegan to carnivore choices. HUB has lots of vegetarian and sustainable food choices.  Bunk has amazing sandwiches and a bar not a huge selection.

Portland is so big on food carts that its probably more than a fad there. http://www.foodcartsportland.com/
They set up in bunches like an outdoor food court. Awesome and cheap.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:07 pm »
went to a beer store, and not doing pictures and found these beers to try for the what not.

1.  spaten oktoberfest 
2.  (went abita single crazy)  abita pecan harvest / strawberry harvest / turbo dog / amber
3.  rj rockers bell ringer  (no nothing about)
4.  ayinger oktober fest - marzen
5.  two tall bottles of my favorite japanese beer (but is it safe to drink)  Orion

has anybody had any of these . . . i took pictures of them due to their awesomeness looking back at me

duvel triple hop  special edition ale

westmalle trappist ales

allagash black belgium style stout

williamsburg alewerks  brewmaster reserve bourbon barrel porter

James Ford

« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »
I've had and enjoyed both of those

went to a beer store, and not doing pictures and found these beers to try for the what not.

allagash black belgium style stout

williamsburg alewerks  brewmaster reserve bourbon barrel porter

James Ford

« Reply #522 on: August 11, 2011, 08:51:25 am »
Had one of these with my wife's Pad Thai last night. Maybe not the most unique choice, but damn it's good stuff.

K8teebug

« Reply #523 on: August 12, 2011, 09:23:44 am »
Fat Tire, Ranger IPA, and Hoptober arrives in MD on August 23rd!  Only 22oz. bottles for now.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #524 on: August 12, 2011, 12:15:20 pm »
8-beer Sampler for $12 (Plus One Full Beer of Your Choice) at Old Dominion Brewhouse for $12

http://sowhatsthedeal.com/promotions/8-beer-sampler-12-old-dominion-brewhouse
<sig>