Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181356 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #525 on: August 12, 2011, 12:21:29 pm »
At last the Fat Tire "legend" can be put to rest.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #526 on: August 12, 2011, 04:26:35 pm »

Our selection for this weeks beer tasting soire!!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #527 on: August 12, 2011, 04:28:25 pm »
beautiful glass . . . never seen that before.  i am drooling at the glass.  the beer, the sacred st. bernardus, only orgasms oblige.

slappy

« Reply #528 on: August 12, 2011, 04:44:30 pm »
beautiful glass . . . never seen that before.  i am drooling at the glass.  the beer, the sacred st. bernardus, only orgasms oblige.

You'll probably be able to get it or at least something close to it at Beer Wine & Co. opening in Chevy Chase/Bethesda.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beer-Wine-Co/209343862419096?sk=wall

340 brews with a focus on the obscure and rare. Should be cool.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #529 on: August 12, 2011, 06:54:54 pm »
I have one of those glasses.

Would trade it for one of those beers!

James Ford

« Reply #530 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:50 am »
Took Friday off and went to Rehoboth.

Did the Dogfish Brewery tour in Milton...a bit longwinded (next time wife and daughter will collect the free sample coupons and go play for 45 minutes then rejoin the tour), but can't complain about the four FREE three oz pours at the end of the tour (they had 60 MIN, India Brown Ale, Raison D'Etre, and the premium Chateau Jiahue (sp?) on tap). Butchy lesbian gave us her coupons for extra pours as well since she didn't drink, and though my daughter (or wife?) was cute...

brennser

« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:54 am »
Never done the brewery tour despite multiple trips to Rehoboth. What did you think of the Chateau Jiahiu (also don;t know the spelling). I personally find it vile and one of their worst experimental/historical beers.

But they keep making it so I guess theres a market out there somewhere.....

James Ford

« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:31 am »
I thought it was decent...not terrible but not noteworthy. Would I pay $13 for the bomber (when I can get a 4 pack of 90 Min for $8.50 no tax)? No way. (and glad my wife didn't pursue it as she threatened to...)

My wife had your feelings about their Black and Red (stout), which we tasted at the brewpub our previous time out there (my brother tasted it at the Oregon Brewers Fest and liked it, so there's no accounting for different tastes.)

Never done the brewery tour despite multiple trips to Rehoboth. What did you think of the Chateau Jiahiu (also don;t know the spelling). I personally find it vile and one of their worst experimental/historical beers.

But they keep making it so I guess theres a market out there somewhere.....

fatskippy

« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2011, 10:34:45 am »
Do any of the stands at Merriweather sell good beer?  Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #534 on: August 17, 2011, 06:22:25 pm »
merriweather sells "good" beer in one location, i think, and that is this cart, right side, which is selling star hill.  not sure what that "weird 930 bar" sells, because it is weird.

but . . . this is weirder.  so i'm in a local town where i live, roughly the size of rfk and the parking lot perhaps and there is one little gas station mart thing, still pumping bp and totally forgotten the gulf spill.  but i wanted beer on my way home so i stopped, hoping for the best.  yes, it was an impressive selection of every budweiser, coors, michelob, miller, pabst, keystone product available.  i didn't know 4loko was in bottles now.  but anyway, among all of that they had two sixers of sam adams latitude 48 ipa.  i said what the hell and got it.  the woman at the counter asked how was that stuff.  she hadn't seen anybody buy it yet.  i get home and try it, and by golly it ain't bad.  do i like ipas now?  it is the bitter that blocks my path towards these beers, but atleast i'm enjoying this one.  thank you country town store.

Darth Ed

« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2011, 11:23:10 pm »
Fat Tire, Ranger IPA, and Hoptober arrives in MD on August 23rd!  Only 22oz. bottles for now.
Hooray for Fat Tire! I used to rely on a friend from Colorado to provide me with the occasional bottle. They used to refuse to sell their beer east of the Mississippi, or so I've been told. Solid, drinkable beer.

I love all of the St. Bernardus beers. They're all worth a try, but I think I like Prior 8 the best. Abt 12 is fantastic though.

If you're into Belgian beer and food, check out Mannequin Pis (restaurant) in Olney, MD. They have a good Belgian beer selection, but only in bottles.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:53:43 pm by Darth Ed »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #536 on: August 18, 2011, 11:45:45 am »
tonight at RFD: launch party for a brand-new DC brewery, Chocolate City Beer.  they'll have all four of their beers on tap @ $4/pint.

http://chocolatecitybeer.com/content/chocolate-city-beers-launch-party-rfd
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #537 on: August 18, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »
Your ipa story sounds like my 70 year old hick town mom discovering her love for Belgian beers when she first tasted Blue Moon.

merriweather sells "good" beer in one location, i think, and that is this cart, right side, which is selling star hill.  not sure what that "weird 930 bar" sells, because it is weird.

but . . . this is weirder.  so i'm in a local town where i live, roughly the size of rfk and the parking lot perhaps and there is one little gas station mart thing, still pumping bp and totally forgotten the gulf spill.  but i wanted beer on my way home so i stopped, hoping for the best.  yes, it was an impressive selection of every budweiser, coors, michelob, miller, pabst, keystone product available.  i didn't know 4loko was in bottles now.  but anyway, among all of that they had two sixers of sam adams latitude 48 ipa.  i said what the hell and got it.  the woman at the counter asked how was that stuff.  she hadn't seen anybody buy it yet.  i get home and try it, and by golly it ain't bad.  do i like ipas now?  it is the bitter that blocks my path towards these beers, but atleast i'm enjoying this one.  thank you country town store.

James Ford

« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:36 am »
At least one area place is going to be sampling New Belgium...

NEW BELGIUM UPDATE!!! Well it is finally here. NB hits NoVa this week and I get my share on Thursday. The initial portfolio includes Fat Tire, Ranger, Trippel, Hoptoberfest, Kick, Clutch and Super Cru, all in 22oz. I will be tasting all 7 Thursday and Friday evenings if anyone wants some free beer. And don't forget, 10% off all case purchases. Cheers!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2011, 11:19:51 am »
I will be tasting all 7 Thursday and Friday evenings if anyone wants some free beer.

Gee, I still remember the days when a half a beer did you in!  :D

Yeah, I know they are just tasting glasses though, at one time, that would have about been your limit. (Don't know their proper name.)

Don't worry, I'm not making fun of you Rhett; I'm just marveling over the evolution of Rhett from the days of yore. Impressive.

Sounds like a nice event. Kind of wish I could be there. Have a taste for me. One of the less hoppy, sweeter brews. Cheers.