Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182225 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #570 on: September 13, 2011, 09:35:47 pm »
i just bought a large bottle of beer that reminds me of a forty.  i need to drink it out of a paper bag and be all redneck ghetto . . . pour some out for my home slices.  it is a new belgium ranger ipa.  i hope i didn't make a mistake.  this "being all obsessed with ipas" is scaring me.

fatskippy

« Reply #571 on: September 14, 2011, 11:31:27 am »
Sixpoint out of Brooklyn is debuting in DC this week.  I've only had their Bengali Tiger IPA but it was most excellent.  Hopefully we can get Cigar City here someday.

http://dcbeer.com/2011/09/12/sixpoint-brings-brooklyn-to-the-district/

James Ford

« Reply #572 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:07 am »
I've got a Cigar City Jai Alai IPA in my fridge right now, hehehe. Bought it in Miami. I know they are in NYC. Are they in Philly or any other northeast cities?

Sixpoint out of Brooklyn is debuting in DC this week.  I've only had their Bengali Tiger IPA but it was most excellent.  Hopefully we can get Cigar City here someday.

slappy

« Reply #573 on: September 14, 2011, 11:42:47 am »
I've got a Cigar City Jai Alai IPA in my fridge right now, hehehe. Bought it in Miami. I know they are in NYC. Are they in Philly or any other northeast cities?

They were at the Savannah Craft Beer Fest. One of the guys said they were working on DC. They currently have a distributor in NYC and separate in Philly.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #574 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:36 am »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #575 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:44 am »
That didn't work well.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #576 on: September 16, 2011, 12:05:51 am »

nkotb

« Reply #577 on: September 16, 2011, 08:54:40 am »
Picked up some Founders Breakfast Stout last night at Rick's in Alexandria.  Think they're doing a tasting on Saturday at noon if anyone's interested.

James Ford

« Reply #578 on: September 16, 2011, 09:04:34 am »
Straight from Rick's newsletter:

We are expecting some major releases this week, including Stone's 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA and Southern Tier's much-requested Pumking. Both are in ridiculously short supply (at least when compared to demand), so purchasing limits are in effect. You'll also find what is likely to be our last drop of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale not to mention more Founders Breakfast Stout, so stock up now. We also received one case of DuClaw's Colossus 21% ABV (you read that right) monster barleywine. Get it while it lasts.

I'm most excited about the Stone 15 beer. If it's as good (or dare I wish, better) as their Supremely Self-Righteous Black IPA, what a treat it will be.

They do a tasting every Saturday. Here are this weeks beers (two great ipas, and that barleywine sounds great!)

On the Beermudgeon's Table:
Saturday, September 17, 2011
12 noon - 5 p.m.
?   Bell's Two Hearted Ale: Once upon a time, this IPA from Bell's was a seasonal offering. These days, this 100% Centennial hopped brew is Bell's (and our) best-seller, not to mention the winner of our inaugural IPA taste-off in 2009. ABV: 7.0%; $10.49/6 pk.
?   Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA: This year's winner of our IPA taste-off, this beauty from Paso Robles, Calif., has two consecutive Great American Beer Festival Gold Medals under its belt. Hopped with Warrior, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo and Chinook. ABV: 7.5%; $12.99/6 pk.
?   Weyerbacher Harvest Ale: Here they come -- the first of the year's wet-hop harvest ales. Weyerbacher brews Harvest Ale with Cascade hops just picked from their own hop farm in Easton, Pa. This is what fresh hops taste like! ABV: 6.2%, $8.99/4 pk.
?   Ommegang Aphrodite: A few years back, Ommegang brewed a Flanders-style red sour ale called Rouge. Unfortunately, they never bottled it -- it was only available in draft form and in very limited quantities at that. Thankfully, their experiments with sour beers haven't ended and we recently received their newest attempt, Aphrodite, a sour brewed with raspberries and pears fermented with the dreaded/loved Brettanomyces yeast. The Beermudgeon got his first taste while in Chicago this summer and thought you should give it a try, too. ABV: 8.9%; $13.99/750 ml.
?   Schlafly Reserve Barleywine, Vintage 2009: Ever on the lookout for the perfect barleywine, the 2007 vintage of this brew was the Beermudgeon's introduction to the wonders of The St. Louis Brewery, a.k.a. Schlafly, at the original SAVOR event in 2008. Striking a superb balance between maltiness and hops, the brew is aged for six months (three months on Missouri oak chips) before bottling, giving the finished product a smooth taste with a distinct vanilla finish. ABV: 10.2%, $12.99/750 ml.

Picked up some Founders Breakfast Stout last night at Rick's in Alexandria.  Think they're doing a tasting on Saturday at noon if anyone's interested.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #579 on: September 16, 2011, 09:17:28 am »
I'm working very hard to empty my beer fridge.  Have a lot of shopping to do.  Frankly, I'm having a hard time deciding where to start.

K8teebug

« Reply #580 on: September 16, 2011, 10:44:05 am »
Has anyone had the Schalfly pumpkin ale?  I like to try all pumpkins for fun in the fall.  So far, no one can beat post road for me.  (Alot of people like the Pumking, but I found it to be way too strong and intense).

James Ford

« Reply #581 on: September 16, 2011, 11:06:17 am »
I think you'll find the Schalfly Pumpkin Ale to be a lot closer to Pumking than Post Road, in terms of intensity.

That said, I tasted way too many pumkin ales last year (Alewerks, Dogfish, Smuttynose, Pumking, Schalfly, Weyerbacher...off the top of my head), and found Schalfly to be my favorite...so made a pledge to only buy one sixer of pumpkin beer this year, and made is Schalfly.

That said, either my tastes have changed or they changed their taste, because I didn't like it so much the other night when we split one. Maybe I'm just not a pumkin beer guy.

Has anyone had the Schalfly pumpkin ale?  I like to try all pumpkins for fun in the fall.  So far, no one can beat post road for me.  (Alot of people like the Pumking, but I found it to be way too strong and intense).

Bagley

« Reply #582 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:07 am »
Anybody try  the Sierra Nevada Tumbler?

James Ford

« Reply #583 on: September 16, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
I have. Good for a brown ale, but brown ale's really not my style.

Dogfish India Brown is my favorite brown ale, but then again it's only 1/3 brown ale.

Anybody try  the Sierra Nevada Tumbler?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #584 on: September 16, 2011, 02:13:21 pm »

That said, either my tastes have changed or they changed their taste, because I didn't like it so much the other night when we split one. Maybe I'm just not a pumkin beer guy.

I find the pumpkin beers to be slightly inconsistent year over year.  Good one year, not so much the next.  And vice versa.

Not good news about Schalfly's.  Theirs is one of the best.