Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181253 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1290 on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:27 pm »
Admittedly, I've only had two Harpoon beers. IPA=mediocre and barleywine (part of Leviathan series)=mediocre.

Others seem to agree.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/harpoon-ipa/694/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/harpoon-leviathan-barleywine-style-ale/134254/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1291 on: April 18, 2012, 03:13:55 pm »
the barleywine does better over at beeradvocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10097/63719 - the Bros give it a 93.  i've got a 4-pack in the cellar that i'll be sitting on for at least a year.  barleywines do a lot better with some aging.

the ipa is indeed mediocre, and that's being generous.  it's also their best-selling beer. *sigh*.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:17:18 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1292 on: April 18, 2012, 03:16:28 pm »
dubbel post.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1293 on: April 18, 2012, 03:41:27 pm »
I bought two a year ago and cellared one of them.

If you want to give more cred to the two dorky brothers who started the website and gave it a 93 over the 95 other reviewers who have given it an average of 84, go right ahead.

Either way, its 3.75 score is below the current 3.88 average for the English barleywine style.

rAvg: 3.75
pDev: 12%
High: 4.53
Low: 1.73

weighted rank (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C

where:
R = review average for the beer
v = number of reviews for the beer
m = minimum reviews required to be considered (currently 10)
C = the mean across the list (currently 3.88)
But enough nerd talk. Let's drink a beer!

the barleywine does better over at beeradvocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10097/63719 - the Bros give it a 93.  i've got a 4-pack in the cellar that i'll be sitting on for at least a year.  barleywines do a lot better with some aging.

the ipa is indeed mediocre, and that's being generous.  it's also their best-selling beer. *sigh*.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1294 on: April 18, 2012, 06:18:39 pm »
this might be more of interest for Baltimorians:

5th annual DuClaw Real Ale Festival
Saturday, Sept 8 (12 - 4 pm)
Bel Air, MD
http://www.realalefest.com/

$55 for all you can drink (real ale) and eat (roast pig and more).  shuttle busses available.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1295 on: April 19, 2012, 11:16:02 am »
I'll be high atop Old Rag tomorrow drinking a Dales with my lunch.

No 420 for me, lol.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1296 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:51 am »
old rag  = mountain  = awesome

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1297 on: April 19, 2012, 01:39:55 pm »
BB&T presents Brew at the Zoo
Saturday, May 26, 2012 - Sunday, May 27, 2012
1 p.m.- 7 p.m.
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
http://www.marylandzoo.org/2012/02/brew-at-the-zoo/

Buy Early, Get a FREE Hat! Purchase any general admission or VIP Brew ticket before April 30, 2012, and you'll receive a FREE Brew at the Zoo hat.

I'll be high

No 420 for me, lol.

uh huh.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1298 on: April 19, 2012, 02:24:01 pm »
Hope they keep the price low, the quality high, and keep the six pack format. 32oz of that stuff is alot to drink.

"On Lagunitas Sucks (paraphrased):

Lagunitas is also ?working hard? to put Lagunitas Sucks in 32 oz. stubby (squat) bottles. ?We?re going to cram it in next to the Schlitz malt Liquor and all the ?Hood beers.?? It will be a year-round release with varied packaging beginning this fall. Gives credit to Les Claypool and Primus who put out bumper stickers that said ?Primus Sucks.? Had wanted to do a beer called ?Lagunitas Sucks? for 10-12 years and finally had the opportunity when the company ran up against capacity and couldn?t produce some of its usual beers this past winter."

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1299 on: April 19, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »
Drinking the last of my 2009 Bourbon County beers tonight. I'm not one to store beers but I wish I had more of these lying around.

James Ford

« Reply #1300 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »
Alabama bans beer brand over dirty name

Dirty Bastard beer by Founders Brewing Co.

Updated: Thursday, 19 Apr 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 19 Apr 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
 By Jay Reeves, Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - You can buy Fat Bastard wine in Alabama, but you'll have to go elsewhere for Dirty Bastard beer.

The state alcoholic beverage control agency said Thursday it has banned the sale of Dirty Bastard beer in the state because of the profanity on its label.

Beer and wine are commonly sold in grocery and convenience stores and anyone can see the labels, so staff members rejected the brand because parents may not want young people to see rough language on the shelves, said Bob Martin, an attorney with the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

"That's the whole reason for the rule, to keep dirty pictures and dirty words away from children," he said. "Personally, I believe the staff made the right call."

Workers at the agency consulted sources including the Federal Communications Commission and Wikipedia to develop a list of objectionable words that should not appear on product labels, Martin said, and the list includes "bastard."

The state allows the sale of Fat Bastard wine and also approved the sale of another brand of beer called Raging Bitch, Martin said, but both of those decisions were made years ago.

"I have no idea how or why or exactly when that went through," he said.

He said the agency considered revoking those earlier approvals when it denied the application for Dirty Bastard, but officials decided against such action.

The maker of Dirty Bastard, Michigan-based Founders Brewing Co., can appeal the decision to the agency's board, which meets next month. A company spokesman did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Alabama gained notice a few years ago for banning a wine brand that featured a nude nymph on its label. Its decision on the beer is opposed by Free The Hops, a group that advocates for new beer brands in Alabama.

More than one-third of Alabama's 67 counties still prohibit the sale of alcohol, and all but two counties in north Alabama are dry.

Copyright Associated Press, Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1301 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:17 am »
Hope they keep the price low, the quality high, and keep the six pack format. 32oz of that stuff is alot to drink.

"On Lagunitas Sucks (paraphrased):

Lagunitas is also ?working hard? to put Lagunitas Sucks in 32 oz. stubby (squat) bottles. ?We?re going to cram it in next to the Schlitz malt Liquor and all the ?Hood beers.?? It will be a year-round release with varied packaging beginning this fall. Gives credit to Les Claypool and Primus who put out bumper stickers that said ?Primus Sucks.? Had wanted to do a beer called ?Lagunitas Sucks? for 10-12 years and finally had the opportunity when the company ran up against capacity and couldn?t produce some of its usual beers this past winter."

32 oz of sucks is a lot. But excited they are distributing it year round, what a great IPA.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1302 on: April 20, 2012, 09:19:28 am »
Alabama bans beer brand over dirty name

Dirty Bastard beer by Founders Brewing Co.

Updated: Thursday, 19 Apr 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 19 Apr 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
 By Jay Reeves, Associated Press

AP goofed on this one - the story is over a month old.  Alabama is reconsidering the decision.

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2012/04/founders-bastard-beer-approval-update/
http://beerpulse.com/2012/04/alabama-beverage-commission-reconsidering-founders-bastards-ban/

alabama is in the news for another beer-related reason this week: it is currently illegal to brew your own beer in the state (i believe it is one of three).  there is a bill up for vote in the AL legislature that will allow for small amounts of homebrewed beer for personal use  (i.e. what you can do in the other 47 states).  i believe the bill is up for a vote today.  go alabama - welcome to the 20th century!

EDIT: it's two states, not three - mississippi is the other prohibition-era hold-out.  with any luck it will soon be alone.  utah and oklahoma are two states that just recently change their laws to allow for homebrewing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:29:49 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1303 on: April 20, 2012, 10:04:45 am »
i know someone that always is railing against the government and doesn't want the government controlling the lives of people . . . as he lives in a dry county.

renton007

« Reply #1304 on: April 20, 2012, 10:15:52 am »
You know Ron Swanson?

i know someone that always is railing against the government and doesn't want the government controlling the lives of people