Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181965 times)

slappy

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1305 on: April 23, 2012, 12:48:43 pm »
If you like experimenting with your alcohol or have a case or two of less than optimal brew. The Randall Jr. gives you a good opportunity to mess with it.
http://www.dogfish.com/store/beer-drinkin-goods/other-accessories/randall-jr.htm

Tried it with some Nugget hops to a Red Hook Long Hammer IPA that worked out well.

Then added some ginger to Uncommon Brewers - Siamese Twin that made it slightly more drinkable but still not enjoyable.

Next up is infusing hops into vodka.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1306 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »
looking to brew a saison or farmhouse in the next month or so... anyone have good recommendations for beers to try with similar style? 

brennser

« Reply #1307 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »
looking to brew a saison or farmhouse in the next month or so... anyone have good recommendations for beers to try with similar style? 
Stillwater Stateside or Cellar Door are both great
Hennepin

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1308 on: April 24, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »

i've seen Dupont Saison referred to as the stereotypical/prototypical saison.

i'm in love with Victory's Helios (formerly V-Saison).

what goes into brewing a saison?  specific saison yeast and a higher fermentation temp (80*F and up) are two things that make the style.  they're usually hoppier than the average belgian and has a fairly simple grain bill (mostly Pilsner malt, maybe a little Vienna and/or Munich). anything else? 

i wanna brew myself another light/summer'y beer and a saison is definitely a considered option.  my idea is to stock up so i don't have to brew much during the summer - too hot to keep the stove on for an hour.  it's either that, or get a turkey fryer which i'm less inclined to do.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:35:25 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #1309 on: April 24, 2012, 04:29:04 pm »
what goes into brewing a saison?  specific saison yeast and a higher fermentation temp (80*F and up) are two things that make the style.  they're usually hoppier than the average belgian and has a fairly simple grain bill (mostly Pilsner malt, maybe a little Vienna and/or Munich). anything else? 

i wanna brew myself another light/summer'y beer and a saison is definitely a considered option.  my idea is to stock up so i don't have to brew much during the summer - too hot to keep the stove on for an hour.  it's either that, or get a turkey fryer which i'm less inclined to do.

You pretty much nailed it.  Yeast and high fermentation temp is pretty much the difference maker. Dryness and lower hops (although not always) around 40 IBU's makes it fairly stereotypical.

Dupont I hear is somewhere crazy like 95*F. I really need to drink another one, it's been years. Some people try and use Dupont yeast, but it's a frustrating process I read. Also have read on HBT to take a recipe that you already like, switch the yeast and the fermenting temp and you're gold. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yada

« Reply #1310 on: May 03, 2012, 09:17:25 am »
Had a left over hopslam last night and it was still delicious!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1311 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:17 pm »

how was the hoppiness?  still as much bite as when you had the previous one, fresh?

hop flavor is supposed to fade with time... did you notice that?
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #1312 on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:35 pm »
what do people think of DC Brau?

I think I'm thinking of the IPA. They have it at the club.

nkotb

« Reply #1313 on: May 03, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »
Good question...not sure I've really had any.  I'm on a bit of a self-imposed beer exile for a bit...but I'm still stocking up.  Saw some at my local store and was going to pick it up to try, but if anyone thinks it's not worth it (or that it IS worth it), I'd love to hear.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1314 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:05 pm »

The Public (Pale Ale) is my session beer of choice.

I'm not as big a fan of The Corruption (IPA).

The Citizen (Belgian IPA) is great, but most bars don't stock it.
(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #1315 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:21 pm »
Very respectable, yet falling below exceptional on ratebeer.com

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/dc-brau-brewing-company/12763/

Though since it's only distributed locally, you probably have alot of homers knocking up the score higher than it should be.

I did a side by side tasting of their Armageddon DIPA with Stone Ruination, and it wasn't in the same league with Ruination...but few DIPA's are. Still, was tasty.

Bagley

« Reply #1316 on: May 03, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »
anyone having problems locating the Sam Adams Noble Pils this year?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1317 on: May 03, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
Corruption gets a similar rating at BA: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25327/69290

the Bros like it, rating it exceptional, but they only try hundreds of beers a year, at least one is a graduate of American Brewers Guild's Brewing School, they run BA magazine, etc, so what do they know ::)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1318 on: May 03, 2012, 03:35:36 pm »
anyone having problems locating the Sam Adams Noble Pils this year?

saw it last night at my local beer shop in R'ville.

FYI noble pils is no longer a seasonal offering - it is now a regular from SA.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1319 on: May 03, 2012, 03:58:54 pm »

how was the hoppiness?  still as much bite as when you had the previous one, fresh?

hop flavor is supposed to fade with time... did you notice that?

It faded slightly, but it was still delicious. I'd say the presence of alcohol was a bit more prevelant rather than the hoppiness fading away. I will say it's undoubtedly my favorite hoppy brew. I do have a case of heady topper coming in a few weeks and I'm quite excited to try it.

The Public (Pale Ale) is my session beer of choice.

I'm not as big a fan of The Corruption (IPA).

The Citizen (Belgian IPA) is great, but most bars don't stock it.

Bitter American is  a great beer as well with a nice taste and it's not too strong...