Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181705 times)

brennser

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1440 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:52 pm »
Russian River beers at Church Key this weekend... and yes that includes the elusive Pliny the Elder!
its good but honestly I'm not sure its really all its cracked up to be

James Ford

« Reply #1441 on: June 27, 2012, 04:33:42 pm »
I'll drink a Scotty Karate to this decision.

Dark Horse Brewery Turns Down Nickelback Endorsement Deal
Posted: 06/27/2012 11:59 am Updated: 06/27/2012 12:15 pm

A blog post on a small Michigan Brewery's website about a nixed endorsement deal seems to have escaped serious notice, until now.

Reddit user Talpostal recently posted a March 2010 entry from Dark Horse Brewery's website, which revealed the operation's opportunity to have its beer featured in a Nickelback music video. Head brewer Aaron Morse was less than enthusiastic about the prospect:

It?s obvious that this would be a great opportunity for us and maybe get some mainstream youth into craft beer rather than the swill. However, none of us at the brewery really care for the band (or frat parties) so our knee jerk reaction is ?no thanks?. But how cool would it be to see our beer in a video? Aaron said, ?Why cant it be some cool band like Slayer?? The guy that called said the lead singer is familiar with our brand. What does that mean? Does the lead singer of Nickleback drink craft beer?
The post revealed that the band had until the following Monday to give the band an answer, and it asked customers and fans for guidance. Dark Horse ultimately declined the offer.

When the story started picking up steam two years after the fact, Michigan Live contacted Morse for his thoughts now on the matter:

...Morse said he stands by his decision, although he could've made a lot of money from the exposure.
"I absolutely hate that band," Morse said today. "It's s--- rock and roll that doesn't deserve to be on the radio."

According to Dark Horse's original blog post, a producer working with Nickelback told Morse he envisioned the video featuring the brewery's delivery truck pulling up to a frat party and crowd shots of kids holding bottles of Dark Horse beer.

James Ford

« Reply #1442 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »
I've only ever had it fron a bottle (and no idea how old the bottle was), but fresh Ruination on draft was better than Pliny in a bottle.

Can't wait for the Ruination anniversary beer to hit the area...

Russian River beers at Church Key this weekend... and yes that includes the elusive Pliny the Elder!

Yada

« Reply #1443 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
I'll be in San Diego for work next month, where Pliny the Elder seems to be on tap virtually everywhere.

I'll be coming home with three months worth of hoppy beers in my suitcase.

Four pack of Heady Topper for a few bombers of Pliney?  ;D ;D ;D

James Ford

« Reply #1444 on: June 27, 2012, 04:54:00 pm »
I'm likely going to Vermont in August.  ;D

I'll be in San Diego for work next month, where Pliny the Elder seems to be on tap virtually everywhere.

I'll be coming home with three months worth of hoppy beers in my suitcase.

Four pack of Heady Topper for a few bombers of Pliney?  ;D ;D ;D

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1445 on: June 27, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »
pliny the elder is probably my favorite beer; wednesday is delivery day to the local stores, so need to stock up for 4th of july.  there are other double IPAs that easier to come by, but i don't know if i'd call them better than pliny.

had pliny the younger at a double IPA festival last february....don't know if it deserved the title of best beer in america, but it was good.
OU812

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1446 on: June 27, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »
dogfish head flavors . . . are getting out of hand.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1447 on: June 28, 2012, 06:26:51 pm »
i needed beer today!  so i went out and bought some.  i'm getting hammered tonight.

goose island  -  matilda
troegs - hopback
founders  -  cerise
langunitas  -  lucky 13
roanoke railhouse  -  caboose
dogfish head  -  festina peche
duclaw  -  hellraiser
breckenridge  -  471 small batch
sierra nevada  -  hoptimum

James Ford

« Reply #1448 on: June 28, 2012, 06:59:54 pm »
I always wonder if your lists are singles or six packs?

i needed beer today!  so i went out and bought some.  i'm getting hammered tonight.

goose island  -  matilda
troegs - hopback
founders  -  cerise
langunitas  -  lucky 13
roanoke railhouse  -  caboose
dogfish head  -  festina peche
duclaw  -  hellraiser
breckenridge  -  471 small batch
sierra nevada  -  hoptimum

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1449 on: June 28, 2012, 07:08:21 pm »
both . . . four packs too.  buying beer is like tetris.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #1450 on: June 28, 2012, 08:18:20 pm »
I stopped at Russian River during our west coast vacation a few weeks ago. Yes, Pliny the Elder is good but it's overrated in my book. I don't get the hype, frankly. I did have their Row 2/Hill 56 which was an excellent Simcoe hop. And of course, had to get some Blind Pig.

K8teebug

« Reply #1451 on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:38 am »
Went to Ommegang this week!  What a beautiful brewery.  Really great beers and friendly people.  Wish we could go back up for the Wilco show.  They said everyone camps there and they serve breakfast the next day.  Sounds like a great time.  The cafe was really good too, with mussels and great fries.

Bagley

« Reply #1452 on: July 02, 2012, 10:11:48 am »
Anyone ever tried the Hopnotch IPA by Uinta,  a solar and wind powered brewery in Utah?

I think it's a delicious offering... A creamy IPA and at 7.3 ABV, highly drinkable!

Yada

« Reply #1453 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48:22 am »
Anyone ever tried the Hopnotch IPA by Uinta,  a solar and wind powered brewery in Utah?

I think it's a delicious offering... A creamy IPA and at 7.3 ABV, highly drinkable!

I bought a sixer of that a while back and still have a few in the fridge... A little too bitter for my liking.

I did find a bottle of Pliney the Elder this weekend at the beer store in DC on Conn and Q.

James Ford

« Reply #1454 on: July 02, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »
We went there at 2pm since we didn't have power at home. Most beers were gone, we missed paying the ripoff prices. (e.g. $5 for four ounces of Pliny from the bottle). Then headed to DC Brau, where we got a whole growler of Corruption for $10.