Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182185 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1680 on: November 09, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »
Lucky Bastard

"Lukcy Basartd" ;D

picking some up tomorrow
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:57:37 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1681 on: November 09, 2012, 02:32:04 pm »
I've had it before but can't quite remember how i felt about it.

I think it's a mix of Double Bastard, which I love, and Arrogant Bastard, which I inexplicably don't like at all.

Victory Yakima Glory is also out now. One of my favorite black ipa's, though it's more of a dark amber. Glad they chose to release it even with their expansion not going on. Several of their good seasonal beers have been on hiatus because of the expansion work.

Lucky Bastard

"Lukcy Basartd" ;D

picking some up tomorrow

K8teebug

« Reply #1682 on: November 09, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »
I have never been disappointed by a Victory offering.  Got to taste their harvest ale a few weeks ago that my friend brought from Philly in a growler.  Was fantastic.

anyone had the Paddle beer by New Belgium?  It's not the IPA that we talk about most here, but it's a really nice crisp pilsner.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1683 on: November 09, 2012, 03:39:16 pm »
I think it's a mix of Double Bastard, which I love, and Arrogant Bastard, which I inexplicably don't like at all.

yup, it's a blend of Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard.  i've put in an order for the oaked, the double and the lukcy.  i should add some killkenny ;D

any other good seasonals/rarities i should be on the lookout for?  i'm hitting up total wine tomorrow, which i don't do very often anymore.  need to stock up, then bootleg the stuff across the potomac.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1684 on: November 09, 2012, 03:59:25 pm »
Not seasonal, but here's what I'm looking for:

I'm watching the Total Wine website to see when they get in Ballast Point Sculpin six packs for the first time. Probably my favorite IPA. Until now, only available at $11 for a 22 oz. Now you get 72 oz for $17. Much better value. I don't think they have it in stock yet.

Saw that a certain Alexandria bottle store is getting in a limited supply of Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break. One of the very best stouts I've ever had. Likely to be pricey. Don't see it on Total Wine inventory list though.

Oh, and Lagunitas Brown Shugga, which is a seasonal, makes a welcome return. Great value at $10/ sixer.
Seasonal release
California- American Strong Ale- 9.9% ABV. An aborted batch of the Old Gnarleywine ended up tasting nearly as good as that they were hoping for, so they bottled it. Sweet sugary aroma. Flavors of sweet brown sugar, candy sugar, some berries and some big caramel sweetness.

yup, it's a blend of Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard.  i've put in an order for the oaked, the double and the lukcy.  i should add some killkenny ;D

any other good seasonals/rarities i should be on the lookout for?  i'm hitting up total wine tomorrow, which i don't do very often anymore.  need to stock up, then bootleg the stuff across the potomac.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1685 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:46 am »
<sig>

Unsanity

« Reply #1686 on: November 11, 2012, 05:42:29 am »
That lucky Bastard is one hell of a beer.

Tried Great Lake's Nosferatu imperial red as well. I could dig it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1687 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »
Tuesday, November 13: Night of the Bastards at ChurchKey
Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Lukcy Basartd on draft
http://www.dcbeer.com/event/night-bastards-churchkey
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1688 on: November 12, 2012, 04:00:29 pm »
apparently i'm not allowed to go to Total Wine alone anymore.

i had that picture set to "private", so it would have been unavailable had anyone clicked the link.  i've fixed it so in case anyone does want to see what i'm going on about, here goes again:

apparently i'm not allowed to go to Total Wine alone anymore.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:50:48 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #1689 on: November 12, 2012, 04:44:12 pm »
They all look delicious.

Yada

« Reply #1690 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:40 am »
Drank these all weekend in Florida. Two thumbs up.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1691 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:22 pm »
Lucky Bastard

"Lukcy Basartd" ;D

picking some up tomorrow

picked up lukcy basartd today... $8.99 for a bomber. whoof.

any word on when brown shugga is available in the area?

Sieve-Fisted

« Reply #1692 on: November 13, 2012, 11:05:09 pm »

Now. Total Wine in McLean had two cases left this past weekend. $9.99 a sixer.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1693 on: November 14, 2012, 02:35:39 pm »

Now. Total Wine in McLean had two cases left this past weekend. $9.99 a sixer.

9.99... damn that's a good deal.

i snagged some at oakton wine shop for $10.99, along with some backwoods bastard.

they also had zoe by maine beer company for $7.99, but i passed on that.

James Ford

« Reply #1694 on: November 14, 2012, 03:13:51 pm »
I still have a four pack of Backwoods Bastard from last year, so I was waffling on whether to get any this year.

I was in Total Wine and this senior citizen gets on his cell phone and asks "What was that beer you picked up last night, Jimbo? I know you said they had a one four pack limit so I thought I'd pick up some more." Oh, ok, I'll go ask them.

With a hunch that he was talking about BB, I trailed him as he tracked down a store employee, thinking I might go ahead and also ask for a four pack myself. He finds an employee and asks "Do you guys have any more of that Backwards Bastard beer?"

The employee proceeds to go behind the counter and produce the last four pack in the store.

Glad I have my four pack from last year.