Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181780 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1740 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:25 pm »
And speaking of P Street Whole Foods, they had a bunch of various singles from Maine Beer Company on the shelves tonight.

I grabbed a (16.9 ox bottle of) Lunch and didn't really register what the price was.I asked the cashier to do a price check and it wasn't in the system. She asked me how much it was (but i just asked you for a price check, how would i know?)...so it was basically name my price...did I saw $2 like a Westy 12 cost at the abbey? Did I say $3 like a Heady Topper cost at the brewery? No, like a retard I said "Oh, I think it said $6.99", which is what i think it goes for in New England.

So I'm a proud owner of an overpriced bottle of Lunch.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1741 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:12 pm »
woa, need to hit up that WF tomorrow.  is $6.99 the correct price?  any idea how fresh the beer is?
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1742 on: November 29, 2012, 10:51:43 pm »
I think it was actually 7.99. I shaved a dollar off. They had Peeper, Mo, and Mean Tom as well.

Bottling date is 11/18/12 on the Lunch.

woa, need to hit up that WF tomorrow.  is $6.99 the correct price?  any idea how fresh the beer is?

James Ford

« Reply #1743 on: November 30, 2012, 09:12:18 am »
No Westy 12 in VA, according to Rick's newsletter.

No.  Apparently, Shelton Brothers never went and got label approval in the Commonwealth of Virginia, meaning that it is illegal to sell here.  Perfect.  This is just about the point where I had my own ideas on the above listed points.  I'll cut myself of there.  Point being, you will not be seeing Westvleteren 12 on our shelves, or any shelves, in Virginia.  If you really want it, you're gonna have to trek to another state and battle others in the venue known as the Wal-Mart of beer. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1744 on: November 30, 2012, 09:26:40 am »
had peeper.

thought neat bottle . . . ok beer.

James Ford

« Reply #1745 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:30 am »
Zoe was really good. But not as good as Nugget Nectar, which is about half the price per ounce for the same style.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1746 on: November 30, 2012, 11:06:09 am »
half the price per ounce for the same style

This is always good input.  Wish we had a "master list" of beers that met this criteria.

Unsanity

« Reply #1747 on: December 01, 2012, 05:16:57 pm »
I know some folks like to knock Goose Island for being a pawn for Inbev, but I tried the Bourbon County stout and loved it. It tasted like chocolate pancakes!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1748 on: December 01, 2012, 06:44:39 pm »
i knocked on some of that there goose island . . . but mister ford was correct; i was basing my opinion on mass produced intakes such as honkers ale and the sort.  i had sofie, i do believe it was called, not that long ago and it was delightful!

stevewizzle

« Reply #1749 on: December 02, 2012, 02:00:26 pm »
Zoe was really good. But not as good as Nugget Nectar, which is about half the price per ounce for the same style.

nugget nectar has become a sort of golden standard of beers for me. it's relatively cheap, well-hopped, good color/aroma, and even though it's seasonal, it's readily available and incredible fresh.

Darth Ed

« Reply #1750 on: December 03, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »
I know some folks like to knock Goose Island for being a pawn for Inbev, but I tried the Bourbon County stout and loved it. It tasted like chocolate pancakes!
You should try Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout, if you haven't before. 88 on BeerAdvocate, 98 on RateBeer. The truth, as usual, is somewhere between.

http://www.stbcbeer.com/black-water/creme-brulee-beer-page/

James Ford

« Reply #1751 on: December 03, 2012, 03:47:47 pm »
You do realize that the numerical score given by Ratebeer and the numerial score given by Beer Advocate are two entirely different things, right?

Ratebeer actually gives two scores. The first is the percentile compared to all other beers, the second is the percentile within style. For example, a beer with a score of 65/64 would be above 65% of all beers and 64% of beers within the style. This would probably be indicative od a beer that is pretty decent, though not earth shattering.

A beer scoring a 65 on Beer Advocate would actually be considered "poor" and a beer that one should "avoid".

http://beeradvocate.com/help/index?topic=ratings

And Creme Brule scores a 98/73 on ratebeer, and 88 on beer advocate. Those scores are actually pretty comparable. Although as I said the numbers have completely different meanings.

Anyway, sorry, I'm a stats geek and a beer geek.

You should try Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout, if you haven't before. 88 on BeerAdvocate, 98 on RateBeer. The truth, as usual, is somewhere between.

http://www.stbcbeer.com/black-water/creme-brulee-beer-page/

Darth Ed

« Reply #1752 on: December 03, 2012, 04:35:46 pm »
Thanks for the info. I don't usually look at Ratebeer, but it's good to know.

James Ford

« Reply #1753 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »
I'm also more of a Beer Advocate person myself (prefer the forums, website appearance, etc), but the percentiles that Ratebeer uses makes more numerical sense, imo.

There's also stories all over the web about what nazis the Alstrom brothers of Beer Advocate are when it comes to running their website. The one time I posted in their forums, I posted in Mid-Atlantic, name dropped Alexandria, VA in the post, and within minutes Herr Alstrom had moved my post to the South-Atlantic forum. Guess he's not much of a geography guy.

Thanks for the info. I don't usually look at Ratebeer, but it's good to know.

Unsanity

« Reply #1754 on: December 04, 2012, 06:23:37 am »
I think I did try that Creme brulee stout and didn't like it. My friends did. I think I am just way too picky haha.

I been on a sour beer kick so I tired 2 more. Bacchus was the first one. It was very mild and kinda floated on my tongue. The other was a lambic by the same brewery but I cannot remember what it was called. Man, oh man was that one good. Super fizzy and sour. Noticed they were imported by a company in Sterling VA.