Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181951 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2190 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:01 pm »
Drink one for me, i'll be on Spring Break in a warmer place.

I'm hoping there will be "leftovers" from some of these tap takeovers the following week, but it seems unlikely.

(haven't had FW SUCABA, if anyone wants to bring it to a bottle share sometime, feel free!)

it'll be on tap next week at the smoke & barrel.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2191 on: March 18, 2013, 03:40:26 pm »
d'oh.  sorry, you had mentioned that.

if able to choose between drinking craft beers and snorkeling in Saltpond Bay... i'd be grabbing my mask & fins.  have fun.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2192 on: March 18, 2013, 03:59:47 pm »
Thanks, I can swim well enough to save my life, but not to snorkel. i'll leave that to my wife, while I'm sneaking my beer consumption on the beach and corralling the kid.

d'oh.  sorry, you had mentioned that.

if able to choose between drinking craft beers and snorkeling in Saltpond Bay... i'd be grabbing my mask & fins.  have fun.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2193 on: March 18, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »
i've been to St John twice, and i don't think i ever saw a policeman there.  so: unless you're hiding your consumption from the wife, i don't think there is any need to hide your beer.

EDIT: it's occurred to me that if you're staying at a large "respectable" resort with their own beach they may frown upon that, but if you're on a public beach (which 99% of them are), feel free to bring the cooler.

FOLLOW-ON EDIT: have you considered bringing a few beers in your suitcase, so you have something to switch up from the boring stuff you'll otherwise be drinking?  if so, what does a beer aficionado bring to the beach?  when i was last there i remember paying $13 for a six-pack of unremarkable lager, and $15 for what should have been a $6 bottle of wine.  and this was from a grocery store.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2194 on: March 18, 2013, 07:44:59 pm »
Staying at a rustic cottage again,  Cable, AC, full kitchen to do our own cooking, separate bedroom, view of the ferry landing, short walk to Cruz Bay...reallly the best bargain on the island. Seven nights for probably less than the price of two nights at a resort.

There's a market in Cruz Bay called Starfish that has a gourmet offshoot. Decent selection of Belgian and British stuff and maybe German (the good stuff, not just invBev) at nasty prices. Last time we stuck with Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Celebration at slighty higher than US prices, and Guinness Foreign Extra (the higher abv Guinness) (which was actually cheaper than US prices).

They also just enacted a no smoking law for all beaches there, hope they enforce that one.

Carry-on baggage only for us...travelin light!

i've been to St John twice, and i don't think i ever saw a policeman there.  so: unless you're hiding your consumption from the wife, i don't think there is any need to hide your beer.

EDIT: it's occurred to me that if you're staying at a large "respectable" resort with their own beach they may frown upon that, but if you're on a public beach (which 99% of them are), feel free to bring the cooler.

FOLLOW-ON EDIT: have you considered bringing a few beers in your suitcase, so you have something to switch up from the boring stuff you'll otherwise be drinking?  if so, what does a beer aficionado bring to the beach?  when i was last there i remember paying $13 for a six-pack of unremarkable lager, and $15 for what should have been a $6 bottle of wine.  and this was from a grocery store.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2195 on: March 19, 2013, 10:59:28 am »
Back tracking to last weekend, nothing like a pint of Guinness draft for $3.17.  ;D  It may be thought of as just a regular beer today but I still love that sweet creaminess. The first several sips are absolutely divine. That silky creamy feeling with just the right balance of sweet and beer taste always puts a smile on my face.

Yada

« Reply #2196 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:45 pm »
Back tracking to last weekend, nothing like a pint of Guinness draft for $3.17.  ;D  It may be thought of as just a regular beer today but I still love that sweet creaminess. The first several sips are absolutely divine. That silky creamy feeling with just the right balance of sweet and beer taste always puts a smile on my face.

I agree... Guinness will always be a top five beer for me. I love it.

Yada

« Reply #2197 on: March 19, 2013, 01:42:40 pm »
Comprehensive Beer Week list...

http://www.dcbeer.com/cbc2013

Sorry JF.

James Ford

« Reply #2198 on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:22 pm »
Hope you guys enjoye the hell out of it! I don't even want to click on the link.

At least I'll have access to one of your top 5 beers all week. And beaches.

Sorry JF.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2199 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »

the missus is NOT going to be happy with me next week... ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2200 on: March 19, 2013, 02:21:37 pm »
Good lord, that Surly/3 Floyds tap takeover is half priced drafts at the bar. I wonder how many people they can pack into that bar space and how early people will start arriving.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2201 on: March 19, 2013, 02:36:58 pm »
Good lord, that Surly/3 Floyds tap takeover is half priced drafts at the bar. I wonder how many people they can pack into that bar space and how early people will start arriving.

i was wondering about that - admittedly the beer geeks will be lining up, but how many of them are there?  will it actually get that crazy?

i probably won't be able to attend, hopefully someone else can don their riot gear and let us know how unruly the hoards are.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2202 on: March 19, 2013, 02:50:23 pm »
Over 6,000 beer industry professionals will gather in Washington, D.C., March 26-29

http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/

i was wondering about that - admittedly the beer geeks will be lining up, but how many of them are there?  will it actually get that crazy?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2203 on: March 19, 2013, 03:06:32 pm »
my find today seems so small compared to such awesomeness!

found some more dog fish head 120 and 75 minute.  passed on some such nonsense offering with rosemary, paprika and thyme or something.  plus they had the wookie jack and nugget nectar on tap for growlers to go.  yeah.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2204 on: March 19, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »
Over 6,000 beer industry professionals will gather in Washington, D.C., March 26-29

http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/

right, i assumed they'd all still be locked up at the conference... but there are no evening activities on thursday.  the conference will be winding down so there might not be all 6000 left (some might head home) but you're right - that'll be a lot of beer (industry) dorks wandering the streets of DC.
<sig>