Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181676 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2220 on: March 20, 2013, 11:12:46 am »
i had a sip of Ten Fidy last night... amazing.  renewed my faith in imperial stouts.

also had small pours of over a dozen homebrews at the monthly DC homebrewer's club meeting.  some of the stuff was mediocre but none of it bad.  some were downright amazing: my highlights were a sparkling mead, belgian pale ale with gooseberries, a nelson sauvin IPA, a thin mint stout, and a three-year-old straight lambic.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #2221 on: March 20, 2013, 11:56:48 am »
Love Ten Fidy.  So delicious.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2222 on: March 20, 2013, 11:57:57 am »
forget that boring ol' basketball bracket, fill in a beer bracket instead:

DRAFT is hosting a Beer Bracket Competition: See if your favorite beer can go all the way! Each person who fills out a bracket will be entered into a contest to win a Kegerator.com kegerator. Plus, the top beer will get mulah for their charity of choice: The winner gets $1,000!
Enter here: http://draftmag.com/mm/6673

free to enter.  if you win the kegerator and don't want it, i'll be happy to take it off your hands ;D
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2223 on: March 20, 2013, 12:01:15 pm »
Am I the only beer drinker who is totally over insanely hopped beers and IPAs?

And then there are those of us who hated them all along.

I'll take a good ol' stout any day. Love those things. Sure, better in the colder months but I still love a good stout in the thick of summer as well.

Finally had a Murphy's Stout yesterday, back to back with a Guinness. In my opinion, the Guinness was way better. Then again, not at all a fair comparison since the Guinness was a draft and the Murphy's in a can. I know that I can't stand Guinness bottled or can. Totally different experience. Won't touch the stuff unless I'm using it to cook with which is good. Someday when I run across it, I'll have to try Murphy's on tap.

I have drunk a ton of different stouts but none of them is as good as a Guinness. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2224 on: March 20, 2013, 12:12:02 pm »
speaking of beer brackets, WaPo is doing a local-only version:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/beer-madness-2013-going-local/2013/03/18/e79bbb04-8c29-11e2-9838-d62f083ba93f_story.html

voting closed on that one, tho.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2225 on: March 20, 2013, 12:17:13 pm »
speaking of beer brackets, WaPo is doing a local-only version:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/beer-madness-2013-going-local/2013/03/18/e79bbb04-8c29-11e2-9838-d62f083ba93f_story.html

voting closed on that one, tho.

it seems pretty unfair to put Raison D'Etre against Resurection in the first round.  Those are both #1 seeds imho.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2226 on: March 20, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »

I'll take a good ol' stout any day. Love those things. Sure, better in the colder months but I still love a good stout in the thick of summer as well.

Finally had a Murphy's Stout yesterday, back to back with a Guinness. In my opinion, the Guinness was way better. Then again, not at all a fair comparison since the Guinness was a draft and the Murphy's in a can. I know that I can't stand Guinness bottled or can. Totally different experience. Won't touch the stuff unless I'm using it to cook with which is good. Someday when I run across it, I'll have to try Murphy's on tap.

I have drunk a ton of different stouts but none of them is as good as a Guinness. 

now i get it.  now i get you.  im in love with you.

James Ford

« Reply #2227 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »
Let me guess. Bass makes your favorite pale ale, Widmer makes your favorite hefeweizen, and either SAm Adams, Harpoon, or Dogfish (60, not 75, 90, or 120) makes your favorite IPA.

Yada

« Reply #2228 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »
Let me guess. Bass makes your favorite pale ale, Widmer makes your favorite hefeweizen, and either SAm Adams, Harpoon, or Dogfish (60, not 75, 90, or 120) makes your favorite IPA.

atomicfront's response: If a lot of people like it, it must be good!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2229 on: March 20, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
and coors makes the best pilsner.
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #2230 on: March 20, 2013, 02:29:21 pm »
Just came across a sixer of Hopslam. Second batch, bottled 1/23/13. Hopefully it's better than the first batch (which I didn't bother buying, heard a lot of mixed reviews).

I drank two over the weekend and they were both pretty tasty.
That's the Hopslam batch that I've been drinking as well......same as it ever was-delicious. Finally checked out the ever abundant Lagunitas Sucks and i gotta say it's quite good.  A lighter, crisper, lower alcohol version of the Slam.

shemptiness

« Reply #2231 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:51 pm »
Coming soon:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:23:55 pm by Shemp »

James Ford

« Reply #2232 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:41 pm »
http://www.eatyourpizza.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/3floyds-elysian-georgetown.png

Three Floyds/Elysian takeover at the Georgetown location the same night. Guess you have to check their website to see which beers are where.

This beer week in DC is turning out to be outrageous...

http://www.eatyourpizza.com/three-floyds-surly-assume-command-of-all-beer-taps-at-dupont-circle-on-328/

James Ford

« Reply #2233 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:35 pm »
Had them both side by side at a Trader Joe's tasting on Saturday.

Both were completely mediocre, but Guinness was better.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2234 on: March 22, 2013, 07:31:12 am »
also had small pours of over a dozen homebrews at the monthly DC homebrewer's club meeting.  some of the stuff was mediocre but none of it bad.  some were downright amazing: my highlights were a sparkling mead, belgian pale ale with gooseberries, a nelson sauvin IPA, a thin mint stout, and a three-year-old straight lambic.

that bud light was downright amazing.