Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181962 times)

brennser

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2430 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:05 pm »
Carlsberg? i.e. big Carlsberg?

two wonderful beers i had at pizza p last night:
-carlsberg carnegie porter
-oxbox freestyle #30 - a sour saison that's worth going out of your way for.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2431 on: April 11, 2013, 01:50:05 pm »
Carlsberg? i.e. big Carlsberg?

two wonderful beers i had at pizza p last night:
-carlsberg carnegie porter
-oxbox freestyle #30 - a sour saison that's worth going out of your way for.

yeah. big, evil carlsberg. on cask, too.

brennser

« Reply #2432 on: April 11, 2013, 03:56:58 pm »
did your wedding include a llama?  mine did

we had two llama's actually

atomicfront

« Reply #2433 on: April 11, 2013, 04:38:07 pm »

I didn't even know Llamas were options.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2434 on: April 11, 2013, 04:48:26 pm »

AH DUN BEEN TOLD.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2435 on: April 12, 2013, 09:28:11 am »
Good article on the American craft beer scene as seen through the eyes of a Brit...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21541887

stevewizzle

« Reply #2436 on: April 12, 2013, 02:29:03 pm »
given the conversation about beer styles and whatnot, i thought i'd share one of my favorite blog reads this past year.

Shut up about Barclay Perkins

the research, knowledge, and (IMO) unpretentious discourse of beer history in this blog is seriously something to appreciate. 

Yada

« Reply #2437 on: April 14, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »
Sitting in a bar in nyc prior to my train, kbs is $35 a bottle, lolz!!!

James Ford

« Reply #2438 on: April 15, 2013, 09:23:32 am »
While some people might say that all microbrewed American ipa's all taste alike, others might argue that all macrobrewed lagers taste alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PSRA7k_qEKA

vansmack

« Reply #2439 on: April 15, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »
I don't read this thread as I'm a wino and not a beer guy.  But my local Whole Foods has a bar that I like to frequent on Sunday Nights after I drink my way across my city and last night we were joined by some friends of ours who are beer people.

Our friend was talking to the bartender about some special beer that's going to be here on Wednesday and how he has to get here early because they're only going to have 20 boxes and they're never going to reach the shelves in the stores - the only way to get them is to be at the bar on Wednesday before a certain time.

So I asked, "why not just charge $100 a bottle then?"  and it was like blasphemy.  Why is beer so different?  If I want a bottle of Silver Oak, I'm prepared to drop some serious cash, but even the thought of the beer market doing this sent everyone into a tizzy.  Instead, you're all going to queue up like idiots for the chance at what is apparently an enjoyable beer instead of reserving yours by pricing out people, like every other good out there.  I don't get it.  Is the market for craft beers just not mature enough for that yet?     
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #2440 on: April 15, 2013, 03:34:37 pm »
Grab me a bottle of that Parabola and send it my way, willya?

I don't read this thread as I'm a wino and not a beer guy.  But my local Whole Foods has a bar that I like to frequent on Sunday Nights after I drink my way across my city and last night we were joined by some friends of ours who are beer people.

Our friend was talking to the bartender about some special beer that's going to be here on Wednesday and how he has to get here early because they're only going to have 20 boxes and they're never going to reach the shelves in the stores - the only way to get them is to be at the bar on Wednesday before a certain time.

So I asked, "why not just charge $100 a bottle then?"  and it was like blasphemy.  Why is beer so different?  If I want a bottle of Silver Oak, I'm prepared to drop some serious cash, but even the thought of the beer market doing this sent everyone into a tizzy.  Instead, you're all going to queue up like idiots for the chance at what is apparently an enjoyable beer instead of reserving yours by pricing out people, like every other good out there.  I don't get it.  Is the market for craft beers just not mature enough for that yet?     

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2441 on: April 15, 2013, 04:09:45 pm »
Silver Oak  

That's some good stuff.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2442 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:03 pm »

so what you are saying is that the rich get everything . . . and the poor(er) get nothing?  i have money, but even i find that to be a shit concept.  beer is beer to me now.  there is always a good beer to have, and if i miss the great one, there will always be another great one down the road.  we have too many great things in this country.  every day another new one.  replaced by a even better one.  i gave up on wanting this or needing that.  i just let the beer happen.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2443 on: April 15, 2013, 07:18:47 pm »

beer is pretty simple. you crush a bunch of grains, throw in some hops, add yeast, and if you want to get extra fancy, you can age it in some fancy wine or whiskey barrels.  the ingredients are abundantly available, and while there is some wonderfully crafted recipes out there, there's still plenty of breweries who could replicate what you do, or maybe even do it better, and for cheaper perhaps as well.

so, a brewery isn't going to price themselves out of the market, and a beer store isn't going mark-up too much and turn away customers or make enemies with their distributor.  too much competition.

it's not like wine, where vines are old and climate is unpredictable. but i don't know anything about wine, so i'm going to stop there.

vansmack

« Reply #2444 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:25 pm »
Hmmm....

so what you are saying is that the rich get everything . . . and the poor(er) get nothing?  i have money, but even i find that to be a shit concept. 

i mean maybe if you had a real job, and tried in school, and did something with your self . . . instead of being a twenty something wanker who plays with records, works at a video game store, or still uses the term "paid by the hour" then maybe you wont bitch about the price of beer, or concert tickets, or cds, or life.

but one just values more delicately what to bitch about, when youve made it in life and have a great job.
27>34