Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3181403 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2580 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00:41 pm »
I am partial to the porters, big stouts, and belgians.  Not so much with the hoppy beers.  I was when I was 22 though, so that probably was a gateway for me  :D

James Ford

« Reply #2581 on: May 08, 2013, 12:03:51 pm »
I realized I posted this right after mentioning having three beers at dinner.

To clarify, the three beers were shared with my wife, and were 12 oz, 12 oz, and 9 oz. So 16.5 oz each.

I don't see the need to drink two or three beers with dinner all by myself. 12-16 ounces of beer plus a glass or two of water seems like a more than adequate amount of liquid.

Then again, I only weigh 169 pounds and aint built like a linebacker.

you know . . . i hate that too.  but then, i have to look at the fact that i only drink one or two of them a day; instead of the normal, local tradition of being on your 10th budweiser by 5:30pm.

I might want to have 2 or 3 beers with dinner.  If I have 3 eight percent beers I shouldn't be driving. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2582 on: May 08, 2013, 12:16:03 pm »
if you've ever wanted an opportunity to taste a bunch of excellent and very different homebrewed beers, consider coming to the meridian pint on saturday afternoon (May 11).

i, along with the other 14 finalists of the DC Homebrewers / DC101/ Sam Adams 3rd Annual Homebrew Competition will be pouring our beers from 1 pm to 4 pm. entry is a $15 donation to Brainfood, mo' info:  http://www.dcbeer.com/event/dc-homebrewers-sam-adams-3rd-annual-homebrew-competition-meridian-pint

for what you'd pay for 2 pints, you'll have an opportunity to taste 15 great homebrews and support a good cause.  all beers being served won the first round of competition so quality will range from really good to OMG excellent.  all styles were covered so it won't be all hop bombs ;D  in case anyone wants to say hi - i'll be pouring my kolsch which won the lawnmower category.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2583 on: May 08, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »
if you've ever wanted an opportunity to taste a bunch of excellent and very different homebrewed beers, consider coming to the meridian pint on saturday afternoon (May 11).

i, along with the other 14 finalists of the DC Homebrewers / DC101/ Sam Adams 3rd Annual Homebrew Competition will be pouring our beers from 1 pm to 4 pm. entry is a $15 donation to Brainfood, mo' info:  http://www.dcbeer.com/event/dc-homebrewers-sam-adams-3rd-annual-homebrew-competition-meridian-pint

for what you'd pay for 2 pints, you'll have an opportunity to taste 15 great homebrews and support a good cause.  all beers being served won the first round of competition so quality will range from really good to OMG excellent.  all styles were covered so it won't be all hop bombs ;D  in case anyone wants to say hi - i'll be pouring my kolsch which won the lawnmower category.

I love me some Kolsch.  Sounds like a great time.  If I were in DC area i would definitley go.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2584 on: May 08, 2013, 12:24:17 pm »
lawnmower category?

atomicfront

« Reply #2585 on: May 08, 2013, 12:24:48 pm »
lawnmover category?

Beer to drink while mowing the lawn?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2586 on: May 08, 2013, 12:25:23 pm »
damn . . . you froze my mistake.  but i like lawnmover too.

James Ford

« Reply #2587 on: May 08, 2013, 12:35:09 pm »
The only beer drank by people who mow lawns are Corona and Tecate.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2588 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36:16 pm »
lawnmover... i like it!

a lawnmower beer is one that you want to drink after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.  emphasis is on crispness and how refreshing it is.  typically alcohol is low, my kolsch clocks in at 5.2% abv which is on the high side for a lawnmower.  i think it's a category atomicfront would enjoy - hops can't be very prominent since there they need to be in balance with the rest of the beer which is rather light. http://beer.about.com/od/beerstyles/a/Lawnmower-Beer-Styles.htm

edit: just saw afront's reply... called it ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:39:08 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2589 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:36 pm »
and that . . . is how a ______ is named.

fatskippy

« Reply #2590 on: May 08, 2013, 01:44:23 pm »

beer thread just got racist, classy

James Ford

« Reply #2591 on: May 08, 2013, 02:14:27 pm »
Oh, it's always fun and righteous to toss out the "r" word on a message boards, isn't it? Makes you feel so moral and superior, right?

In my neighborhood, I mostly see Latin Americans getting paid to mow the lawns of lazy shit suburbanites. And when I go to Total Wine in Springfield, which is located in a highly concentrated area of low and lower middle class Latino population, I see that population buying Corona and Tecate by the truckload.

I'm just calling it like I see it, fatty.

Yada

« Reply #2592 on: May 08, 2013, 02:15:17 pm »
My partner just reported that she picked me up two more bottles of Parabola.  ;D ;D ;D

Yada

« Reply #2593 on: May 08, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »
Oh, it's always fun and righteous to toss out the "r" word on a message boards, isn't it? Makes you feel so moral and superior, right?

In my neighborhood, I mostly see Latin Americans getting paid to mow the lawns of lazy shit suburbanites. And when I go to Total Wine in Springfield, which is located in a highly concentrated area of low and lower middle class Latino population, I see that population buying Corona and Tecate by the truckload.

I like Highlife when I cut the grass.

atomicfront

« Reply #2594 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22:01 pm »

I went to a place in San Antonio recently that had like 200 beers on tap.   And some friends show up and one orders a bottle of Tecate.  He said he wanted to get something he knew would taste good.