Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3203591 times)

shemptiness

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9045 on: November 12, 2018, 12:59:20 pm »

« Reply #9046 on: November 12, 2018, 01:30:33 pm »
Pabst says MillerCoors is trying to put it out of business
Strange as all the hipsters have been drinking PBR bombers for the last decade and I bet it sells waaay better with millennials on a budget than 'high life'  (talk about false advertising)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9047 on: November 12, 2018, 02:30:02 pm »
has anyone tried Curmudgeon's Better Half, by Founders?
https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/curmudgeons-better-half/
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/77260/

i have a 4-pack i'm looking forward to someday soon...
I had a couple of them (separate days) on draft. It's a real beast. My wife hated it.

enjoyed a bottle this past weekend, t'was pretty much as advertised: thick and sweet, which helped hide the booze.  sipped it for over 30 minutes, which is an eternity for me.  a very tasty and intense dessert beer but i couldn't see myself having a second one.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9048 on: November 12, 2018, 03:35:33 pm »
Gotta say I found that Lagnunitas beer ya'll are hyping pretty turrible.

cool, not everyone is going to like everything.  i just picked up 4 more bombers of Mozango last night.  it's been my main beer for the past month, along with Freemont Field to Ferment: Citra.

so i have a new theory.

the old theory is that this beer just isn't your cup of tea.

the new one is that you got an old, and possibly abused, bottle.  this beer was released in late august/early september, so it's easy for a bottle to show it's age at this point.  the 4 bombers i picked up last week were from total wine, which doesn't refrigerate their beer.  they haven't been great.  as much as i was a fanboy of this beer when fresh, i won't be buying any more bottles.

at least not until its re-released, which i certainly hope it will be.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #9049 on: November 13, 2018, 11:14:30 am »
The family and I stopped at the new Guinness facility in Baltimore over the weekend... Holy shit. I've never visited a true macro brewery, wow. It's a sprawling 90 million dollar campus that is pretty damn sweet.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for a perfect pint of Guinness draught, which coincidentally is the only Guinness beer they DON'T brew there. They get that shipped in from Ireland. The rest of the beers I sampled were on par with 3 Stars or DC brau. I'll definitely return.

Space Freely

« Reply #9050 on: November 13, 2018, 11:21:18 am »
The family and I stopped at the new Guinness facility in Baltimore over the weekend... Holy shit. I've never visited a true macro brewery, wow. It's a sprawling 90 million dollar campus that is pretty damn sweet.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for a perfect pint of Guinness draught, which coincidentally is the only Guinness beer they DON'T brew there. They get that shipped in from Ireland. The rest of the beers I sampled were on par with 3 Stars or DC brau. I'll definitely return.

Thanks for the review. We've been thinking of making the trip to Baltimore and have been on the fence about hitting Guinness. Planning on a slight detour to Sapwood Cellars and maybe checking out the new Union Craft place. And doing whatever else there is to do in Baltimore while dodging bullets.

The first brewery I ever visited was the Coors facility in Colorado. True story.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:24:13 am by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #9051 on: November 13, 2018, 11:23:35 am »
We'll be doing a DC to Chicago drive for the holidays, via Columbus (not Cleveland..going the Cleveland route is an hour shorter but adds a shitload of tolls). Of course I have the internet, but anybody have any beer recommendations on that route?

Yada

« Reply #9052 on: November 13, 2018, 11:38:35 am »

Thanks for the review. We've been thinking of making the trip to Baltimore and have been on the fence about hitting Guinness. Planning on a slight detour to Sapwood Cellars and maybe checking out the new Union Craft place. And doing whatever else there is to do in Baltimore while dodging bullets.

The first brewery I ever visited was the Coors facility in Colorado. True story.

Yeah, we met friends that suggested Guinness and my plan was to hit Sapwood on the way home, however, it's closed on Sunday (Until next week when they start Sunday hours).

Definitely make a stop at Diamondback in Bawlmoor, my favorite brewery up there.

Yada

« Reply #9053 on: November 13, 2018, 11:38:56 am »
We'll be doing a DC to Chicago drive for the holidays, via Columbus (not Cleveland..going the Cleveland route is an hour shorter but adds a shitload of tolls). Of course I have the internet, but anybody have any beer recommendations on that route?

Cla$$ic $pace.

« Reply #9054 on: November 13, 2018, 11:52:04 am »
Mine was Stroh's in Detroit in the 80s
slack

Bagley

« Reply #9055 on: November 13, 2018, 11:56:11 am »

Never been here, but sounds like fun.....https://www.brewdog.com/usa/doghouse

« Reply #9056 on: November 13, 2018, 01:01:33 pm »
Brewdog is also a first with Equity For Punks
BrewDog* is owned by over 80,000 people who want to change the world of craft beer, forever.
*us operations

Kind of a mug club...no real info on if you can sell your share...which it doesn't seem like you can
so not true equity as far as I can tell
slack

Bagley

« Reply #9057 on: November 13, 2018, 01:10:55 pm »
I'm sure some wild bachelor parties go down at the Doghouse.

« Reply #9058 on: November 13, 2018, 01:25:20 pm »
I'm sure some wild bachelor parties go down at the Doghouse.
well maybe for the 2nd or 3rd marriages
target audience is the white balding pear in their 40/50s  (venn diagram is almost just one circle with this board)
slack

hutch

« Reply #9059 on: November 13, 2018, 01:28:19 pm »
This was the average person at Tenacious D!