Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3183360 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9180 on: February 26, 2019, 04:20:15 pm »
So am I missing something or are people paying a hundred clams to ride around in a bus, visit a few breweries and get one juice glass of "sampler" beer at each, and then a cheese sandwich for lunch? Sign me up!

you'll be getting a lot more than a single sampler, and the meal will be a lot better than a cheese sandwich.  but thanks for trying to under-sell it.
<sig>

challenged

• Instagram

Space Freely

« Reply #9182 on: February 26, 2019, 04:57:22 pm »
https://www.ecowatch.com/glyphosate-beer-wine-2630077686.html 

Thank god I weigh more than 125 pounds. I am a little concerned for Vansmack though.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sets daily exposure limits at least 100 times below levels shown to have no negative effect in safety studies," Reeves said. "Assuming the greatest value reported, 51.4 ppb, is correct, a 125-pound adult would have to consume 308 gallons of wine per day, every day for life to reach the US Environmental Protection Agency's glyphosate exposure limit for humans. To put 308 gallons into context, that would be more than a bottle of wine every minute, for life, without sleeping."

« Reply #9183 on: February 26, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »
So am I missing something or are people paying a hundred clams to ride around in a bus, visit a few breweries and get one juice glass of "sampler" beer at each, and then a cheese sandwich for lunch? Sign me up!
For just $36 more...you don't get a bus ride or visit breweries
but you get ...samples of 180+ beers from 90 small and independent craft brewers from around the country; craft beer and small plate pairings; commemorative tasting glass; and a limited-edition SAVOR commemorative beer to take home.

I'm so tempted to do Savor...but the hangover from Xmas and other things have a long tail, so this time a year is no time to drop $135 on one night of drinking ;(

Is there such thing as a craft-beer sugar daddy?
slack

hutch

« Reply #9184 on: February 26, 2019, 05:19:18 pm »
What about autographs? Any autographs!?

vansmack

« Reply #9185 on: February 26, 2019, 06:46:51 pm »
I am a little concerned for Vansmack though.

You couldn't pay me to drink those wines, but I will reduce my Coors Light intake just in case.

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9186 on: February 27, 2019, 07:50:13 pm »
could go here, could go in the "legal weed" thread:

Scientists Gene-Hacked Yeast to Make THC Instead of Booze
All you have to do is feed it some sugar.
https://futurism.com/researchers-create-yeast-that-synthesizes-thc-and-cbd
<sig>

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #9187 on: March 01, 2019, 12:10:07 am »
could go here, could go in the, who gives a shit thread.

I went to Aldi . . . and bought some beer called, third street brewhouse hop lift.  somehow, I felt like I was buying beer at dollar tree, then I realized Americans don't understand brands they have never seen before, and I bought it any,way.  It wasn't bad.  I would buy it again for 6 dollars and the fact that I love that you get to put a quarter into the shopping carts, at Aldi.

hutch

« Reply #9188 on: March 01, 2019, 09:48:46 am »

I went to Aldi . . . and bought some beer called, third street brewhouse hop lift.  somehow, I felt like I was buying beer at dollar tree, then I realized Americans don't understand brands they have never seen before, and I bought it any,way.  It wasn't bad.  I would buy it again for 6 dollars and the fact that I love that you get to put a quarter into the shopping carts, at Aldi.

ALDI just opened two miles from my house...they have great prices on tortilla chips (88 cents!), eggs, milk, nuts and ground beef...also $2.89 winking loon wine...not much else I need

Space Freely

« Reply #9189 on: March 01, 2019, 10:08:10 am »

ALDI just opened two miles from my house...they have great prices on tortilla chips (88 cents!), eggs, milk, nuts and ground beef...also $2.89 winking loon wine...not much else I need

Can I just say that there's nothing in the world more frightening for a DC bubble dweller than to be shopping in an Aldi in rural MAGA, Indiana. That said, the people were really, really nice. The fact that I'm a white, boringly dressed male with wife and kid probably helped.

hutch

« Reply #9190 on: March 01, 2019, 10:12:27 am »
I find it interesting that ALDI and Trader Joe’s where started by brothers... they have pretty different approaches

Space Freely

« Reply #9191 on: March 01, 2019, 11:44:49 am »
For the Baltimore hazebros…

https://www.facebook.com/AslinBeerCo/photos/a.511119962360764/1350586441747441/?type=3&theater

Oh wait, already happened. Probably some leftovers though.

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #9192 on: March 01, 2019, 03:16:35 pm »
bought two beers today, that I have not seen before, from their prospective breweries . . .  wicked weed passionfruit lychee burst and clown shoes the drongo.  i hope i did, not waste my money.

« Reply #9193 on: March 04, 2019, 10:05:54 am »
this looks good...

Join The Sovereign on Sunday, April 14th as we welcome Brian Strumke of Stillwater Artisanal Ales. On this afternoon, Brian will host an intimate tasting of all 5 beers from the Preternatural Cuvée Project, a series of his most intriguing and special barrel-aged beer-wine hybrids!

In 2014, Stillwater Artisanal procured a truckload of freshly emptied California wine barrels and filled them with a mix of blond and dark Saisons. These beers were then blended and aged with varying amounts of assorted California-source wine grapes. After 3 years in oak barrels, roughly 2 years of bottle conditioning, and many blending and tasting sessions, Stillwater is finally ready to release these 5 beautiful beer-wine hybrids. Don't miss your chance to try these incredibly complex and beautiful beers, a project 5 years in the making!

Beginning at 12 PM, Brian will guide guests through a private tasting of each beer in the Preternatural Cuvée Project. All guests will receive one 4 oz. tasting portion of each beer. Reservations are required. Please book soon, as space is extremely limited.

The Stillwater Preternatural Cuvee Project tasting will begin promptly at 12 PM in the upstairs bar. Tickets are $35 each, plus tax. Reservations are available emailing info@thesovereigndc.com or by calling The Sovereign at (202) 774-5875.

THE OFFICIAL STILLWATER PRETERNATURAL CUVÉE PROJECT TASTING
- Preternatural Cuvée 1 (Oak BA Saison w/ Sauvignon Blanc Grapes)
- Preternatural Cuvée 2 (Oak BA Saison w/ Viognier Grapes)
- Preternatural Cuvée 3 (Oak BA Saison w/ Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc & Viognier Grapes)
- Preternatural Cuvée 4 (Oak BA Saison w/ Viognier, Pinot Noir & Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes)
- Preternatural Cuvée 5 (Oak BA Saison w/ Petite Syrah Grapes)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9194 on: March 04, 2019, 07:45:37 pm »
<sig>