Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182219 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9210 on: March 26, 2019, 08:48:21 am »
Do all sours taste like leftover thick yogurt, or have I just tasted the wrong ones?

Space Freely

« Reply #9211 on: March 26, 2019, 09:53:53 am »
Do all sours taste like leftover thick yogurt, or have I just tasted the wrong ones?

Name some that you're referring to.

Are you referring to barrel aged sours ala Cascade, Allagash, etc. or are you referring to kettle sours like goses or are you referring to the fruit infused dessert sours that seem to be the rage these days?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9212 on: March 26, 2019, 12:48:10 pm »

was the beer actually thick?  as in, ropey or even snotty?  if so, you've had a sick beer, caused by a bacteria called pediococcus:

Pediococcus may also cause “ropiness” (also called a "sick beer") due to the production of exopolysaccharides when exposed to a fresh sugar source. "Ropy" or "sick" beer is more viscous and, in extreme circumstances, can form strands. Sickness effects mostly the mouthfeel and appearance of the beer, and may have no influence on the flavor. It is considered a temporary flaw in sour beer. Some brewers, including Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River Brewing and some Belgian lambic producers, claim that after the ropiness goes away (generally in 3-6 months [10]) it produces a deeper acidity and mouthfeel, and is viewed as a positive process in the production of sour beer [11]. For other brewers, ropy beer is seen as a nuisance due to the beer needing to be aged for a longer period of time, especially when it occurs shortly after bottling. Pediococcus species can also produce diacetyl with extended storage time [12]. Brettanomyces can break down exopolysaccharides and diacetyl produced by Pediococcus and the two are often used together. (from http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Pediococcus)

video of a sick beer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub31Pq_IKJw
<sig>

« Reply #9213 on: March 26, 2019, 02:09:14 pm »
man everything I read recently is getting me depressed

How the World’s Biggest Brewer Killed the Craft Beer Buzz

Is the party over for indie suds?

#SeekTheSeal
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:18:42 pm by Sïdehätch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9214 on: March 26, 2019, 03:09:54 pm »
the sky is not falling.  relax.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #9215 on: March 27, 2019, 12:02:35 pm »
I have had a sour out at Cushwa Brewery and one at Guinness...so probably not the best selection?

K8teebug

« Reply #9216 on: March 27, 2019, 12:03:54 pm »
I really wish Cloudburst would also move out here. Some of the best beer I've ever had.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9217 on: March 27, 2019, 01:38:52 pm »
I really wish Cloudburst would also move out here. Some of the best beer I've ever had.

i'll share you thoughts with the staff when i visit this weekend.
<sig>

Bagley

K8teebug

« Reply #9219 on: March 27, 2019, 03:06:27 pm »

i'll share you thoughts with the staff when i visit this weekend.

SO JEALOUS.

They know I love them :)

Space Freely

« Reply #9220 on: April 01, 2019, 09:25:11 am »
Might have to make my way to this.

Join The Sovereign on Saturday, April 6th as we celebrate our third anniversary! To mark the occasion, we will feature 25 world-renowned beers from our favorite producers, including Cantillon, Hill Farmstead, Allagash and more!

On this very special day, we will tap 3 extremely rare Cantillon kegs. Making it’s DC debut is Carignan, a two-year-old Lambic matured on French wine grapes. Not to be outdone, we’ll also pour Fou’Foune and Saint Lamvinus, two world-renowned classics.

Our friends from Hill Farmstead & Allagash have also sent us an amazing collection of brews, such as Hill Farmstead’s Convivial Suarez and Clara, as well as Allagash’s Coolship Red & Coolship Resurgam.

Last but not least, we have assembled a list of amazing spontaneously fermented beers, from classic Lambic producers like Drie Fonteinen, De Cam & Tilquin, as well as contemporary brewers Pen Druid & Jester King!

There is no admission fee for this event. All featured drafts will be priced individually by the glass and in 4 oz. tasting pours. Featured bottles will be available in 4 oz. tasting pours.

THE OFFICIAL THIRD ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION LIST:
– Allagash Coolship Red (Oak BA Wild Ale w/ Raspberry; Draft)
– Allagash Coolship Resurgam (Oak BA Wild Ale; Draft)
– Allagash FV 13 (Sour Blond Ale; Draft)
– Cantillon Carignan (Lambic w/ Carignan Grapes; Draft)
– Cantillon Fou’Foune (Lambic w/ Apricot; Draft)
– Cantillon St. Lamvinus Saint Lamvinus (Lambic w/ Merlot & Cab Franc Grapes; Draft)
– De Cam Framboise-Lambiek (Lambic w/ Raspberry; BTL Pour)
– Drie Fonteinen Cuvee Armand & Gaston (Gueuze Lambic; BTL Pour)
– Drie Fonteinen Framboos (Lambic w/ Raspberry; BTL Pour)
– Drie Fonteinen Hommage (Lambic w/ Raspberry & Cherry: BTL Pour)
– Hill Farmstead Clara (Grisette; Draft)
– Hill Farmstead Convivial Suarez (Saison w/ Hibiscus & Lemon; Draft)
– Hill Farmstead Florence (Saison; Draft)
– Jester King SPON (Oak BA Wild Ale; Draft)
– Jester King SPON Grapefruit (Oak BA Wild Ale w/ Grapefruit; Draft)
– Pen Druid Mures de Fantaisie (Wild Ale w/ Blackberry; Draft)
– Pen Druid TBD
– Struise Black Damnation XXVI: Froggie (Wine BA Imperial Stout; Draft)
– Struise Dark Horse Reserva (Wine BA Wild Ale; Draft)
– Tilquin Groseille (Lambic w/ Black Current; BTL Pour)
– Tlquin Mure (Lambic w/ Blackberry; Draft)
– The Veil Illusion of Blis (Cherry Wine BA Saison; BTL Pour)
– The Veil TBD
– The Veil TBD
– The Veil TBD

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9221 on: April 01, 2019, 03:30:32 pm »
no, you NEED to make it to that.  amazing lineup.
<sig>

« Reply #9222 on: April 01, 2019, 03:34:37 pm »
I dunno...I've had TBD before and its all over the map, almost never the same as the last TBD I had
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9223 on: April 01, 2019, 07:17:45 pm »
I dunno...I've had TBD before and its all over the map, almost never the same as the last TBD I had

c'mon, they're going to have 3 different vintages of TBD (actually 4, if you count the Pen Druid knockoff).  one of them is sure to RAWK.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9224 on: April 01, 2019, 07:31:26 pm »
Those who were part of the Forum bottle shares may remember this guy. Apparently he's fallen on hard times.

https://www.americancraftbeer.com/craft-beer-website-founder-arrested-in-doj-beer-hyping-sting/