Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182300 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10740 on: September 08, 2021, 08:43:26 pm »
. I guess I could drink half of hers.
that's the kind of out of the box thinking I expect from this board!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10741 on: September 08, 2021, 10:08:31 pm »
Only available at Jailbreak, I take it? And nothing until December.

Downtown Crown got three limited bottles over the weekend. I checked earlier today, the sour quad was gone, the other two nearly gone.

Space Freely

« Reply #10742 on: September 08, 2021, 10:09:56 pm »
I’d totally go to the Sapwood event but my wife can’t handle 10 4oz pours of that stuff. I guess I could drink half of hers.
I could drink the much if I were sitting at home, or if Metro went there, but not where they are located.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10743 on: September 09, 2021, 07:28:02 am »
Only available at Jailbreak, I take it? And nothing until December.

Downtown Crown got three limited bottles over the weekend. I checked earlier today, the sour quad was gone, the other two nearly gone.

Quite the gamble at $25/pop.  For that price I'd hate to just "like" it.

Yada

« Reply #10744 on: September 13, 2021, 01:15:11 pm »
Made my second trip to the Other Half DC spot this weekend... What a perfect brewery!

If I had one complaint, it would be nice to have some snacks or something. I'm not expecting a kitchen by any means, but something to pick on vs. having to order take out/delivery...

Had probably eight pours, all above average to great. I wish it wasn't so far away. ;(

Space Freely

« Reply #10745 on: September 13, 2021, 01:32:44 pm »
Made my second trip to the Other Half DC spot this weekend... What a perfect brewery!

If I had one complaint, it would be nice to have some snacks or something. I'm not expecting a kitchen by any means, but something to pick on vs. having to order take out/delivery...

Had probably eight pours, all above average to great. I wish it wasn't so far away. ;(

Thinking of pregaming there Friday night before Dr. Dog. Might grab some food from Baker's Daughter and carry it over. Menu looks good.

Last time we were there  was the California brewery tap takeover (June?), which included Monkish. My wife grabbed a pizza somewhere around the corner and through the alley while my daughter and I secured seats at OH. She said she was harassed by a bunch of homeless men in the alley. Oops. Guess I should have picked up the pizza and gotten harassed.

There's a handful of guys on the Beer Advocate forum who really hate the DC brewed OH beers. I think maybe Brennser has been in that camp? I don't even know if I've had any of the DC beers, I typically get the cans from the Brooklyn/Finger Lakes drops.

Can't complain about the place itself. Well actually last time we were in a seat where the music was way too loud, until we found a better seat. But yes, we like it as well. Just don't do the takeout pizza. Good pizza but dicey takeout. I think it was called della barba.

« Reply #10746 on: September 13, 2021, 01:40:50 pm »

there is a MoM's about 1.5 blocks from there...perfect for getting snaks
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10747 on: September 13, 2021, 03:52:20 pm »

there is a MoM's about 1.5 blocks from there...perfect for getting snaks

Mmmmm.....moms

Yada

« Reply #10748 on: September 13, 2021, 03:53:07 pm »

Last time we were there  was the California brewery tap takeover (June?), which included Monkish. My wife grabbed a pizza somewhere around the corner and through the alley while my daughter and I secured seats at OH. She said she was harassed by a bunch of homeless men in the alley. Oops. Guess I should have picked up the pizza and gotten harassed.

There's a handful of guys on the Beer Advocate forum who really hate the DC brewed OH beers. I think maybe Brennser has been in that camp? I don't even know if I've had any of the DC beers, I typically get the cans from the Brooklyn/Finger Lakes drops.

Can't complain about the place itself. Well actually last time we were in a seat where the music was way too loud, until we found a better seat. But yes, we like it as well. Just don't do the takeout pizza. Good pizza but dicey takeout. I think it was called della barba.

Can't comment on the cans as I'm not sure I've even had any yet from DC and haven't bought any Other Half cans in probably six months. The drafts were delicious though.

We went to Ghibiliena (SP) post drinks and it was mediocre at best. Wouldn't return.

Space Freely

« Reply #10749 on: September 13, 2021, 04:10:53 pm »

Can't comment on the cans as I'm not sure I've even had any yet from DC and haven't bought any Other Half cans in probably six months. The drafts were delicious though.

We went to Ghibiliena (SP) post drinks and it was mediocre at best. Wouldn't return.

I would imagine some of the kegs are from their other locations?

I like the can consumption at the brewery option. Sure, you're only going to get to try one of two of them per visit (well maybe three or four if you have a sharing partner, maybe more if you have multiple sharing partners), but it's a much better Space ratio compared to the draft pricing.

I think there's also some color coding on the cans which are a giveaway to which location the beer is from. But i get my cans from DTC (once every couple of months) and they tell you on FB where the delivery is coming from.

Yada

« Reply #10750 on: September 13, 2021, 04:17:18 pm »

I would imagine some of the kegs are from their other locations?

I like the can consumption at the brewery option. Sure, you're only going to get to try one of two of them per visit (well maybe three or four if you have a sharing partner, maybe more if you have multiple sharing partners), but it's a much better Space ratio compared to the draft pricing.

I think there's also some color coding on the cans which are a giveaway to which location the beer is from. But i get my cans from DTC (once every couple of months) and they tell you on FB where the delivery is coming from.

Considering the operation going down there, I highly doubt they're getting kegs shipped there from other locations... Seems to defeat the purpose.

Space Freely

« Reply #10751 on: September 13, 2021, 04:23:46 pm »
According to their FAQ, sounds like you can get the DC beer in Brooklyn, but nothing about the Brooklyn beers in DC. I'll be the dork who asks the bartender if we go on Friday.

Do all locations brew the same beer?
Nope! While we’ll offer some of the same beers in all locations, each location has its own specialties. We do offer beer from all locations at our Brooklyn taprooms, but the best way to sample beer from different locations is by purchasing beer for shipping.

Yada

« Reply #10752 on: September 13, 2021, 04:27:19 pm »
According to their FAQ, sounds like you can get the DC beer in Brooklyn, but nothing about the Brooklyn beers in DC. I'll be the dork who asks the bartender if we go on Friday.

Nope! While we’ll offer some of the same beers in all locations, each location has its own specialties. We do offer beer from all locations at our Brooklyn taprooms, but the best way to sample beer from different locations is by purchasing beer for shipping.

Are you referring to cans?? Once again, assuming beer being brewed 50 feet away in giant tanks are being canned for shipment from DC and then actual drafts area coming from that tank vs. a keg being shipped from where ever.

Space Freely

« Reply #10753 on: September 13, 2021, 04:37:36 pm »

Are you referring to cans?? Once again, assuming beer being brewed 50 feet away in giant tanks are being canned for shipment from DC and then actual drafts area coming from that tank vs. a keg being shipped from where ever.

Yes, I am the dork that just called OHDC and asked. The kind woman who answered the phone said that both the kegs and the cans at the DC location are from a mix of the DC location and the New York locations. So there's the answer, unless she was lying or was mistaken.

Yada

« Reply #10754 on: September 13, 2021, 04:38:43 pm »

Yes, I am the dork that just called OHDC and asked. The kind woman who answered the phone said that both the kegs and the cans at the DC location are from a mix of the DC location and the New York locations. So there's the answer, unless she was lying or was mistaken.

Well shit! Seems like a dumb move when these guys have a tap list 20 beers long... Why do they need more kegs shipped to them from NYC?