Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3206119 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10785 on: October 01, 2021, 02:14:00 pm »
When I was talking about "fruited sours", I was referring specifically to a beer like this one:

https://untappd.com/b/cushwa-brewing-company-western-maryland-vacation-packages/4504229

A mango coconut bread pudding sour

...which, by the way, is an awesome beer.

ah, gotcha.  yeah, those "milkshake sours"/"smoothie sours" have a bad rep. 

i haven't come across many of them that are particularly good.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10786 on: October 01, 2021, 02:58:26 pm »
rant: the pandemic has resulted in a lot of changes at my local grocery store.  on the beer front, they've actually improved the freshness of regional brands (Fremont, Georgetown, Reuben's, etc.) but they've cut back to core brands - fewer seasonals, one-offs, etc.  while that's a mild annoyance for me most of the year, it's a big issue right now: it's fresh-hop/wet-hop beer season and not one damn fresh-hop beer was on offer.  i was shopping this morning and there were two distributors stocking the beer aisle so i ask them if any was coming in, and they confirmed that my store is stocking fewer SKUs so no fresh-hopped beer was scheduled to be delivered.  luckily the beer buyer came along just as i was chatting with them, and put in a small order on my behalf.  97.3% that other local beer nerds are going to snatch it up before i make it back there.

(background: my local grocery store stocks an excellent assortment of beer, to the point that it generally isn't worth my time to drive 25-30 minutes to the closest bottle shop... at least, that was the case pre-panda).
<sig>

« Reply #10787 on: October 06, 2021, 01:59:59 pm »
get your crowlers at Dominion wine and beer 20% off until Halloween

To our Loyal Customers: After almost a two year pandemic forced hiatus, our 12-tap retail store crowler station is back! We're thrilled to once again serve 12oz pours to customers (have a beer while you shop!) and offer a great rotating selection of drafts in crowlers to enjoy at home.

To celebrate, we're offering a 20% OFF promo code on crowlers from our retail store taps. Available to use via our web store. When shopping in-store just mention the promotion during checkout! Promo code: "Crowlers"

No limit, 20% OFF each crowler you buy!

Current tap list
D12 Firestone Walker Oaktoberfest
D11 Ocelot It's Just That Simple
D08 Vasen The Guava Otter
D10 Offshoot Escape [it's your everyday West Coast IPA]
D07 Heavy Seas The Great'er Pumpkin
D09 Mustang Sally Brewing Company Simpsons Did It
D06 Equilibrium Kinetics
D05 City-State Brewing 8 Wards Independent Pale Ale
D04 City-State Brewing Equal Marriage
D03 DSSOLVR Thank You for Existing
D02 Jester King Super Ultramega Hyperforce
D01 DSSOLVR Visions and Prisons

Personally have enjoyed the City-State brews I've had
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10788 on: October 06, 2021, 02:24:24 pm »
Complete Snallygaster taplist. Hope it doesn't rain too much. I won't be pre-gaming.

https://untappd.com/v/snallygaster-2021/10893849

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10789 on: October 06, 2021, 03:10:16 pm »
Complete Snallygaster taplist. Hope it doesn't rain too much. I won't be pre-gaming.

who the hell pregames before a beer fest??

solid list, and i didn't even make it to the end.  both Alesong offerings are recommended by yours truly, and i'd love to try a wild ale by Arizona Wilderness.  never heard of Uberon, but good name :)
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10790 on: October 06, 2021, 03:42:00 pm »

solid list, and i didn't even make it to the end.  both Alesong offerings are recommended by yours truly, and i'd love to try a wild ale by Arizona Wilderness.  never heard of Uberon, but good name :)

I'll give it well above solid, but we'll see. Isn't Uberon the bourbon barrel aged wheat ale from Bells? Hard pass on that one, or anything from Bells.

Fidens, Floodland, Saint Adairus, Fox Farm, Homes, and Widowaker top the list of breweries I haven't had but am most looking forward to trying. There's probably aboout 25 others that are on my list as well though no doubt we won't try them all in just four hours (with VIP ticketholders having a two hour head start on the field.)

Space Freely

« Reply #10791 on: October 06, 2021, 03:44:01 pm »
When I was talking about "fruited sours", I was referring specifically to a beer like this one:

https://untappd.com/b/cushwa-brewing-company-western-maryland-vacation-packages/4504229

A mango coconut bread pudding sour

...which, by the way, is an awesome beer.

ah, gotcha.  yeah, those "milkshake sours"/"smoothie sours" have a bad rep. 

i haven't come across many of them that are particularly good.

Try some Mortalis beers. They'll change your mind.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10792 on: October 07, 2021, 01:31:21 pm »

I'll give it well above solid, but we'll see. Isn't Uberon the bourbon barrel aged wheat ale from Bells? Hard pass on that one, or anything from Bells.

Fidens, Floodland, Saint Adairus, Fox Farm, Homes, and Widowaker top the list of breweries I haven't had but am most looking forward to trying. There's probably aboout 25 others that are on my list as well though no doubt we won't try them all in just four hours (with VIP ticketholders having a two hour head start on the field.)

first off, thank you for spelling "aboout" in Canadian.

second, if anyone needs help prioritizing what to taste:
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10793 on: October 07, 2021, 01:51:58 pm »
Looks like Dominion got a drop yesterday that included Alesong (first time in VA) and Mortalis (second time in VA). I'll be shopping for the next few minutes. Not sure what's left.

« Reply #10794 on: October 09, 2021, 09:13:41 pm »
Looks like Dominion got a drop yesterday that included Alesong (first time in VA) and Mortalis (second time in VA). I'll be shopping for the next few minutes. Not sure what's left.
Whoa, got the hydra ( blueberry, raspberry, grape) and its fucking delicious
Didn’t really feel like drinking beer
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10795 on: October 17, 2021, 07:23:47 pm »
Broccoli never disappoints

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10796 on: October 22, 2021, 01:15:29 pm »
works out to $19/bottle before shipping... i fear that proxy/packing/re-shipping fees will double this.

Brasserie Cantillon
Dear Friends

On Tuesday, October 26 at 5PM Brussels' time, we will be releasing our annual Fall pack, via our platform with Craftpeak!
The price of the pack is set at 98EUR, and the box will consist of six 75cl bottles:

• 3 x Fou'foune 2021 : A maceration of Lambic and organic apricot
• 1 x Lou Pepe Kriek 2018 : A maceration of Lambic and Schaerbeek cherries, 2020 harvest
• 1 x Racine : A maceration of Lambic, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Tocai Friulano pomace from Radikon, 2020 harvest.
• 1 x Camerise : A maceration of Lambic and haskap berries, 2020 harvest

On Wednesday October 27 at 5PM Brussels' time, another sale will be held to benefit Vendanges Solidaires. The 2021 harvest was a catastrophe for many wine producers, and this organization exists to lend them a helping hand when tragedy strikes.
The Domaine Andrι and Mireille Tissot and Cantillon are collaborating to support this cause by putting 150 bottles of La Vie est Belge 2019, rebaptised La Vie est Solidaire for the occasion, up for sale. The price per 75cl bottle will be €150; the entirety of the proceeds will be donated to Vendanges Solidaires.

The link for each sale will be communicated a few hours in advance.

Rules of the Autumn ’21 sales
• No shipping by Cantillon, no exceptions !
• Orders must be collected from the brewery by Januari 31st, 2022.
• Proof of purchase and a corresponding photo ID must be presented to collect your bottles.
• Proxies will be allowed to collect bottles so long as they are able to present proof of purchase AND a copy of a photo ID of the purchaser. Electronic copies are acceptable!
• Due to the extremely limited space we have in the brewery, we cannot extend the deadline to collect packs. If you cannot come to the brewery yourself, you must find a proxy or arrange for shipping with a service like Etre Gourmet SPRL / Het Huis van de Gueuze
. Please take this into consideration before purchasing a pack.
• The buyer will receive a confirmation email when their pack is collected, whether by them or their proxy.
• The limit for purchase is one pack PER INDIVIDUAL PERSON (not per email address or credit card!) - if you are found to have bought more than one pack, we reserve the right to cancel any supernumerary purchases.
• Keep in mind that the brewery is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays, as well as on all public holidays in Belgium. Pick-up WILL be allowed on Saturdays.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 01:19:12 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10797 on: October 24, 2021, 04:31:46 pm »
Sounds like sweetie didn't read my previous posts on how to make this process not so expensive... and just for shits and giggles if you had to pay $38 for a bottle of Fou, is that a bad thing?

brennser

« Reply #10798 on: October 27, 2021, 10:00:34 am »
So who won the Cantillon lottery?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10799 on: October 27, 2021, 01:02:32 pm »
So who won the Cantillon lottery?

not i.  by the time i got to the virtual waiting room my number in line was over 20,000.

Sounds like sweetie didn't read my previous posts on how to make this process not so expensive... and just for shits and giggles if you had to pay $38 for a bottle of Fou, is that a bad thing?

no no, was going to to the etre gourmet proxy thing.  i'm fine paying $39 x 6 every now and then, but it does make me yearn for the times i paid a third of that at the brewery...
<sig>