Author Topic: why are american's so repressed?  (Read 24957 times)

Re: why are american's so repressed?
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2004, 12:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Groundkeeper's Willy:

Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  You just keep right on believing that, Mr.Educated, and aim high!
You are right.  You come up with a better rating system (besides the aura of Ivy league - didn't Bush go to an Ivy League school?) and I will be happy to read it.
 Love,
 Mr. Educated (and Athletic) [/b]
Then enlighten us with your knowledge, O learned one.  What wisdom can you impart besides posting to bboards and quoting Newsweeklies?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2004, 12:44:00 pm »

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 what is their student-to-teacher ratio?  how many freshman/sophmore level classes are taught by professors and not grad. students? that's the biggest strike, imo, against public universities. [/b]
I remember being in lecture halls with 300 others realizing that I didn't have to be there if I didn't want to.  I also had grad students teaching but I couldn't understand what they were saying through their accents!!!
 My grades hit the sh*tter and that was a wake-up call that I had to study more on my own.  
 All those points you make were somewhat of a handicap, but it also depends on the individuals' free-will and discipline.
 The end result was well worth it for less $$$! [/QB]
so, it's more about how the student looks at studying and learning than the teachers?  well, then what was point of all those figures you posted earlier?  are not those based on quality of teaching, not necessarily the quality of the students?

nevertheless, i completely agree that it is encumbent upon the student to study hard in order to get one's money's worth.  however, the task is much more difficult if you are one of 300 in one room and/or the grad student can't speak english.  what is the actual value of that education then?
OU812

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
Forget the grad students. I've had professors who can't speak english.

Celeste

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2004, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  ABSOLUTELY Celeste (and your wife) get credit and respect for doing it on their own.  However, that doesn't make the converse true -- that folks who had it paid for are to be derided or less respected.  Their families were blessed and place a high value on education.
I agree they shouldn't be derided...

G.Love

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2004, 12:53:00 pm »

You just keep right on believing that, Mr.Educated, and aim high!
You are right.  You come up with a better rating system (besides the aura of Ivy league - didn't Bush go to an Ivy League school?) and I will be happy to read it.
 Love,
 Mr. Educated (and Athletic) [/b]
Then enlighten us with your knowledge, O learned one.  What wisdom can you impart besides posting to bboards and quoting Newsweeklies? [/b]
Leave your comic book store one night and meet me at the club and I will be happy to discuss the principles of engineering with you over a beer. I never claimed to know everything but I am certainly educated in my field, regardles of not attending Harvard or Yale - which was my original point.  After the beer we can arm wrestle or have a discussion about posting pictures of Osama entitled "Santas little Helper"  - your choice.

markie

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2004, 12:55:00 pm »
Well I still get money from my parents occasionally and I am 31.

Its better that they give me some money than I despise them and go and get someone to kill them to reap the rewards.

Mankie, I think you have to be careful not to sound like my uncle. He said about his school, " If it was good enough for me, its good enough for my offspring". Not to denegrate my two cousins, but one works on a farm, the other a market stall. They both live 2 miles from home.

I am very proud of my parents for giving me the opportunities they did. They have been great. But also I am sure that they are proud of me and my acheivements. I had opportunities that they wish they had had. But I think they realise, to my credit, that I always worked hard and never let an opportunity slip from my grasp.

In the UK a much higher percentage of people go on to A-levels and University than they did when you left school. If you are well off and dont help pay for undergrad your children will despise you. I know because I had friends in that position and they just dreamed of theior parents dying. That is not a good way to be. My parents paid my rent and gave me 40 pounds a week whilst I was doing my undergrad. They refused to let me get loans or credit. I figure over those 4 years I cost them a new C-class Merc. I dont think they begrudge me it, too much.

mankie

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2004, 01:03:00 pm »
Children who despise their parents because they didn't pay for college are the spongers I'm talking about, and if your cousins had any drive or determination they would've done it themselves.

Celeste

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
  nevertheless, i completely agree that it is encumbent upon the student to study hard in order to get one's money's worth...
encumbent?
 too bad they don't teach spelling in college
  :)

ha ha...just busting your balls

G.Love

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2004, 01:07:00 pm »
 so, it's more about how the student looks at studying and learning than the teachers?  well, then what was point of all those figures you posted earlier?  are not those based on quality of teaching, not necessarily the quality of the students?

In reading briefly about the methodology for the ratings, it seems based on incoming student factors, school research factors (ie grants), student/faculty ratios, graduation rates and GPA's, etc. which doesn't say as much for the teaching as it does of the learning.
 Anyway, the Univ. of MD is a good education for a state school.

markie

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2004, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  Children who despise their parents because they didn't pay for college are the spongers I'm talking about, and if your cousins had any drive or determination they would've done it themselves.
In the UK it used to be the case that if you were from a poor family you got a student grant (now loan). If you were Ok off you got no grant. If your parents were well off the state expected them to pay for you. I know people whose parents were well off got no grant and whose parents would not pay anything. That was not a good situation to be in.

My cousins went to a crap school. If they had gone to the school I went to I have no doubts that they would of had higher aspirations. You were just expected to do something good.

But its pointless arguing with you. Therefor, I concede. You are right. I wish I worked on a farm and I hope that your offspring enjoy shoveling shit and driving tractor.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2004, 01:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celestial Balls:

nevertheless, i completely agree that it is encumbent upon the student to study hard in order to get one's money's worth...
encumbent?
 too bad they don't teach spelling in college
   :)  

ha ha...just busting your balls [/b]
no worries. . .for some reason i thought it was spelled that way when talking about an obligation.  i know that a politician in office is spelled incumbent.
OU812

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
Why do you feel the need to still take money from your parents, even at 31 with a PHD in hand? You can always say "No".

I've never understood why people would want to do that.

And no, I'm not asking in a judgemental tone, just never understood why people would do that.

keithstg

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2004, 01:17:00 pm »
[/qb][/QUOTE]In reading briefly about the methodology for the ratings, it seems based on incoming student factors, school research factors (ie grants), student/faculty ratios, graduation rates and GPA's, etc. which doesn't say as much for the teaching as it does of the learning.
 Anyway, the Univ. of MD is a good education for a state school. [/QB][/QUOTE]

U of MD. is a frigging joke. 17th out of public universities isn't anything to be proud about, really. It's underfunded, over attended, and it's undergraduate programs are mostly below average.

ratioci nation

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2004, 01:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithstg:
 U of MD. is a frigging joke.
hardly

keithstg

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2004, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by keithstg:
 U of MD. is a frigging joke.
hardly [/b]
For undergrad, it's probably the 4th or 5th best public school in this region. That's all.