Author Topic: why are american's so repressed?  (Read 24956 times)

Re: why are american's so repressed?
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2004, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Groundkeeper's Willy:

Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:

You just keep right on believing that, Mr.Educated, and aim high!
You are right.  You come up with a better rating system (besides the aura of Ivy league - didn't Bush go to an Ivy League school?) and I will be happy to read it.
 Love,
 Mr. Educated (and Athletic) [/b]
Then enlighten us with your knowledge, O learned one.  What wisdom can you impart besides posting to bboards and quoting Newsweeklies? [/b]
Leave your comic book store one night and meet me at the club and I will be happy to discuss the principles of engineering with you over a beer. I never claimed to know everything but I am certainly educated in my field, regardles of not attending Harvard or Yale - which was my original point.  After the beer we can arm wrestle or have a discussion about posting pictures of Osama entitled "Santas little Helper"  - your choice. [/b]
But, aside from picking barfights on bboards with strangers, and bemoaning the fact that you didn't attend Harvard engineering school(Is Harvard even known for their sterling engineering curricula?), DO you CLAIM to indeed 'know something' about..."Principles of Engineering &/or Arm Wrestling", as I believe you referred to it.  And does this knowledge constitute an education according to your worldview?  

Despite, your pronouncement of not having attended the Yale or Harvard engineering program DO YOU still consider yourself to be an "Educated" man?

markie

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2004, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyballs:
  Why do you feel the need to still take money from your parents

I went 6 weeks without being able to get paid and I needed to get a car. The insurance for which was $1k for 6months. I could have struggled by, but they always promised to help buy a car one day. First car at 31...... I think the time had come.

I am sure when it is time to buy a property that they will help too.

mankie

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by mankie:
  Children who despise their parents because they didn't pay for college are the spongers I'm talking about, and if your cousins had any drive or determination they would've done it themselves.
In the UK it used to be the case that if you were from a poor family you got a student grant (now loan). If you were Ok off you got no grant. If your parents were well off the state expected them to pay for you. I know people whose parents were well off got no grant and whose parents would not pay anything. That was not a good situation to be in.

My cousins went to a crap school. If they had gone to the school I went to I have no doubts that they would of had higher aspirations. You were just expected to do something good.

But its pointless arguing with you. Therefor, I concede. You are right. I wish I worked on a farm and I hope that your offspring enjoy shoveling shit and driving tractor. [/b]
No.....you win, if your cousins parents didn't pay for a higher education and your cousins had no spine of their own to go get a part time job to pay for it themselves, then it must be the parents fault they are working on a farm or market. Maybe their parents should've done their homework for them too.

Going from your comments you're obviously a spoiled little boy, so that alone makes you right all the time.

Bill Gates didn't get a college dgree did he? and I don't think he shovels shit...you're just one of those college educated elitist pukes...a likeable one, but you are one. Besides, shovelling shit for a while never hurt anyone and would spur most people in bettering themselves.

ratioci nation

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithstg:
  For undergrad, it's probably the 4th or 5th best public school in this region. That's all.
but do you think you could tell the difference between somebody who worked hard at maryland vs. somebody who worked hard at virginia, or somebody who did not work hard at either of those schools

mankie

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2004, 01:28:00 pm »

Originally posted by bunnyballs:
  Why do you feel the need to still take money from your parents

I went 6 weeks without being able to get paid and I needed to get a car. The insurance for which was $1k for 6months. I could have struggled by, but they always promised to help buy a car one day. First car at 31...... I think the time had come.

I am sure when it is time to buy a property that they will help too. [/b]
Does mummy fly over to come wipe your arse every time you take a shit?

I see that expensive college education paid off nicely seeing as you're still financially dependent on mum and dad at age 31.

If you didn't go to concerts as often as you do you could afford the car and insurance on your own...that would be the financially responsible thing to do, but no need to be financially responsible when you have your hand in dads pocket constantly is there?

G.Love

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2004, 01:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithstg:

U of MD. is a frigging joke. 17th out of public universities isn't anything to be proud about, really. It's underfunded, over attended, and it's undergraduate programs are mostly below average.
do you know how many public schools there are in this country?
 seriously, do you think that the engineering school ranking (25th) out of  all  universities that offer a doctorate (including private schools) is also a joke?  or the other undergrad programs that rank high - (see business school)?
 If it is, you tell that to my employer because he is paying me well based on my non credible knowledge!
 Don't be a hater.

keithstg

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2004, 01:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:[/qb]
but do you think you could tell the difference between somebody who worked hard at maryland vs. somebody who worked hard at virginia, or somebody who did not work hard at either of those schools [/QB][/QUOTE]

While I can't speak for everyone, my experience is that yes, you can tell. Also,in my experience, people who worked hard at liberal arts schools for undergrand tend to outperform those who worked hard at universities for undergrad.

markie

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2004, 01:35:00 pm »
  Going from your comments you're obviously a spoiled little boy, so that alone makes you right all the time.

Bill Gates didn't get a college dgree did he? and I don't think he shovels shit...you're just one of those college educated elitist pukes...a likeable one, but you are one. Besides, shovelling shit for a while never hurt anyone and would spur most people in bettering themselves.
Oh I did shitey jobs. I worked for several school holidays at the fruit and veg shop doing 11 or twelve hour days. One day I moved 5 tonnes of potato(e)s. All for 10 quid a day. Schoolwork was very appealing in comparison.

But, yes I am spoilt. In my defence, I am really glad I am am. And its not like I never struggled. I just struggled to do different things.

I think Bill Gates could have gone to college if he wanted. He was just a bright guy in the right place at the right time. There are simple stats that show you are likely to earn more and live longer if you are better educated.

keithstg

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2004, 01:40:00 pm »
 [/qb]
 seriously, do you think that the engineering school ranking (25th) out of  all  universities that offer a doctorate (including private schools) is also a joke?  or the other undergrad programs that rank high - (see business school)?
 If it is, you tell that to my employer because he is paying me well based on my non credible knowledge!
 Don't be a hater. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Look, you don't need to defend your education to me. All I'm saying is that U of MD. isn't a great institution for undergrad. If you've been out of school for more than a few years, it's more than likely that your employer is paying you based on your industry knowledge and work experience rather than your degree, anyway.

And, what is this, the Jay-Z bulletin board? A hater? Come on. If you love U of MD. so much, why don't you go up there every time the "students" riot and keep them from tearing the place apart...

ggw

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2004, 01:40:00 pm »
 Don't be a hater.
How many schools are in the engineering school population?

As for the business school rankings -- UMD is tied for 42nd.  Which means it's not very good.  Honestly.  The Wall Street Journal pointed out the business and financial world's dirty little secret in an article a few years ago.  If you didn't go to a top ten business school (Tuck, Wharton, Darden, Haas, Kellogg, Harvard, Sloan, Stanford, Chicago, maybe Fuqua, etc...) then you would probably have been better off saving your money.

markie

« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2004, 01:42:00 pm »
 I see that expensive college education paid off nicely seeing as you're still financially dependent on mum and dad at age 31.

Hardly dependent. It was the first time in five years. They had offered to help. And it saved me going deep into debt. They didnt pay so much at the NIH, you know. It was considered a "training position". Cheap foreign labour.

I could go to less concerts eat cheaper food. Live in a dingy apt. But it was just a cock-up not being able to get paid for so long.

G.Love

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
 But, aside from picking barfights on bboards with strangers, and bemoaning the fact that you didn't attend Harvard engineering school(Is Harvard even known for their sterling engineering curricula?), DO you CLAIM to indeed 'know something' about..."Principles of Engineering &/or Arm Wrestling", as I believe you referred to it.  And does this knowledge constitute an education according to your worldview?  

Despite, your pronouncement of not having attended the Yale or Harvard engineering program DO YOU still consider yourself to be an "Educated" man? [/QB]
1. I never tried to start a barfight with you or anyone else on this board, I only wnated to meet and exchange pleasantries.
 2. I never bemoaned not attending Harvard - I only found fault with your boisterous remark of parents wasting money on non-Ivy league schools with good footbal programs. Thus, I found a plausible exception to your comment as evidenced by my alma mater.
 3. Yes, I do claim to have knowledge of the princples of engineering, evidenced by my professional license to practice in the field of engineering.
 4.  Yes, I do know something about arm wrestling, albeit only from Sylvester Stallone's film "Over the Top"
 5.  Yes, I do consider myself educated - educated enough to know that it is not just a degree from a higher education learning facility that makes one educated or intelligent. Also educated enough to know that I don't profess to know everything.

So how about it, can we meet for a beer at the 930 club and continue this discussion? Don't be afraid, I am educated enough to know that violence is not an answer to anything.  Seeing as to how you have turned down other offers in the past, I will not be offended if you rebuff me.

mankie

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »

Oh I did shitey jobs. I worked for several school holidays at the fruit and veg shop doing 11 or twelve hour days. One day I moved 5 tonnes of potato(e)s. All for 10 quid a day. Schoolwork was very appealing in comparison.

But, yes I am spoilt. In my defence, I am really glad I am am. And its not like I never struggled. I just struggled to do different things.

I think Bill Gates could have gone to college if he wanted. He was just a bright guy in the right place at the right time. There are simple stats that show you are likely to earn more and live longer if you are better educated. [/b]
You're getting off track here...we're discussing wether parents owe their kids a college education, not wether a college education makes you live longer or earn more money....do you learn not to run in front of buses or something at college?

I did the fruit and veg job too, before I did my paper round every afternoon. I didn't mind it apart from having to write "5lbs" with a permanent marker on about 1,000 bags every shagging day!

« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2004, 01:48:00 pm »
In Markie's defense, taking some money ONCE in five years qualifies as less that "occasionally" in my book.

For me, for my first car, my dad sold me his old one on credit...Took me about 3 years to pay him back for it, but I did eventually.

At my age, being fully employed, and married to some who is as well, I'd feel uncomfortable accepting money from parent or in-laws. I'd happily accept an interest free loan, but I'd pay it back in full.

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2004, 01:50:00 pm »
The UMD computer science graduate program is wuite highly regarded.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Don't be a hater.
How many schools are in the engineering school population?

As for the business school rankings -- UMD is tied for 42nd.  Which means it's not very good.  Honestly.  The Wall Street Journal pointed out the business and financial world's dirty little secret in an article a few years ago.  If you didn't go to a top ten business school (Tuck, Wharton, Darden, Haas, Kellogg, Harvard, Sloan, Stanford, Chicago, maybe Fuqua, etc...) then you would probably have been better off saving your money. [/b]