Author Topic: Scream at the Black Cat  (Read 8530 times)

andyrichter

Scream at the Black Cat
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:03:38 am »
Such an awesome band, such an awesome show.   All the DC celebs were out tonight, Ian, Guy, Brian Baker.  I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout with the streets looking like shit and the metro not even running to U Street station.  I would put the crowd around 500 or so.  I thought the whole band was fantastic considering how much practice time I'm guessing they had for this show.  I loved watching Kent Stax on the drums, just steady as a rock.  But Pete Stahl was just a monster up there.  He looked so happy to be playing again, with Skeeter coming in a close 2nd.  Setlist was split between most of their records.  The Still Screaming and This Side Up songs (Solidarity, Influenced, Fight, This Side Up) were just killer and obviously got the biggest reactions.  They also played a bunch of new songs so it looks like this isn't just a one off reunion show.  It was almost comical watching the black cat staff with their tiny flashlights scurrying around in the pit every time someone did a stage dive and try to usher them out.  I did see 1 fight in the pit but that got taken outside.  Pete actually almost dove into the crowd to try and break it up.  The place went nuts for Came Without Warning.  So glad I was able to make this show.   8)

And for those of you wondering, no Dave Grohl. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:05:22 am by andyrichter »

James Ford

Re: Scream at the Black Cat
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:11 am »
Such an awesome band, such an awesome show.   All the DC celebs were out tonight, Ian, Guy, Brian Baker.

What about this guy?

hutch

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:11:57 pm »
Agree. This show was wonderful! What a band.. I 'd never seen them....Very glad I made it out...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:08:53 pm »
What are you talking about, no Dave Grohl?   He was the long-haired guy on the left side of the stage, mostly standing behind Skeeter and playing guitar in a very low-key manner.     The only thing he didn't do was announce "I'm Dave Grohl," or try to trade on his celebrity in any way.  He just looked happy to be among old friends.

Brian Baker came up on stage for the encore, too.   

A couple of peeps actually had to leave in an ambulance as a result of stage divers, a pretty good reminder of why the Black Cat bans it.   I hung back because of that, I didn't need to get kicked in the head by some  tool trying to relive his youth (or some tool trying to enact his idea of what you do at punk shows).

my writeup here.  Bottom line, really great show, and a mostly cool crowd despite the stage diving.

http://dcalex.blogspot.com/2009/12/still-screaming.html

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:13:59 pm by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:25:52 pm »
So Dave was on stage, yet no one else noticed him?

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:29 pm »
ok, who was the extra guitarist standing behind Skeeter?
_\|/_

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:40:14 pm »
I wasn't there, but the idea of Dave being on stage and no one in the crowd knowing is a bit odd.

I do think that if he did join them, he would have done it unannounced, so you could be right.

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »
This mostly wasn't a crowd of Nirvana or Foo Fighters fans... they were there to see Scream.  Especially since it was billed as original lineup (without him).   I think most people present wouldn't have reacted much if he was onstage.   

_\|/_

Unsanity

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:45:08 pm »
That dude was not Dave Grohl.

• my blog
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 05:47:46 pm »
So who was he?
_\|/_

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 05:48:23 pm »
I figured it wouldn't be a FF crowd. But it seems anyone into Scream enough to get excited, and brave the snow for a reunion show would recognize Dave on stage.

I could be wrong, though. Are TCV even in the country nowadays?

• my blog
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 05:51:33 pm »
I don't particularly care one way or the other, other than needing to modify my blog if I'm wrong.

_\|/_

Unsanity

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:58:20 pm »
Pete or Franz said who it was but alas I can't remember. He looked younger than anyone else on stage. He did have Dave Grohlish long mop hair. We need some pics from the show to figure this out. I think TCV is in England right now anyway.

andyrichter

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 06:03:03 pm »
I would know Dave Grohl if I saw him and that was definitely not him.  It was just an extra guitarist.  

I got a couple elbows to the face and jaw by stage divers.  The price to pay for being up front.  I did see one fly right by me and get dropped to the ground. I'm guessing he was one of the ones who went to the hospital.

• my blog
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 06:12:41 pm »
I tried to find photos of Scream at the Black Cat on Flickr, and instead got this

_\|/_