Author Topic: Jiffy Lube Live  (Read 68008 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Jiffy Lube Live
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 11:07:43 pm »
?It?s probably going to be an issue for the first concert or two,? Chinn said.

I bet.

No thanks.

i'm sure it will be - because after 1 or 2 shows, they will realize what a disaster that decision was and will put a stop to that idiocy.  done and done.

do they really think people are only going to show up an hour before the show?  of course not.  they won't be let in, so then what?  they'll start blocking all the access roads.  loudoun county police will freak out and start ticketing the cars who can't move b/c the roads are gridlocked, by the time the last car arrive it'll be time for the first ones to start leaving... for those who thought the clusterf*ck at nissan/jiffy couldn't get any worse, think again.

You guys do realize that if you leave during the encore and have a fast set of walking legs, you can beat the crowd and not wait in the lot 3.5 hours, right?

in a properly designed and run venue, that isn't necessary.  MPP has several access roads going in all directions, and multiple parking options with multiple exits/entrances = never waited more than 15 minutes to get out of parking lot.  for that time investment, i'll stay for the encore.
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »
RHETT - I did leave before the last song. Even walked out third to last song, BEFORE encore! We knew to get out of there early. Took the long walk, jogged a bit to get a head start to the car -- yet, others did too. The staff opened the gates, we were behind it, it was a cluster*, we asked them to move the gates multiple times to help us, they didn't, even laughed, and by then the show was over. Then the encore was over, and the next thing you knew even the street was backed up. Geez, do I have to tell you allll the details so you don't call me an idiot? The place is messed up whether I stayed for the last song or not. If I had decided to wait for others to leave, it wouldn't have mattered - I would have sat there for five hours. What venue have you been to that you need to wait 3-5 hours for the crowd to drain out?
I'm sorry people criticize you all day and you need attention that you feel inclined to call names and judge others for things that you have no experience.

Stayng for the entire show at MPP? I've experienced 15-20 min. with a helpful staph waving us goodbye. 30 mins one time but that was a huge festival years ago. so it may have only felt like 30 min. ;P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:35:33 pm by Zhivago »

eltee

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 11:13:41 pm »
I haven't been to Nissan

Oh, know your subject it's called: JIFFY LUBE LIVE

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16:34 pm »
don't like the trees around the place. 

i thought you were all nature-boy.  how can you not love having trees around??  would you rather have concrete pillars and steel tubes?  no wonder you're OK with jiffy lube... ;)

don't like the food or beer. 

i don't get this at all.  MPP has the best food and drink selection of any shed i've been to, and like others here i've been to many.  95% of sheds serve burgers, hot dogs, nuclear natchos and lite beer.  i'm not saying MPP is a foodie's dream, but you can get real food there.

don't like maryland.

is this that thing about how VA'ers can't deal with MD, and vice-versa?  both sides seem to break out into hives whenever they cross the potomac.  i find that shit hilarious.  

don't like that it is too far for me. 

fuck yeah - i hate chicago, san francisco, the grand canyon, amsterdam and sydney for the same reason.  those places all suck.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 11:22:35 pm »
Hey, Rhett. For the next time that you are out to see a show:

eltee

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 11:25:02 pm »
You guys do realize that if you leave during the encore and have a fast set of walking legs, you can beat the crowd and not wait in the lot 3.5 hours, right?

in a properly designed and run venue, that isn't necessary.  MPP has several access roads going in all directions, and multiple parking options with multiple exits/entrances = never waited more than 15 minutes to get out of parking lot.  for that time investment, i'll stay for the encore.
Thanks, sweetie for the extra detail to support. If it had just been my experience (or fault as some have pointed out), I would accept blame. Yet, I haven't heard any good stories from others about The Lube..most state the same mishaps and discontent (no matter what time you leave unless you are missing half the show)

Jaguar

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:39 pm »
The real reason Rhett chooses to rush home before the show ends:

Rhett and Celeste get ready to enjoy a good lube job after getting lubed at the Lube.

James Ford

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2011, 07:51:46 am »
I'm sorry my idea didn't work for you. Refer to page 2 and read Eros' experience. It did work for him/her. Maybe he/she could add some additional advice based on his/her personal experience at JL.

I would add to think about where you park in advance and how it will affect your exit. Strategize.

The first couple of times I went to a NASCAR event, I stayed until the end, and then was stuck in the lot and then traffic for hours. Since then, I've been strategic about where I parked and when I departed and have not had a problem. Same thing for the shed where I saw concerts growing up (in upstate NY) and Wolftrap.

Regarding other things in this thread:

I think the State Theater occasionally has a decent show. But to favorably compare it to the 9:30 Club is silly.

And the best food is at Wolftrap. where you can bring your own food and alcohol.

And I've lived in MD (Baltimore and DC bubrbs), VA and DC. I'll take both VA and MD over DC@!

RHETT - I did leave before the last song. Even walked out third to last song, BEFORE encore! We knew to get out of there early. Took the long walk, jogged a bit to get a head start to the car -- yet, others did too. The staff opened the gates, we were behind it, it was a cluster*, we asked them to move the gates multiple times to help us, they didn't, even laughed, and by then the show was over. Then the encore was over, and the next thing you knew even the street was backed up. Geez, do I have to tell you allll the details so you don't call me an idiot? The place is messed up whether I stayed for the last song or not. If I had decided to wait for others to leave, it wouldn't have mattered - I would have sat there for five hours. What venue have you been to that you need to wait 3-5 hours for the crowd to drain out?
I'm sorry people criticize you all day and you need attention that you feel inclined to call names and judge others for things that you have no experience.

Stayng for the entire show at MPP? I've experienced 15-20 min. with a helpful staph waving us goodbye. 30 mins one time but that was a huge festival years ago. so it may have only felt like 30 min. ;P

K8teebug

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 08:02:06 am »
My problem with Merriweather is the loge section.  It was built out of greed and shouldn't exist.  The sound and sight lines are crap and the tarp covering it cuts off all airflow inside the pavilion.  On a hot day it will be cooler in the sun than in the pavilion because of the tarps covering the loge.  The sound/view from the lawn is also terrible but I am a pavilion snob so that's irrelevant.

It was built for a Tom Jones concert, to accomodate his crazy fans.

eltee

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 10:01:07 am »
I had already done all of the things you suggested: left early, ran, parked near the exit, etc. The high schoolers didn't work the lot as soon as they opened them into the traffic which caused the cluster. I went over this. I'm not perfecting the past for you. I only shared an experience at Nissan. Obviously I learned from my and others' experience(s). Sheesh. I'm not that big of idiot where I would do the same thing again -- I didn't say I did. I ask if you want to criticize, name call and offer advice, it is more easily received if you have actually experienced the event. If you haven't and offer a solution (in this case based on your practice at other venues) - don't call me names and insult my actions.
Believe me, I'm strategic in my concert goings more than the average person. I don't need to explain or defend how I see a show to you. It was a mishap experience for me (or perhaps not an isolated incident, as others have "justified" to you), which happens in life even with the most pre-planning possible.

Enough about you more about the Lube...

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 10:03:18 am »

And the best food is at Wolftrap. where you can bring your own food and alcohol.

I just wish they'd schedule an act that I really wanted to see.  Same crap every year with a couple of wildcards thrown in.  But the idea of a picnic on the lawn simply can't be beat.

James Ford

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 10:11:42 am »
Agreed and agreed.

I was hoping thy had turned a corner the year they booke David Byrne/Devotchka and Wilco.

But apparently that year was an anomaly. Or the stars simply aligned to give two shows that interested me.

I just wish they'd schedule an act that I really wanted to see.  Same crap every year with a couple of wildcards thrown in.  But the idea of a picnic on the lawn simply can't be beat.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 10:12:53 am »
i'd see Brian Wilson again but not performing Gershwin songs...
(_|_)

Jaguar

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 10:25:55 am »
Concerning live music venues, nothing more boring than one that keeps booking the same worn out acts, year in and year out, with no real regard to any sort of current scene. The old Merriweather was notorious for that! Though I haven't kept up with their shows of late, Pier Six in Baltimore has the same problem. Guess that's what happens when all you do is look at past numbers without having any real sense of the arts themselves. Boring, boring, BORING! I never have traffic problems with such places (unless I just happen to be driving in those areas at those times) because I just don't even bother to pay any attention to their schedules after awhile. Don't like large arena and most shed shows anyway but would consider a few at some of the smaller and much better managed ones such at the newer Merriweather.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:27:45 am by Jaguar »

walkonby

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 10:28:49 am »
don't like the trees around the place. 

i thought you were all nature-boy.  how can you not love having trees around??  would you rather have concrete pillars and steel tubes?  no wonder you're OK with jiffy lube... ;)

don't like the food or beer. 

i don't get this at all.  MPP has the best food and drink selection of any shed i've been to, and like others here i've been to many.  95% of sheds serve burgers, hot dogs, nuclear natchos and lite beer.  i'm not saying MPP is a foodie's dream, but you can get real food there.

don't like maryland.

is this that thing about how VA'ers can't deal with MD, and vice-versa?  both sides seem to break out into hives whenever they cross the potomac.  i find that shit hilarious.  

don't like that it is too far for me. 

fuck yeah - i hate chicago, san francisco, the grand canyon, amsterdam and sydney for the same reason.  those places all suck.

i like sweetcell.