Author Topic: Top 100 Singles of 2003  (Read 14184 times)

ggw

Re: Top 100 Singles of 2003
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2004, 02:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 I am sure some bands would rather someone not hear thier music at all if they arent going to buy it.  but i bet some bands would take the exposure in turn for some concert sales/support/buzz or something.  

dont you think.
Absolutely.  That's why so many bands put mp3s on their sites.

plus, you cant stop me from downloading music, so therefore, i wont really try to justify it to you   ;)  
ding, Ding, DING.

Since your chance of getting caught is so low, there's really nothing wrong with it.  Right?

sonickteam2

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2004, 02:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Since your chance of getting caught is so low, there's really nothing wrong with it.  Right? [/b]
now THATS stupid logic!  way to go, i knew you could outdo me   :)

ggw

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
  now THATS stupid logic!  way to go, i knew you could outdo me    :)  
"a rhetorical question is one asked solely to produce an effect (especially to make an assertion) rather than to elicit a reply"

I was summarizing the logic behind your statement that you don't need to justify it since you can't be stopped.  Obviously it worked, as you were readily able to identify the "stupid logic" in such an argument.

sonickteam2

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »

now THATS stupid logic!  way to go, i knew you could outdo me     :)  
"a rhetorical question is one asked solely to produce an effect (especially to make an assertion) rather than to elicit a reply"

I was summarizing the logic behind your statement that you don't need to justify it since you can't be stopped.  Obviously it worked, as you were readily able to identify the "stupid logic" in such an argument. [/b]
no what you were doing, my good friend, is putting words into my mouth.  
   when i say "i dont need to justify it to you" it doesnt mean "i dont think it is wrong"  
    Justification in this case means:  the reason that i dont feel bad about doing it

then you misquote me.  

I sensed your rhetorical question last time, but chose to ignore it just as you choose to ignore the real meanings of my posts  :)

see?  or should i provide a link?

flawd101

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2004, 07:37:00 pm »
but album art comes on cool paper!!!!
 and its funner when you get them signed.

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2004, 01:17:00 am »
Excellent list of songs.  The only glaring omission that I definitely would have added would be Keane's "This is the Last Time", which I thought was the best single of 2003.  That band is definitely one to watch (I think their debut is coming out this spring in the U.K.)...

ggw

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2004, 11:12:00 am »
 when i say "i dont need to justify it to you" it doesnt mean "i dont think it is wrong"

So you are admitting you're wrong to steal music?

sonickteam2

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2004, 11:24:00 am »

So you are admitting you're wrong to steal music? [/b]
wrong because its illegal, yes.

But I sold pot in high school, i drive 75 on the beltway, and i am actually breaking company policy by being on this messageboard at work. as are many people here perhaps.  

i guess it just depends which laws people can morally accept to break.  

what we are arguing is a question of morals (since we can all agree that its illegal), which isnt really a thing to prove right or wrong.

ggw

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
 what we are arguing is a question of morals (since we can all agree that its illegal), which isnt really a thing to prove right or wrong.
Are you saying there are no moral "wrongs?"

ratioci nation

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2004, 11:49:00 am »
only seeing a Roman Polanski film

ggw

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

only seeing a Roman Polanski film [/b]
You have learnt well, Grasshopper.

sonickteam2

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2004, 11:58:00 am »
this is a pretty boring conversation with you just asking random questions.

but, i will humour this once more.

I am suggesting that morals are not right or wrong.  different people have different morals.  and some of them are popular enough for us to say that they are "morally right" .  But that is a generalization and not specific to everyone.  

so a moral wrong?   no. not by definition. but society does make them.

we could do this all day couldnt we?  but i am bored with you kind of.

ggw

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »
 this is a pretty boring conversation with you just asking random questions.

but, i will humour this once more.

I am suggesting that morals are not right or wrong.  different people have different morals.  and some of them are popular enough for us to say that they are "morally right" .  But that is a generalization and not specific to everyone.  

so a moral wrong?   no. not by definition. but society does make them.

we could do this all day couldnt we?  but i am bored with you kind of.
Well advocating that there are no moral wrongs is a clever solution.  Of course, it's completely indefensible since, if you universalized that position, it would just mean pure chaos.  I mean, killing, raping, etc... could all just be seen as societally mandated morals, not "wrong" by definition under your construct.  Therefore, each person would be right to do whatever one wanted.

But since you're bored with the questions, I'll just state what is pretty obvious to even a small child -- taking something that doesn't belong to you is wrong (we could call it "bad" if you prefer).

There are plenty of legitimate arguments for why the music industry/record labels suck, and there are plenty of strong, legitimate arguments about why artists and labels should offer downloads of their music (and many do), but none of those arguments have any real bearing on the fact that stealing somebody elses property is wrong.

I just get a kick out of hearing the tangled logic people use to justify or excuse the practice.

sonickteam2

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
if you just like to put everything in a neat little "right/wrong" package as taught to you in school or something. Thats fine. I am wrong.

But i dont feel bad about it, i dont feel like a bad person. and i am not going to stop doing it.

and i find your logic just as stupid as mine ever was or will be.  pretty simple as that.  see, we're both still happy and nothing's changed.  except we've both wasted our time and others.   :)   I think I'll go steal some music and rape some children now !

sonickteam2

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »

(we could call it "bad" if you prefer).
 [/b]
"wrong" and "bad" are not really interchangeable, btw.