Author Topic: Top 100 Singles of 2003  (Read 14185 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Top 100 Singles of 2003
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2004, 12:26:00 pm »
and just so you know.  When someone buys a CD and then sells it to Record and Tape traders, Soundgarden, DCCD etc.  Said store is paying to buy the CD back and then when YOU buy it from them, they do not give any money to the label.  So, although, you are paying money for the CD, you are not buying it from the person who owns it. But if it makes you feel better cause you paid for it or because someone did once, or because you bought it from a store, then fine.

like i said before, whatever helps you sleep at night.  but its no different.

ggw

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2004, 12:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  and just so you know.  When someone buys a CD and then sells it to Record and Tape traders, Soundgarden, DCCD etc.  Said store is paying to buy the CD back and then when YOU buy it from them, they do not give any money to the label.  So, although, you are paying money for the CD, you are not buying it from the person who owns it. But if it makes you feel better cause you paid for it or because someone did once, or because you bought it from a store, then fine.

like i said before, whatever helps you sleep at night.  but its no different.
So, you're saying two wrongs make a right?  Since the property owner doesn't get paid a second time when his used CD is sold again, then it's okay that he doesn't get paid at all when you download?

LOL

I liked your earlier excuse better:

my only thing is, if i couldnt download music, then would i buy more? nope. cause i just dont have enough money.
Why don't you extend that logic to everything?

If I couldn't steal jewelry, then would I buy more? Nope, because I just don't have enough money.

If I couldn't steal computers, then would I buy more? Nope, because I just don't have enough money.

Could we insert anything into that statement?  Or is it only music that it is okay to steal when we have exhausted our means for paying for it?

sonickteam2

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2004, 12:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  So, you're saying two wrongs make a right?  Since the property owner doesn't get paid a second time when his used CD is sold again, then it's okay that he doesn't get paid at all when you download?

do you buy used CDs?  i know a lot of people on here do.  The same ones that bitch about downloading. All i am saying is that YOU are doing the exact same thing when you buy used CDs.  so unless you dont eve buy used CDs and you buy all of your music at full price, then you are stealing music too.  you are just spending money to steal and i am not. haha.

and i will extend that logic to everything.  I rent DVDs and copy them too.  and i stole 5 cars when i was in Canada, too. it pays good money you know.

sonickteam2

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »

Or is it only music that it is okay to steal when we have exhausted our means for paying for it? [/b]
well, the truth is, music, you can steal from your computer.  you dont have to go to a store to do it.  

When you can download jewelry, people will start stealing that more often too.

ratioci nation

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2004, 12:52:00 pm »
  do you buy used CDs?  i know a lot of people on here do.  The same ones that bitch about downloading. All i am saying is that YOU are doing the exact same thing when you buy used CDs.  so unless you dont eve buy used CDs and you buy all of your music at full price, then you are stealing music too.  you are just spending money to steal and i am not. haha.

and i will extend that logic to everything.  I rent DVDs and copy them too.  and i stole 5 cars when i was in Canada, too. it pays good money you know.
obviously you think buying a used car is the same thing as stealing a car

sonickteam2

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »
ggw, i would love to further this conversation, but i am leaving on a long weekend to Toronto, so i must bid you farewell.

the point is. if you dont want to download music, then dont.  I dont really do it anymore either, to be honest, (not P2P anyway).  Its not going to kill music, music will just adapt and you can keep buying your used CDs and supporting the scene the way you feel comfortable and so will everyone else.  :)

- have a good weekend, cause where i am going it's going to be 10 degrees and snowing!!!!

ggw

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »

Not the same thing at all.  A used CD was new at some point.  When it was initially sold, the copyright owner was paid.

I guess buying a used car is the equivalent of stealing a car?

sonickteam2

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2004, 12:57:00 pm »

I guess buying a used car is the equivalent of stealing a car? [/b]
Cars only last a certain number of years. CDs last forever.  If you buy a car that has 100,000 miles on it, then you arent getting anywhere NEAR the same car as you would buying it new.

c'mon GGW you KNOW thats a stupid comparison!

Bags

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2004, 12:57:00 pm »
Sonick, excellent point that I hadn't thought of.  Why is selling used CDs legal?  Are there any kind of aggregate payments made?  Hmmmm.....that's a head scratcher.  How is it different for me to burn a copy of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for a friend, then for that friend to buy it at CD Exchange?

So, you're saying two wrongs make a right?  

and i will extend that logic to everything.  I rent DVDs and copy them too.  and i stole 5 cars when i was in Canada, too. it pays good money you know. [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »

Not the same thing at all.  A used CD was new at some point.  When it was initially sold, the copyright owner was paid.
 [/b]
well then, if someone buys an album, and then uploads it onto thier computer and then shares it, its ok for me to download?  cause as long as someone bought it, the copyright was paid for.

i am making a valid point here.

ggw

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
  ggw, i would love to further this conversation, but i am leaving on a long weekend to Toronto, so i must bid you farewell.

Try not to steal any Molson, hoser.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »

Buying used CDs is certainly not stealing.  Assuming the CD was originally paid for by someone, the label, artist, etc. have all been fully paid for the sale of that CD.  Just because it changes hands later doesn't entitle anyone to get paid again for it.  That's like saying everytime someone sells a used car they're stealing from the car manufacturer.

sonickteam2

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2004, 01:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Sonick, excellent point that I hadn't thought of.  Why is selling used CDs legal?  Are there any kind of aggregate payments made?  
no maam, i work at one of these stores, and we dont even inventory used CDs. so we have no idea which ones we are selling.

the only way i can think of it being legal or "ok" is that the stores selling these used CDs are also selling new merchandise from these labels.  so while we are profiting from sales of Used Cds, we are bringing in customers to perhaps buy a new disc if we dont have a used copy.

other than that, we're just selling stuff we didnt pay for the rights to sell.

ggw

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »

[/b]
well then, if someone buys an album, and then uploads it onto thier computer and then shares it, its ok for me to download?  cause as long as someone bought it, the copyright was paid for.

i am making a valid point here. [/b]
You are just deluding yourself that your point is valid.

If I buy an album and upload it to my computer, I am reproducing and distributing the copyrighted work of others.  If I sell a used CD to a store, I am not reproducing anything.

sonickteam2

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
 Try not to steal any Molson, hoser.
take off!  ;)