Author Topic: Top 100 Singles of 2003  (Read 14186 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Top 100 Singles of 2003
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I am not reproducing anything.
but you are distributing and not only that you are selling the work of others.   which is worse, cause at least downloading is not done for money.

Bags

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2004, 01:14:00 pm »
Yes, but I originally bought the CD I burned for a friend, so the copyright was paid for.  I didn't sell it to anyone or make mass quantities.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 do you buy used CDs?  i know a lot of people on here do.  The same ones that bitch about downloading. All i am saying is that YOU are doing the exact same thing when you buy used CDs.  so unless you dont eve buy used CDs and you buy all of your music at full price, then you are stealing music too.  you are just spending money to steal and i am not. haha.

Not the same thing at all.  A used CD was new at some point.  When it was initially sold, the copyright owner was paid.

I guess buying a used car is the equivalent of stealing a car? [/b]

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2004, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Sonick, excellent point that I hadn't thought of.  Why is selling used CDs legal?  Are there any kind of aggregate payments made?  Hmmmm.....that's a head scratcher.  How is it different for me to burn a copy of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for a friend, then for that friend to buy it at CD Exchange?

Because I assume someone originally paid for the copy that ended up at CD Exchange.  The Yeah Yeah Yeah's have already been paid for the sale of that disc.   When you burn a copy for your friend nobody gets paid.  Two people now have a copy of the disc, even though only one copy was paid for.

ggw

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2004, 01:27:00 pm »

I am not reproducing anything.
but you are distributing and not only that you are selling the work of others.   which is worse, cause at least downloading is not done for money. [/b]
But you are distributing a single, original item.  One for which compensation was paid.  If you are distributing on a p2p, you are creating multiple items, none of which were compensated.

Just because technology makes it possible to do this free and easy doesn't change the underlying notions.  Imagine you could reproduce your car as many times as you wanted at virtually no cost.  Would distributing all these cars be the same as selling the one original?

ggw

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2004, 01:29:00 pm »
  Yes, but I originally bought the CD I burned for a friend, so the copyright was paid for.  I didn't sell it to anyone or make mass quantities.

I'm not sure if burning and giving it to a friend is technically legal or not.  But I don't think anyone cares because it's not like a p2p, where there are several million people making copies at any given point in time.  So it's a matter of scale.

Bags

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2004, 01:43:00 pm »
But that's exactly the same if I buy the YYYs, sell it to Game Exchange, and same said friend buys the used copy.  The artists et al. get paid once, regardless of how many times the cd sells at used places.

-Edit-  sorry, I wrote this before but posted after your last post.

Originally posted by Skeeter:

Sonick, excellent point that I hadn't thought of.  Why is selling used CDs legal?  Are there any kind of aggregate payments made?  Hmmmm.....that's a head scratcher.  How is it different for me to burn a copy of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for a friend, then for that friend to buy it at CD Exchange?

Because I assume someone originally paid for the copy that ended up at CD Exchange.  The Yeah Yeah Yeah's have already been paid for the sale of that disc.   When you burn a copy for your friend nobody gets paid.  Two people now have a copy of the disc, even though only one copy was paid for. [/b]

jakez468

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2004, 02:31:00 pm »
most of those songs were either never released as a single, and/or never recieved radio airplay...the list seems to be more of yer alls favorite songs of the last year. is that what it is?

sonickteam2

« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2004, 03:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by jakez468:
  most of those songs were either never released as a single, and/or never recieved radio airplay...the list seems to be more of yer alls favorite songs of the last year. is that what it is?
What do you mean never released as a single?  They most certainly got radio airplay on the radio.  Not necessarily around here, but all of those songs (well, 95%) were on the radio in other locations besides Baltimore/DC.  I for one, listen to WOXY sometimes, and have heard most of the songs on there, as well as other stations.

go to www.fmqb.com and also check out some other radio stations websites, and you will find that there are TONS of songs played on other stations, not played on HFS or DC101.

Celeste

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2004, 03:38:00 pm »

i am making a valid point here.
thanks for pointing that out...ha ha

re-selling a used CD is selling an OBJECT the other scenarios you're talking about are dealing with the CONTENT...

I copy CDs sometimes...but I won't pretend it's not shady...

muke

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2004, 04:28:00 pm »
read the liner notes in the latest BRMC album.  they have updated their copyright notice for the modern age.  not sure if other bands are following suit.  or if it is a band or management decision.

ggw

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by muke:
  read the liner notes in the latest BRMC album.  they have updated their copyright notice for the modern age.  not sure if other bands are following suit.  or if it is a band or management decision.
The Dandy Warhols had the same message.  It's the kinder, gentler piracy warning label.

sonickteam2

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
what is it?  i dont have the liner notes cause I PIRATED THE CD!!!!

just kidding, i just dont like BRMC.

ggw

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2004, 08:03:00 pm »
  what is it?  i dont have the liner notes cause I PIRATED THE CD!!!!

just kidding, i just dont like BRMC.
"Thank you for buying this music and for supporting the artists, songwriters, musicians and others who've made it possible.  Please remember that this recording and artwork are protected by copyright law.  Since you don't own the copyright, it's not yours to distribute.  Please don't use Internet services that promote the illegal distribution of copyrighted music, give away illegal copies of discs or lend discs to others for copying.  It's hurting the artists who created the music.  It has the same effect as stealing a disc from a store without paying for it."