Author Topic: U.S Teens are fattest, Lithuanians are least fat  (Read 3723 times)

U.S Teens are fattest, Lithuanians are least fat
« on: January 06, 2004, 11:16:00 am »
Study says U.S. teens are fattest

- - - - - - - - - - - -
 By Lindsey Tanner

Jan. 5, 2004  |  CHICAGO (AP) -- Teenagers in the United States have higher rates of obesity than those in 14 other industrialized countries, including France and Germany, a study of nearly 30,000 youngsters ages 13 and 15 found.

Among American 15-year-olds, 15 percent of girls and nearly 14 percent of boys were obese, and 31 percent of girls and 28 percent of boys were more modestly overweight.

The findings are based on school questionnaires given to youngsters in the 15 countries in 1997 and 1998. The study was led by Inge Lissau, a researcher at the National Institute of Public Health in Copenhagen, Denmark, and was published in the January issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine.

The heaviest countries, based on data from 15-year-olds, also included Greece, Portugal, Israel, Ireland and Denmark.

U.S. teens were more likely than those in other countries to eat fast food, snacks and sugary sodas and were more likely to be driven to school and other activities, contributing to a more sedentary lifestyle, said co-author Mary Overpeck of the U.S. Maternal and Child Health Bureau.

"The rest of the world may be catching up, but we're still in first place in a race that unfortunately we shouldn't want to be winning," said Dr. David Ludwig, an obesity researcher at Children's Hospital Boston who was not involved in the study. He led a study published Monday in another journal, Pediatrics, that found that nearly one-third of U.S. youngsters eat fast food on any given day.

Lithuania had the lowest obesity rates in the latest study. Among Lithuanian 15-year-olds, about 2 percent of girls and 0.8 percent of boys were obese, and 8 percent of girls and 5 percent of boys were overweight.

That is probably because Lithuania has fewer fast-food restaurants and its teens have less money to buy snacks and fast food, Overpeck said.

In some countries, such as Ireland, Portugal and Sweden, 13-year-old girls were more likely than 15-year-old girls to be obese.

Among French 15-year-olds, 4 percent of girls and almost 3 percent of boys were obese, and nearly 13 percent of girls and 10 percent of boys were overweight. Among German 15-year-olds, about 5 percent of girls and boys were obese, and nearly 15 percent of girls and 14 percent of boys were overweight.

The other countries studied were Austria, Czech Republic, Flemish Belgium, Finland and Slovenia.

Overpeck said preliminary data from more recent surveys show little if any change in rates among the countries studied.

The World Health Organization last year said obesity is no longer mostly an American problem but is an increasing concern in Europe and other developed nations because people are abandoning traditional dietary habits and adopting more sedentary lifestyles.

Weight calculations were based on teens' body-mass index, a height-weight ratio.

Countries with some of the heaviest youngsters after the United States, based on data from 15-year-olds, were:

_Greece: 5.5 percent of girls were obese and about 16 percent were overweight; nearly 11 percent of boys were obese and almost 29 percent were overweight.

_Portugal: nearly 7 percent of girls were obese and almost 21 percent were overweight; about 5 percent of boys were obese and 14 percent were overweight.

_Israel: about 6 percent of girls were obese and 16 percent were overweight; nearly 7 percent of boys were obese and 20 percent were overweight;

_Ireland: nearly 5 percent of girls were overweight and 14 percent were overweight; almost 3 percent of boys were obese and 19 percent were overweight.

_Denmark: 6.5 percent of girls were obese and 18 percent were overweight; about 3 percent of boys were obese and 10 percent were overweight.

bungle bud

Re: U.S Teens are fattest, Lithuanians are least fat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 01:36:00 pm »
and did you notice more girls than boys are fat.

grotty

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 01:37:00 pm »
I'm mostly Lithuanian.

The only other time I can remember this being noteworthy was when the Grateful Dead donated jerseys for the Lithuanian men's basketball team.

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 01:48:00 pm »
And all these years i thought the Ethopians were the least fattest.

bungle bud

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
no they have massive bellys

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 02:01:00 pm »
oh is that why I'm fat?  because I live in America...I guess I should move

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 02:06:00 pm »
on second thought, when I was 15, I was 5'6 and 92lbs...I had the same measurements as Twiggy

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
So is my wife. I wonder if you're related.

Originally posted by grotty:
  I'm mostly Lithuanian.

mankie

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 02:24:00 pm »
My mum's going to be well pissed off when she finds out she was sending all the food I wouldn't eat as a kid to Africa and it was the poor Lithuanians that were starving.

mankie

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 02:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] So is my wife. I wonder if you're related.

Rhett, that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO American of you.

mankie

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 02:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Samantha:
  on second thought, when I was 15, I was 5'6 and 92lbs...
Was that each, or for the pair?  ;)

Celeste

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »

Lithuania had the lowest obesity rates in the latest study. Among Lithuanian 15-year-olds, about 2 percent of girls and 0.8 percent of boys were obese, and 8 percent of girls and 5 percent of boys were overweight.

That is probably because Lithuania has fewer fast-food restaurants and its teens have less money to buy snacks and fast food, Overpeck said. [/QB]
or because we are of superior genetic makeup...ha ha ha...I am at least half Lithuanian...I thought Rhett was joking at first when he posted that topic...too funny

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »
  So is my wife. I wonder if you're related.

Originally posted by grotty:
  I'm mostly Lithuanian.

[/b]
I knew Lithuania was small, but not THAT small  :eek:

Celeste

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 02:31:00 pm »
it's actually kind of ironic, given some of the traditional Lithuanian dishes I recall---kugeli (a potato casserole with bacon grease) beet soup (sour cream based) and bacon buns!

mankie

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 02:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

I am at least half Lithuanian...[/b]
which half?