Author Topic: The Olympics Thread  (Read 84477 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Olympics Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2010, 09:43:23 am »
suck it 51st state!

stilll on a high.  i have the most supportive wife EVER - not sure i would have put up with myself last night.  can't believe that i'm not hungover this morning... what a night. 

And on another note, is anyone watching these Closing Ceremonies?

sorry, i was outside running laps at the time.

in related news:
Obama loses boozy bet with Harper
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:49 am »
i like that obama would have won yuengling
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2010, 10:15:37 am »
And on another note, is anyone watching these Closing Ceremonies? Embarrassingly weird. Dear Canada is doing their god-awful best to be a punchline at this point.

i had no idea it was that bad... my buddy compiled some of the best commentary/descriptions:

Vicemag: "This closing ceremony is pretty much the Canadian equivalent of blackface."
Nestruck: "Who produced this? Max Bialystock?"
"Nickelback, now Avril Lavigne, that's two of the four horsemen of Canadian music hell. Only Celine and Alannis to go." (we got alannis...)
EtotheZ: "Polite way to get people to leave your country is to play increasingly bad music until place clears out."
UnionSt: "Looks like TEAM USA fans got the last laugh."
"Um, isn't the closing ceremony of the Olympics supposed to be about the Olympics, not about Canadian identity angst?"

i like that obama would have won yuengling

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!  it's that kind of talk that makes seth think he can charge $8 for 12 oz of the stuff.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2010, 11:46:26 am »
It was sort of cool how both teams got this insane "go nuts" moment -- the US with the game tying goal with :25 left and Canada with the winner -- but man, I'd feel alot happier about the outcome if someone other than He Who Piggy Backs Much More Talented Teammates To Glory or He Who Forever Leads With Elbow had scored the game winner. That kinda sucked.
kris draper did not score the game winner
Who has ever glorified Kris Draper?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:40 am »
Vicemag: "This closing ceremony is pretty much the Canadian equivalent of blackface."
Awesome line, and true. They pretty much took every Canadian stereotype and had it on display. I was waiting for giant a 40' "Eh?" on wheels at any second.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »
It was sort of cool how both teams got this insane "go nuts" moment -- the US with the game tying goal with :25 left and Canada with the winner -- but man, I'd feel alot happier about the outcome if someone other than He Who Piggy Backs Much More Talented Teammates To Glory or He Who Forever Leads With Elbow had scored the game winner. That kinda sucked.
kris draper did not score the game winner
Who has ever glorified Kris Draper?
besides the selke trophy, four cups, nickname and the 1000 games played for the wings list? makes more sense as a "he who piggy backs much more talented teammates to glory" than whoever you were driving at
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »
The Russians aren't happy:

?Let?s put up a bunch of guillotines and gallows,? Vyacheslav Bykov, the [Russian Hockey] team?s coach was quoted as saying last week. ?We have 35 people on the hockey team. Let?s go to Red Square and dispatch with them all.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/world/europe/02moscow.html?hp

vansmack

« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »
i have the most supportive wife EVER - not sure i would have put up with myself last night. 

Who was she rooting for?
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2010, 02:51:20 pm »
i have the most supportive wife EVER - not sure i would have put up with myself last night. 

Who was she rooting for?

you're not going to like the answer ;D

said the missus to our hosts, "he's so cute when canada scores, plus, i get more kisses".

hey, you asked.
<sig>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:17 pm »
harmonix kept their work on Rock Band: Beatles quiet by using the code name Rock Band: Nickelback because they assumed no one would be interested in a Rock Band: Nickelback game.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2010, 04:08:59 pm »
i wouldnt get 87 on a sweater

Yeah, you'd have to be a really big pussy to have a sweater with Crosby on it.  Especially if it was the light blue one.....

Welcome back to the thread. I wanted to make sure you didn't miss this dig at you....
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2010, 04:12:00 pm »

Yeah, you'd have to be a really big pussy to have a sweater with Crosby on it.  Especially if it was the light blue one.....

Welcome back to the thread. I wanted to make sure you didn't miss this dig at you....

until there's a brooks orpik sweater, i'm going with crosby.

my wife was trying to make a canadian redneck joke about crosby, but didn't know where he was from- i was tempted to play along and say newfoundland, but i didn't.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2010, 04:30:52 pm »

i totally responded to it!

i hate the light blue. as my dad says 'just reminds you of when they were terrible'

but in dc you have to go crosby. pisses off caps fans the most
my twitter feed last night reinforced my decision

i tried to find an orpik sweater actually. no dice

seriously a perfect olympics. crosby is the hero, usa gets the silver, finns get the bronze, russia gets embarrassed and directv sponsors a commercial free third period

now back to the nhl
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:32:48 pm by godsshoeshine »
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2010, 04:54:14 pm »
i totally responded to it!

By now I hope you've seen venerable's post.  And for the record, I like the light blue sweater...
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2010, 05:01:54 pm »
i was bummed you didnt respond back. i was all ready for a friday afternoon bickering-about-something-silly-fest
o/\o