Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 54968 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: World Cup 2010
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2010, 10:34:04 am »
depends if you're asking uruguayan.

from lagas' article: "Suárez is being hailed as a hero in his home country but the incident has provoked condemnation in other parts of the world."
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2010, 11:47:58 am »
The Germans are just plain bad ass.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2010, 11:53:57 am »
surgical.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2010, 06:09:04 pm »
selfless.  The entire German squad.  I still hate them, but that was something to watch.  I predicted they'd score four, but I certainly didn't see them shutting out the Argies.

And Suarez should not see another World Cup game this tournament - I'd give him at least two games.  That being said, he's got a future in Uruguayan politics. Incredible play, even if completely contrary to the spirit of the game.
27>34

Mobius

« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »
This German team reminds you that Germany is the country of Beethoven and Kraftwerk . . .represents their best light.  There are still villains, but also positive characters.  Mueller has been the revelation of the tournament, has he not?

I saw Suarez' hand ball as good tactics, although I don't think it was a premeditated decision . . .just a desperate reaction.  He did the crime and he and Uraguay did/will do the time . . .and they survive and advance.  Essentially Ghana was at the cusp and Suarez posed the question 'Are you Ready?' and Ghana looked within itself, saw the Void, and responded 'We are not Ready.'  Then like a Zenmaster, Uruguay elegantly closed the show and sent Ghana back out to keep chopping wood.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2010, 01:21:22 am »
selfless.

very good point.  let's not forget the second half of that equation: disciplined.  it's great that they're willing to pass (instead of being greedy), but ya gotta have someone to pass to.  that was a problem for the US: someone would make a great run, be within easy striking distance, and he'd be up there alone with no one incoming.  zee deutsch always have someone (typically klose) sweeping in a few steps behind the play.

germany over holland, 3-1.
<sig>

Barcelona

« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »

Spain over Holland 2-1

vansmack

« Reply #187 on: July 04, 2010, 10:07:57 pm »

Spain over Holland 2-1

Holland over Germany, 2-1.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »
disciplined.  it's great that they're willing to pass (instead of being greedy), but ya gotta have someone to pass to.  that was a problem for the US: someone would make a great run, be within easy striking distance, and he'd be up there alone with no one incoming.

That's not discipline, that's talent.  The US needs a clear #9, and they don't have it.  Well, they do, but he couldn't even crack an Italian squad that couldn't get out of the first round.  I like Charlie Davies, but he's no Gessepie Rossi.  The US will not have a European manager until they have a decent #9.  And that's a shame.
27>34

lagas

« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2010, 09:36:14 am »
Uruguay over Germany 1-0
zorra

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2010, 08:41:21 pm »

from lagas' article: "Suárez is being hailed as a hero in his home country but the incident has provoked condemnation in other parts of the world."

I briefly spoke with my dad about this and when he won they didn't have cards but he felt he was properly punished.  It wasn't a "cheat" like Maradona or Theiry.

I thought it was funny how some think if the final is Germany/Holland it will be revenge for 1974.  Chris Connelly thinks the 1974 team was the most "critically acclaimed" sports team of all-time.  So what would the equivalent be?  U2 vs The Smiths?  U2 vs Big Star?

Ummm....Germany def. Spain on Wednesday.....2-2 (PK-4-3)

And I have to go with Uruguay tomorrow for the simple fact that it's AMAZING the Jeremy Roenick can be SO awesome at TWO sports.

Brian

vansmack

« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2010, 09:49:13 pm »
I thought it was funny how some think if the final is Germany/Holland it will be revenge for 1974. 

That's weird.  I think it will be revenge for May 10, 1940.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »

I briefly spoke with my dad about this and when he won they didn't have cards but he felt he was properly punished.  It wasn't a "cheat" like Maradona or Theiry.

I thought it was funny how some think if the final is Germany/Holland it will be revenge for 1974.  Chris Connelly thinks the 1974 team was the most "critically acclaimed" sports team of all-time.  So what would the equivalent be?  U2 vs The Smiths?  U2 vs Big Star?

Ummm....Germany def. Spain on Wednesday.....2-2 (PK-4-3)

And I have to go with Uruguay tomorrow for the simple fact that it's AMAZING the Jeremy Roenick can be SO awesome at TWO sports.

Brian

who is your dad?  someone i should know?

who is Chris Connelly?  someone i should know?

germany destroys spain on wednesday... like they have everyone else recently.  i'll be generous and say 4-2.  los espanoles could only muster 1 goal against paraguay - their defense was solid, but you'll need better offense to keep up with zie deutsch.

That's weird.  I think it will be revenge for May 10, 1940.

smackie, i love you.  again.
<sig>

Mobius

« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2010, 12:54:37 pm »
Spain has a defense and goaltender to compete with germany unlike england and argentina.  Obviously torres should sit and spain needs someone other than david villa to finish.  But that hasn't happenened yet and there's no reason to think it will happen tomorrow.  Mueller has been a tremendous catalyst so maybe his absence drops the attack from audi to volkswagon.

Too bad uruguay not at full strength

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »
on the flip side, spain could only muster one goal against paraguay... the paraguayan defense was solid, but so is the german's.  spain is going to have to score a lot of goals to keep up with the germans, something they haven't been doing this tournament.

and in other news:
argentinians have at least one reason why they should be grateful that their team didn't go all the way - because maradona would have
<sig>