Author Topic: Lollapalooza 2010  (Read 32434 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Lollapalooza 2010
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2010, 04:25:06 pm »
How would you even know?  You didn't even stay through their set.

he read it on a blog.
<sig>

MonkeyPants

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2010, 12:11:11 am »
That is the right answer sweetcell ;)

Um, you didn't even stay for four songs. I have the text that says you left after three ;)

Four songs is enough to know that they have nothing to offer musically....they should just be an accapella band!

GARBAGE:

Black Keys (is this even music?)

How would you even know?  You didn't even stay through their set.
PANTS

eros

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2010, 08:34:33 am »
Good:

All the headliners I saw (Arcade Fire, Strokes - even though they kind of mailed it in, Green Day)

Green Day ROCKED.  The music snob perception of them is that they are lame but you HAD to be entertained by them.   Green Day's set was like Ted Nugent meets the Buzzcocks.

I was talking about the Strokes who mailed it in.  Agree 100% on Green Day.  Tons of fun - I was even contemplating going to the show tonight out at the seventh circle of hell (Nissan/Jiffy Lube)
ʎɐʍou

Vas Deferens

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2010, 08:44:20 am »
overheard people say that Green Day's medley of classic rock songs was terribleeeeee.
(_|_)

wml7

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2010, 12:33:13 pm »
Dates for next year announced Aug 5-7, just booked my room  ;D

eros

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2010, 01:02:48 pm »
overheard people say that Green Day's medley of classic rock songs was terribleeeeee.

It's Green Day, what would you expect? 

I liked it well enough.  But hey, I'm old.
ʎɐʍou

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2010, 05:14:17 pm »
me and all my friends loved it. it was fun and fit into the show. not sure what on earth your friends (or whoever you heard) was expecting - but they gave it their all and put on one hell of a show. maybe they should have left for phoenix.

HeyLa

Bags

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2010, 02:38:03 pm »
Green Day was awesome, GaGa was awful.  That blog post a few pages back captured it perfectly -- it felt like a faded carbon copy of a circa 1998 Madonna show.  Her banter made you want to poke out your eardrums.  And the amazing amazing sets reminded me of a regional touring stage set for "Rent."  Didn't bother with the Strokes...they never have done much for me live.

Would have loved to see Phoenix, but I was in for Green Day and I can't believe I chose poorly.

I enjoyed Social D, Devo, Temper Trap (enjoyed them much more once I moved into the crowd -- I wasn't getting the energy when sitting out on the edge of the stage area).  Hated Matt & Kim.  Somehow they think screeching "fuck" a lot makes you forget there are only two of them on stage.

Saw others that were fine (hot chip, etc.)  The xx did NOT work in a venue like this -- nap time.

Missed a lot as I was galavanting in Chicago with friends who live there, etc.  All in all a great weekend, but I've had better "music" weekends.

agenthal

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2010, 07:36:57 pm »
But was very disappointed with Empire of the Sun, who was expecting more from. Their show was impressive, but their music may have been completely canned. Too bad, though playing the woods might not be the best place to see them.

i watched 2 songs on youtube, and it looked like what i'd expect - live guitars & vocals, an occasional synth, and just about everything else sequenced (slightly different than purely canned, but i'm splitting hairs).  it's dance music.  it wasn't written live, so that they chose not to interpret it live is understandable.

they could have used a live drummer, but that's dicey for EDM.  most electronic acts (like thievery corp in recent years) don't use a live drummer because a human can't play evenly and predictably enough.

and personally, i think a dance party under the trees is an awesome idea, mostly because i've been at some great EMD parties in the forest.  not to say that lolla's interpretation of that concept was successful...

I saw them last Monday in NYC and they did everything live, including a drummer. Was an awesome show! I guess it's a good thing I stuck to Arcade Fire that night though?

Best decision I made all weekend was leaving MGMT for The Temper Trap. Also awesome was winning sidestage passes for the Playstation stage and sitting on the stage for Metric. :D The Soundgarden preshow at the Vic was fun, but not AMAZING like I had hoped. Lady Gaga can sing, but she talked WAY too much. After camping out all day to be close for her show, it pissed me off quite a bit. Devo was a lot of fun, as was Balkan Beat Box, Gogol Bordello (DUH), Mute Math, and The National. I really don't like Green Day, but I have to say, I quite enjoyed their set! I was also a bit let down by Arcade Fire, but that may just be because I didn't have a good spot and couldn't see well. Though at least because of where I was standing, I caught Alex from Edward Sharpe as he was leaving and got a picture. :) It was a great 5 days of music for me, and I'm still recovering! Here's my photos and videos if anyone's interested:

Soundgarden at the Vic: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Soundgarden%20August%205%202010%20Chicago/
Day 1: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Lollapalooza%20Day%201%202010/
Day 2: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Lollapalooza%20Day%202%202010/
Day 3: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Lollapalooza%20Day%203%202010/
Empire of the Sun in NYC: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Empire%20of%20the%20Sun%20NYC%20August%209%202010/

lily1

« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2010, 07:49:25 am »
This has me thinking though.  Maybe a different way to do Lolla is just go to Chicago and see what's in clubs.  Skip the fest, enjoy the full city, and see a few bands rather than a gaggle.

this is exactly what i did in 2006 and it worked out great. i just went to the pre/after parties/concerts  on friday and saturday nights.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:52:47 am by lily1 »

wml7

« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:30 am »
But was very disappointed with Empire of the Sun, who was expecting more from. Their show was impressive, but their music may have been completely canned. Too bad, though playing the woods might not be the best place to see them.

i watched 2 songs on youtube, and it looked like what i'd expect - live guitars & vocals, an occasional synth, and just about everything else sequenced (slightly different than purely canned, but i'm splitting hairs).  it's dance music.  it wasn't written live, so that they chose not to interpret it live is understandable.

they could have used a live drummer, but that's dicey for EDM.  most electronic acts (like thievery corp in recent years) don't use a live drummer because a human can't play evenly and predictably enough.

and personally, i think a dance party under the trees is an awesome idea, mostly because i've been at some great EMD parties in the forest.  not to say that lolla's interpretation of that concept was successful...

I saw them last Monday in NYC and they did everything live, including a drummer. Was an awesome show! I guess it's a good thing I stuck to Arcade Fire that night though?

Best decision I made all weekend was leaving MGMT for The Temper Trap. Also awesome was winning sidestage passes for the Playstation stage and sitting on the stage for Metric. :D The Soundgarden preshow at the Vic was fun, but not AMAZING like I had hoped. Lady Gaga can sing, but she talked WAY too much. After camping out all day to be close for her show, it pissed me off quite a bit. Devo was a lot of fun, as was Balkan Beat Box, Gogol Bordello (DUH), Mute Math, and The National. I really don't like Green Day, but I have to say, I quite enjoyed their set! I was also a bit let down by Arcade Fire, but that may just be because I didn't have a good spot and couldn't see well. Though at least because of where I was standing, I caught Alex from Edward Sharpe as he was leaving and got a picture. :) It was a great 5 days of music for me, and I'm still recovering! Here's my photos and videos if anyone's interested:

Soundgarden at the Vic: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Soundgarden%20August%205%202010%20Chicago/
Day 1: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Lollapalooza%20Day%201%202010/
Day 2: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Lollapalooza%20Day%202%202010/
Day 3: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Lollapalooza%20Day%203%202010/
Empire of the Sun in NYC: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/agenthal/Empire%20of%20the%20Sun%20NYC%20August%209%202010/

Nice photos, how did you get tickets for the Soundgarden vic show??  Did you win from the email signup??  Here are my videos from the weekend if anyone is interested  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/user/godieinhell2?feature=chclk

agenthal

« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2010, 12:12:49 am »
Nope, I did what any person who knows about fans on message boards does... I went to the Soundgarden message board and begged someone to let me be their +1 for face value. Managed to get my friend in too, it was sweet.  ;D Any band with a hardcore fanbase has fans who aren't greedy and just want other fans at the show, thank god...

agenthal

« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2010, 12:15:05 am »
As you should know, as I totally know who you are now looking at your vids. You were at all the Muse gigs I went to. XD I used a bunch of your videos when I was doing that fan edit... and, I assume you use the Muse boards, like any sane Muse fan would, because they're awesome. You going to the Charlottesville show and shit? I'm doing Wembley, woo!

wml7

« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2010, 08:54:06 am »
Nope, I did what any person who knows about fans on message boards does... I went to the Soundgarden message board and begged someone to let me be their +1 for face value. Managed to get my friend in too, it was sweet.  ;D Any band with a hardcore fanbase has fans who aren't greedy and just want other fans at the show, thank god...

well that was a good idea.  It was lucky of you to find someone for yourself and your friend.  haha, i'm glad you like my videos.  Yeah, i'll be in Charlottesville for their show.  I've got a floor ticket  ;D

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2010, 11:36:43 am »
I got a copy of the Soundgarden show from the Vic. Pretty much the best setlist you could ask for. Although 4th of July isn't the same anymore.