Author Topic: for nkotb  (Read 167544 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: for nkotb
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2016, 12:16:16 pm »
<sig>

« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2016, 04:35:09 pm »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #227 on: January 01, 2017, 07:30:13 pm »
27>34

walkie,talkie

« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2017, 10:56:48 pm »
My parents walked out of Rouge One because They said it was boring and The scenes were Too dark.

Relaxer

« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2017, 11:26:15 am »
My kids thought it was boring and we are all confused by what was going on half the time. Neither kid liked it very much, and I didn't either. But part of it was that I was constantly having to get up and get someone water or take someone to the bathroom or deal with whatever the fuck issue some child was having. I was in charge of 5 kids at the theater so it was a recipe for disaster.

I went to see it again with no kids and liked it quite a bit more. I still don't think it's a very good movie. The way it just stomps all over its own jokes/punchlines is so ham-handed, and I don't find any of the characters interesting in the slightest. But it was pretty neat how it built up and then slotted neatly into 'Star Wars'.

So I went from giving it a 4/10 to a 7/10. Has some great parts, has some stupid parts, story is good, characters are mediocre, kind of how Return of the Jedi exists in my mind.

Meanwhile, I went back and re-watched Force Awakens and that is the far superior movie. There are things about that one I don't love, like the whole "MY SON" thing that Han does, but it's a solid continuation and I *do* like the characters in that one.

oword

vansmack

« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2017, 04:02:48 pm »
I am not sure if I am less shocked that young children didn't know what was going on in a movie rated PG-13, or that someone that took 5 young children missed most of the movie.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2017, 04:16:10 pm »
I am not sure if I am less shocked that young children didn't know what was going on in a movie rated PG-13, or that someone that took 5 young children missed most of the movie.
Actually neither of those things seem particular surp-- oh, I see what you did there.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2017, 04:40:30 pm »
Well, to clarify, three of the kids are 12 years old and two are 8 years old, both of whom are younger brothers to the 12 yr olds. So they're all growing up in a Fast & Furious world and are pretty sophisticated when it comes to movies, relative to their age groups.

But I can tell you that when I saw it the first time, I had zero idea how Forest Whitaker fit into any of the plot (I missed that it was him who stuck his head down the hole where the girl was hiding) and I couldn't really figure out how Diego Luna was involved (missed his "I've been fighting in the rebellion since I was 6" speech).

I also thought the blond evil Director guy was two different people because in his outdoor scenes, his face was often twisted and animated and when he was inside talking to his superiors, he was much more calm and stoic. So I thought there were two evil directors, one of which was an outdoorsy loose canon and then his more buttoned-up doppelganger inside.

Also, I really didn't like how in the first 15 minutes, the movie bounces to like a dozen different locations, all getting subtitles. The original trilogy didn't need to do that because it was clean filmmaking.

oword

walkie,talkie

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2017, 04:44:55 pm »
I haven't seen it yet.  Care to share The entire film with Me?

vansmack

« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2017, 01:00:00 pm »
I'm calling it now:

Episode IX: No, There is Another
27>34

« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »
I'm calling it now:

Episode IX: Electric Boogaloo
FTFY
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »
I'm calling it now:

Episode IX: No, There is Another

almost?

<sig>

« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:02 pm »
almost?
I believe he's saying 8 will be "The Last Jedi" (as reported) and 9 will be "No, There Is Another" as a retort to 8.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2017, 04:31:26 pm »
I miss NKOTB, because when I talk to him about nerdy things I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN THEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlu_RpElBs

27>34

walkie,talkie

« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2017, 01:58:36 pm »
oh, nkotb . . . we don't even really know each other, but if you were here, we would talk about Rouge One, and how I went to see it last night for the first time.  It is about to leave all theatres round these parts, so this was a shot at it.

I, well, uhm, I, liked it, not loved it, not "I am having a hard time putting this in the correct position of top 4 best Star Wars films of all time."  It is difficult to say why I did not love worship it, like a kid might, like a die hard 'who cares fan' might.  Maybe I demand the quality of what happened in the last 30 or so minutes of the film, to be a lot more throughout the Star Wars film.  Thrill me from the first 10 minutes to the last.  Yes you can have a story line developing, but this movie was too much of a build story to get to that point of "Go Go Go, ooh, are they going to make it" moments.  And I did like the few nods to the next film, that popped up here and there.