Author Topic: Metal heads, young and old, I need advice!  (Read 3269 times)

Bartelby

Metal heads, young and old, I need advice!
« on: June 04, 2005, 02:42:00 pm »
I got an iPod mini as a present for a friend who lives in Calif. so I don't have access to his music library to see what groups he's crazy about - and I am totally clueless about metal or numetal.  I'm setting up his iPod prior to "gifting" him, with a few of my fav. groups and I want to download a handful of some suggestions from you all...Here's a couple groups/musicians he loves:  Frank Zappa, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Rush - and he talks about Geddy Lee, Geezer Butler...Can anyone out there give me a few old classic picks and a couple new groups' songs?  HELPPPP!  Tanks muchly.

Random Citizen

Re: Metal heads, young and old, I need advice!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
There was just a thread on the Velvet Rope discussing the best metal/hard rock songs ever. That may help you.

madteletubbie

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
Some of my favorite metal bands are as followed (most of them belonging to Thrash metal): Judas Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden (speaking of, Bruce Dickinson's solo work is consistantly strong), Mercyful Fate (and King Diamond as well) Overkill, Exodus, Testament, Anthrax, Slayer, Sepultura. Those are the main ones and all are established classics. Don't know if your friend would likes any of those those, though.

I'm not too current with a lot of new and upcoming metal bands nowadays but one of my favorites has been Strapping Young Lad and the Devin Townsend Band (both bands are fronted by surprise! Devin Townsend). Though neither act fully fits into the traditional "metal" sound, they still kick lots of booty (SYL being the more aggresive band and DTB being the more melodic). Hope that helps.

Shadrach

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
If he likes Sabbath there's a pretty good chance he'd like Clutch or would like Clutch if he's not already into them.

twangirl

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 04:57:00 pm »
throw some old Motorhead on there too!

samrb

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 05:20:00 pm »
The following 'new' metal bands will make you shit your pants. I promise you.
 THE RED CHORD - fused together in revolving doors
 BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME - Silent Circus
 DARKEST HOUR - anything and everything
 CONVERGE - Jane Doe
 THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER - Unhallowed
 MASTODON - everyone has heard of this band right? check Leviathan, it really is that cool
 and finally, THE band by which all others in heavy metal must be judged . . . fuckin' MESSHUGA.
 so yeah . . . make yo ears bleed!
 SAMRB

flawd101

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 07:58:00 pm »
darkest hour, BDM, and converge!?!?!
 finally someone who doesn't suck!?!?!

i love this person...kind of...him or her?

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 01:59:00 am »
Sushi, post this question on the music forum of Doomlink, direct it to a user named Condor Legion, I guarantee you'll get expert advice.  :)
_\|/_

dogman

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 02:08:00 am »
try KING'S X......start with their masterpiece, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, then check out Dogman.

smakawhat

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 04:28:00 pm »
OKAY...

For Sabbath.. well.. any of the old classic stuff Paranoid, NIB, Sweet Leaf.. etc etc... if you wann f-em up, put the Iron Man version cover done by "The Cardigans"

For Iron Maiden,  number of the beast, anything from the Piece of Mind album.

Rush - well so many... anything from the Moving Pictures, Signals, Power Windows, albums.  2112 (yes the whole thing).

It's obvious your friend is a big bass playing fiend since he is gravitating towards metal/rock bands where the bass players have lots of chops.

That aside put this stuff on as well for NEW

Determined - Mudvayne
 Anything from Soilwork (Natural Born Chaos, Predator's Portrait, Stabbing the Drama)
 Anything from In Flames (Reroute to Remain, Clayman, Colony, etc..)
 Meshuggah - chaosphere!!!
 OPETH - "Funeral Portrait" (I am not a big fan of the band but this song is FRIGGIN awesome, can't deny it's genius along with a few others)
 I could write more on this but man I wanna leave work soon    :)

Bartelby

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »
Many thanks to you all.  I've noted every recommendation, and now I'm thinking...Holy Cwap - I need a bigger iPod...but I already started downloading, so maybe next birthday...an upgrade will be in order...and yes, he's a bass playin' fool fer sure. I'm fascinated by this group Messhuga...wonder if they'll every play around here.

sacriforce

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
More recommendations -

PIG DESTROYER - they're from NOVA and they're the best thing out there. Bar none.
 ION DISSONANCE - mathcore, blood and guts
 PROBOT - actually pretty good/funny/rockin
 CRYPTOPSY - fuckin brutal
 SUFFOCATION - also brutal
 DEICIDE - the absolute kings of florida deathmetal
 SINAI BEACH - would you believe they're christian?
 LAMB OF GOD - standard bearers for new new metal
 FULL BLOWN CHAOS - metalcore from Queens. neyong Hatebreed.
 DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN - spaz/blast/mathcore

as well check out IN FLAMES, AT THE GATES, AS I LAY DYING, EVERYTIME I DIE, GOD FORBID, MARTYR A.D., DIMMU BORGIR, EMPEROR, IMMOLATION and I heartily second DARKEST HOUR, MESHUGGAH and classics like OPETH, CELTIC FROST, TESTAMENT et al.

might I also recommend SACRIFORCE RADIO for all your online radio needs, metal and waaaaaay otherwise

sacriforce

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 06:09:00 pm »
they played at State Theater 2 summers ago with strapping young lad and a really hot local mathcore band with 2 singers. Good show but a little preachy in between songs. they also openned for TOOL on certain dates of their last US tour around the same time.  

Originally posted by BadSushi:
  Many thanks to you all.  I've noted every recommendation, and now I'm thinking...Holy Cwap - I need a bigger iPod...but I already started downloading, so maybe next birthday...an upgrade will be in order...and yes, he's a bass playin' fool fer sure. I'm fascinated by this group Messhuga...wonder if they'll every play around here.

tenfifteen

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 08:50:00 pm »
Second the Mastodon recommendation, and would also add the newest disc by High on Fire: "Blessed Black Wings." Blistering.

smakawhat

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
Man Messhugah and Tool in concert.  That would have been a show to see..

Opeth did play 9:30 club I think last year if not 2 years ago.