Author Topic: Who Gets angry about free music?  (Read 4579 times)

killsaly

Re: Who Gets angry about free music?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »
Ive found that most of the free cds handed to me outside of shows were garbage.  They usually dont even have anything remotely to do with the kind of music the band that the crowd paid to see does.  For example, if I am coming out of a LCD Soundsystem show, what would make one think that I would want or be interested in a country band?  That usually doesnt happen, since everyone claims to be indie and alternative.  Maybe that night at the club was the wrong crowd for your cd pushing. 

I agree with not handing cds out.  Paper with a download code is way better for everyone involved.  I honestly cant think of the last cd I bought... I usually do digital, or vinyl with download card when i get music.  Change your business model to better fit in.  This is the 21st century, we need to watch our consumption. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 05:00:32 pm »
I always take'em, but I end up losing them in my car or someone throws it out.

Sorry!

That's what the internet is for.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »
And heed walkonby's warning - don't make it extremely difficult to get the D/L.

I know no marketing major would ever tell you to not collect information before the D/L, but there's no way I'm jumping through hoops to get a free D/L I know nothing about.  I get so much spam now that I rarely even add my email address for a free D/L from a band I've never heard of unless it was a recommendation from a trusted source.

Trust me, if I like your music, I'll go back and add my email to your list.
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 05:57:26 pm »
Years ago, a freebie CD was a treat but we've moved on. Promotional CDs in plain packages may now seem tossed off, unprofessional and desparate. They're like windshield spam, immediately crumbled up and tossed, often in the parking lot. Nowadays, a leaflet with a download address is probably better, but reluctant recipients may still feel put upon and bothered. Any physical item, including leaflets, passed onto another person becomes that person's problem to deal with. No, I don't want 1,000 signs for $99 or to listen to someone's DMB-meets-Jay-Z jam band. Many people don't have enough time and/or money to listen to the music they're already interested in; they don't want to be imposed to consider something else that is, more often than not, of no interest. They've developed their own filtering systems to find music they may like; forcing something else on them clogs those filters.

And enough with the MP3s. The MP3 is dead. Average download speeds are hundreds of times faster than when Napster started. Hard drives are now measured in terabytes. I no longer download lossy files (with occasional exceptions). ALAC or FLAC, please, or move along.

I still prefer physical media as the final finished product, although I'm starting to move to lossless files for singles and EPs.
😐 🎶

rocknocerous

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 06:05:04 pm »
Wow, this is great insight. Honestly, people who like music are who I strive to appeal to. I figure that if I goto a "like minded" band's concert, the person there will find my music in a somewhat similar vein and dig it. And you would be surprised how difficult it is to ascertain what they want in "free music". Do they want a disk? Thumb drive? Free download? I ask myself these sorts of questions a lot before I give anything away. The way I have thought of it is something like this: If someone is driving to 930, they got a cd player in their car... I hand them a Cd and a lovefest ensues... or so I hope. On the flip side, it's funny because some people simply want to be spoon fed everything from a label. To those I have no answer, but I'm hoping that there remain an open minded few that are willing to try new things that aren't highly corporatized.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »
I only get mad that you hand out CD's.  Tangible media is dead.

Hand me a slip of paper where I can download it or give me a flash drive with your tracks on it that I can reuse.

I don't think this is a very valid point.    On a slip of paper, the odds are 99.9999 percent certain that it will end up in the trash before getting anywhere near a download.    On a flash drive, the odds are 99.99999 percent that the media will get written over before ever being heard.

The only way a free CD at a show is likely to be heard is if someone takes it and pops it into their CD player on the drive home.   Once you get past those initial moments, into the next day, I'd say the odds greatly diminish.

All in all I don't think handing out stuff at a club is a very effective promotional technique... but it must work or people won't do it, right?  Anyway, effective or not there's no reason for people to get mad.

Finally, it's worth noting there were jerks at the old club too... but since the capacity was 500 rather than 2,000, there were fewer of them.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:10:54 pm by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 07:31:52 pm »
And enough with the MP3s. The MP3 is dead. Average download speeds are hundreds of times faster than when Napster started. Hard drives are now measured in terabytes. I no longer download lossy files (with occasional exceptions). ALAC or FLAC, please, or move along.

most music is consumed on portable players nowadays - you think folks are going to stuff their ipod nanos with loseless?  that would mean holding 4 to 5 times less music.  furthermore, the limiting factor for fidelity is the player and earphones.  there is little to no perceivable difference between a 256 mp3 and loseless on an ipod (even with after-market headphones).

and with the ADD'ness of today's consumer, downloading a 4 MB mp3 is a chore (even if it takes "only" 20 seconds)... what do you think their reaction will be to a 20 MB flac download?  "sheesh, that's going to take over a minute!  forget about it!"

as an audiophile, MP3 might be dead to you - but it's alive and well with the average consumer.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:18 pm »

most music is consumed on portable players nowadays - you think folks are going to stuff their ipod nanos with loseless?  that would mean holding 4 to 5 times less music.  furthermore, the limiting factor for fidelity is the player and earphones.  there is little to no perceivable difference between a 256 mp3 and loseless on an ipod (even with after-market headphones).

and with the ADD'ness of today's consumer, downloading a 4 MB mp3 is a chore (even if it takes "only" 20 seconds)... what do you think their reaction will be to a 20 MB flac download?  "sheesh, that's going to take over a minute!  forget about it!"

as an audiophile, MP3 might be dead to you - but it's alive and well with the average consumer.

There's enough of a difference in sound quality between lossy and lossless for a growing number of people to care. Lossy compression was a necessary evil in the days of 56.6kbps dial-up and "gargantuan" 50GB hard drives but those days are long over. MP3s are the wax cylinders of the digital era. Keep offering the MP3 for the ADDled but please offer lossless for more critical listeners. I'm well into a project of re-ripping my CD collection into lossless. My next iPhone will likely have 64GB of capacity (still speculative, of course). I devote 5GB of my current 8GB iPhone to music; I'll devote 50GB on the next and still be able to load twice as much music as on my current device, and with better sound.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:45 pm »
The only way a free CD at a show is likely to be heard is if someone takes it and pops it into their CD player on the drive home.   

I was unaware that the majority of concert goers still drive to concerts in DC.  I am fairly confident that they don't here in SF.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:10 pm »
The only way a free CD at a show is likely to be heard is if someone takes it and pops it into their CD player on the drive home.   

I was unaware that the majority of concert goers still drive to concerts in DC.  I am fairly confident that they don't here in SF.

I'm not sure what you found in my post to enable you to surmise that a majority of concert goers were driving.  I certainly didn't say that.
_\|/_

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 11:41:05 pm »
One thing that is apparent from this thread is that there are a lot of different preferences with how one would rather sample your music. Forget that a lot seem to assume that everyone thinks as they do.  ::) Just goes to show that you should be a bit more versatile.

Personally, I much prefer the hard CD, especially if I end up liking your music. They become cool promo items for my collection. If not, well someone else might like it.

Flyers and postcards will definitely get lost in my purse or before I ever bother to investigate online. Even if it survives, it still has to work its way into my agenda for any given day. I need something extra to entice me to do so if you aren't already on my want to check you out radar. 

I'm not a lossless snob and would prefer a decent higher grade MP3. That's my compromise between space and quality. Not all of us can afford to upgrade our techno lives with the extra bells and whistles and there are lots of us out there. Do not assume that everyone has all the new toys which is another reason to offer CDs for those not even digitally equiped. Don't go below 192kps though. A lot of bands use 128kps and they are just too damned thin and crappy sounding. In fact, I'd suggest you sign up with Bandcamp.com and offer some free tracks there. Let the consumer decide on their format. You can download the level and type of your choice. You just have to get them there.

Ideally, I'd say give them a CD with a card that has the info for getting into your web address/es which allows them to download digital copies. Take extra cards so that if you run out of CDs, or Smackie wanders along, you can just give them the digital directions.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:11 am »
There's enough of a difference in sound quality between lossy and lossless for a growing number of people to care.
(...)
Keep offering the MP3 for the ADDled but please offer lossless for more critical listeners.

that "growing number", unfortunately, is now 2% of the population instead of 1% (or maybe 6% instead 2%... i'm guessing here).  huge gains, but i'm not sure it's enough to move an industry.  yet.

My next iPhone will likely have 64GB of capacity (still speculative, of course). I devote 5GB of my current 8GB iPhone to music; I'll devote 50GB on the next and still be able to load twice as much music as on my current device, and with better sound.

don't get me wrong, i'm all for higher fidelity - but the average iphone buyer isn't thinking "twice the music and better quality" - they're thinking "TEN TIMES MORE MUSIC!!!".

One thing that is apparent from this thread is that there are a lot of different preferences with how one would rather sample your music. Forget that a lot seem to assume that everyone thinks as they do.  ::)

yup.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:03:21 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 02:03:27 am »

i don't remember taking public transpo or walking to the last show i went to with you in the bay area just a few weeks ago... and i seem to remember music being played on our way there.  just sayin'.
<sig>